It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ecoterrorists Charged

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
11 people were indicted for arson across 5 western states. The people were part of various radical groups including the Earth Liberation Front and the Animal Liberation Front. The suspects who call themselves "The Family" have been convicted on 65 charges.

www.msnbc.msn.com
"WASHINGTON - Eleven people were indicted in arsons across five Western states that have been claimed by the radical groups Earth Liberation Front and Animal Liberation Front, the Justice Department said Friday."

"The 65-count indictment said the suspects called themselves “The Family” and are responsible for 17 incidents in California, Colorado, Oregon, Washington and Wyoming, including sabotaging a high-tension power line, in a conspiracy that dates back to 1996. The indictment was returned Thursday by a federal grand jury in Eugene, Ore., and unsealed Friday. "

“It is one thing to write concerned letters or to hold peaceful demonstrations,” Mueller said. “It is another thing entirely to construct and use improvised explosives to harass and intimidate victims by destroying property and to cause millions of dollars in losses by acts or threats of violence.”

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm all for protecting the environments, not so much regular animals, just endangered animals rights. However, this was not the way to do it. You don't commit arson and vandalism to get your way. That just makes everything so much worse and makes your group very misunderstood. Whatever happened to the days with the hippies back in the 60's and peaceful protests?

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I'm one of those wanna be hippies. Peaceful protests don't work so well when a corporation comes in and takes over towns over logging.(ruining the sustainable practices of redwoods for example.) Peaceful protest doesn't prevent environmental damage. Sierra Club does a lot of legal battles, but for every battle won, 100 are lost. The republic representation that we have is not representing the public anymore. Edward Abbey helped create the Sierra Club. My belief is that it has been infiltrated and will not be effective by the time this administration has fallen in 2008.

Your choices are extremely limited if you want to be a responsible environmentalist. Since this administration wants to steamroll over anything that gets in the way of the special interests' and in the name of profitability in the short run, the only way to fight it is with money. Some groups have decided to go this route and buy land, only to have the laws changed so they can take away the mineral rights, or the water rights, or the grazing rights etc.

If money is the only thing that talks, it only stands to reason, that the only way to fight it is with the pocketbook.

I can't say that I agree with the arson and damage, only because that would get me labelled as a enemy of the state, with all the wiretapping and loss of use of credit cards etc.

all environmentalists are under attack in this world. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the many in the future.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 07:43 AM
link   
u think its ok to put human lives at risk to save animals? I knew there were some nut jobs on these forums, but I’m blown away here.

Aren’t you basically saying you support this form of terrorism, just not openly because you are scared the authorities might snatch you up?

[edit on 24-1-2006 by Dronetek]

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Have you ever seen the results of a chainsaw hitting a spike that some ecoterrorist has hammered into a Douglas Fir? It ain't pretty, and is often permenently crippling. All in the name of saving a few trees, and habitat for animals who, when given time will adapt to the enviromental change.

In order to supposedly protect animals, these ecoterrorists become the very thing they abhor (supposedly) a destroyer.

Nature is infinitly adaptable, because in order to survive you must adapt. The Law of Nature: Adapt or die. Very simple.

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Please play nice here People!!!!!

Thanks

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I'ev got a permanently bad view of animal rights protester after my experiences.These uber PETA supporters at my school have totally lost any of my support they could have had. There's more than a few screws loose, more like nothing was ever attatched.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   
They won't put me on the jury.

I'll push for the death penalty.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   
not really on topic here, but just this week, a new road bypass at dalkieth, near Edinburgh, cleared a load of treetop protestors. once they cleared them they started to chop down the trees, only for a local to point out that there was a badger sett there. result. tree felling stopped.

top topics

join