It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pics of Eurofighter crash landing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Here are some pics of the Eurofighter that crash landed a few days back because the nose landing gear did not come down.

Credits to :

Very sad
but its fascinating that there was someone taking pictures ! Thankfully the pilot made it, and this was thankfully not as serious as the first crash when both the engines failed when the pilot hit the afterburner on both the engines simentaneously. From the pics it looks as if the engine blew out during this crash land as well.

[edit on 4-2-2006 by Stealth Spy]

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Not good that
Great photography though

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Nasty, credit to the pilot for bringing her down safely.

Is it a British Euro Fighter? No markings i can see, any one know?
Never mind i just read the link, didnt notice it at first.

[edit on 4-2-2006 by Janus]

[edit on 4-2-2006 by Janus]

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Yeah, it's British. Pretty good condition -may not be a write-off.

I'm surprised he didn't ditch the ASRAAM under the wings although the abscence of any AMRAAM under the fuselage suggests he ditched those. Would have been nasty if he'd had the AMRAAM under the belly on landing as they would probably come detached and bounce off the rear landing gear etc...

Also, note that he has the inflight refuelling probe extended - does this imply that the hydrallics for the probe and the front landing gear are a linked system? Or would he use the probe to increase drag?

[edit on 4-2-2006 by planeman]

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   
These things will always happen. The aircraft seems to be fairly intact. I think it can be repaired.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by planeman
Yeah, it's British. Pretty good condition -may not be a write-off.

I'm surprised he didn't ditch the ASRAAM under the wings although the abscence of any AMRAAM under the fuselage suggests he ditched those. Would have been nasty if he'd had the AMRAAM under the belly on landing as they would probably come detached and bounce off the rear landing gear etc...

Also, note that he has the inflight refuelling probe extended - does this imply that the hydrallics for the probe and the front landing gear are a linked system? Or would he use the probe to increase drag?

[edit on 4-2-2006 by planeman]

Regarding the typhoons hydrolics this link shows a diagram that indicates that yes infact the landing gear and inflight refueling probe are controlled by the same hydrolic gear box.

*my bad go to sub systems then hydrolics systems.

[edit on 4-2-2006 by buckaroo]

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy
From the pics it looks as if the engine blew out during this crash land as well.

Not surprising, since the inlets dug into the runway. The engines swallowed concrete, bits of the nose, bits of the inlets, etc. Even though the engines were probably unbent, they're certainly trashed by FOD.

Just goes to show that some inlet locations are just plain unfortunate for belly landings.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janus
Is it a British Euro Fighter? No markings i can see, any one know?

- If you look very closely you can see the RAF markings (on the tail just in front of the rudder low down and on the fusalage just below and behind the 2nd crew-member within the white and red 29 squadron 'bar' marking........here you go - ), as you can see , in 'real life' they are, of course, the 'toned down' variety but they are there (maybe your computer 'kit' is robbing you of the detail?
)

Great work from the crew, maybe the damage wasn't quite so bad (although I agree the engines probably got mashed with runway pieces). Sadly it probably happens to all 'types' at one point or another.

Certainly it'll be one to cannibalize if at worst it is a write off - it beats using the bang-seats and trashing the whole craft and all it's systems.

Respect and gratitude from the tax-payer guys!

[edit on 4-2-2006 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   
"nice" pics... Good that the pilots were behing the glass... Wonder what they were thinking at the exact moment when the plane crashed...

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
At sminkeypinkey.

I was looking for the Roundels

I dont know a great deal about airplanes, i thought all RAF planes had the roundels on them

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Janus, they do. And they are there on the fuselage, in between the two boxes with three red 'X's in them. They are hard to see because they are of the 'low viz' type which is very manfully described as being 'pink and powder blue', ducky

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
>>
Wonder what they were thinking at the exact moment when the plane crashed...
>>

'Statistically'-

OH Shhh....

OH God.......

Please, Mother....

Occupy the top 90% of last words ever spoken with a direct preference skew towards social class, education and religious indoctrination. The other ten percent being unintelligible primal-scream combinations of the first three.

Just don't stand too close downwind as he 'walks away' from that landing...

Snicker, KPl.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Janus, they do. And they are there on the fuselage, in between the two boxes with three red 'X's in them. They are hard to see because they are of the 'low viz' type which is very manfully described as being 'pink and powder blue', ducky

Ah, i can see them now, pink and powder blue how very .... metrosexual

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Stealth Spy

The engine exploded because the intakes on the underneath of the aircraft. when the aircraft crash landed the carbon fiber off the nose cone got shreaded on the runway. the intakes sucked it in, and the engine exploded. NOT FROM THE AFTERBURNERS.

top topics

join