It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Garden of Eden Found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Scientists recently found over several dozen new species of frogs, birds, and plants on the islands of Indonesia. The area is about 2 million acres of tropical rainforest, and shows know signs of ever having been inhabited.

www.msnbc.msn.com
'JAKARTA, Indonesia - Describing it as the discovery of a “Lost World,” conservation groups and Indonesia on Tuesday said an expedition to one of Asia’s most isolated jungles had found several dozen new species of frogs, butterflies, flowers and birds."

“It’s as close to the Garden of Eden as you’re going to find on Earth,” Bruce Beehler, a Conservation International scientist who led the expedition, said in a statement"

“The first bird we saw at our camp was a new species,” he added. “Large mammals that have been hunted to near extinction elsewhere were here in abundance. We were able to simply pick up two Long-Beaked Echidnas, a primitive egg-laying mammal that is little known.”

"The team of U.S., Indonesian and Australian scientists ventured into the Foja Mountains of Papua province last December. The remote area covers more than two million acres of old growth tropical forest."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I find this pretty amazing. It reminds me of something I read the other day. It said like scientists estimate there are about 100-300 million species of animals and plants on this earth. We know about 30 million, and of that 30 million we only have detailed knowledge of about 1 million. I wonder what's the next major find in a hundred years. Maybe some of these creatures we know as myths, are real...

[edit on 7/2/06 by SFRemmy]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I recommend that everyone click that link and check out the photo slideshow. Those animals they've found are GORGEOUS!!

Now I just hope that we humans will respect one of the last untouched sanctuaries on earth and let the animals be!

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Once again.. Someone beat me to it... I found another article on this subject here .

It's amazing that things like this are still being discovered to this day.

join