It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen. Ted Kennedy member of sexist "Owl Club".

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Sen. Ted Kennedy...

Many people here on ATS have been bashing Mr. Alito for his membership in a group he has had no contact with for 20 years...yet about ever speaks about Sen. Ted Kennedy and the "Owl Club".

Link to Story.

Ironically, the Owl Club, long reviled at Harvard as "sexist," was evicted from the campus in 1984 for violating federal anti-discrimination laws authored by Kennedy.

Nice.

-- Boat

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Owl Club? More owls?

Does this have anything to do with the Bohemian Grove ?

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Firstly, as a private organization, they have a right to refuse membership to whoever they want, federal laws or not. Government shouldn't be able to control that.

That said, if the article is factual, he's still a hypocrite for it. It's time for partisanship to end and for America to unite against corruption, hypocrisy and stupdity in all parts of the government.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Couldn't have said it better myself.

mod edit to remove quote of previous post

[edit on 14-1-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoganCale
Firstly, as a private organization, they have a right to refuse membership to whoever they want, federal laws or not. Government shouldn't be able to control that.

I agree. But I think it was a school group at first.

he's still a hypocrite for it.

I know, after the dems grilled Alito on CAP.

-- Boat

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by eudaimonia
Owl Club? More owls?

Does this have anything to do with the Bohemian Grove ?

I'm not sure, but maybe.

-- Boat

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boatphone
Sen. Ted Kennedy...

Many people here on ATS have been bashing Mr. Alito for his membership in a group he has had no contact with for 20 years...yet about ever speaks about Sen. Ted Kennedy and the "Owl Club".

-- Boat

They aren't bashing Alito for being a member, that's just spin. They are upset about him lying about it. I mean, he put it on a resume, but then forget he was a member when asked about it. Ethics. Integrity. Lying. That's the issue.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
That website is hawking a book.

And, I would like to say, anyone who holds Teddy Kennedy up as the paragon of virtue needs to have their head examined. The fact that he's still alive speaks volumes about his lack of character.

People want to keep Alito off the big bench because they're afraid he plans to attack abortion rights, and that's a very valid concern, made nonetheless valid by your attack (or anyone else's) on Kennedy.

In fact, I'd like to take this oppurtunity to point out the inane nature of a process that uses unethical criminals as screeners to ostensibly prevent unethical criminals from infiltrating positions of power in our government. The whole thing is a farce.

[edit on 14-1-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Boatphone: Even as a school organization, I respect the decision to allow who they wish. Princeton is a private university. Note that I also respect Princeton's decision to remove the group, as that is also their choice.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoganCale
Boatphone: Even as a school organization, I respect the decision to allow who they wish. Princeton is a private university. Note that I also respect Princeton's decision to remove the group, as that is also their choice.

The "Owl Club" hails from Harvard.

-- Boat

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Forgive me, I scanned the article too quickly - something I need to work on. At any rate, the point still stands. Harvard is, as far as I know, a private school as well. Thank you for correcting me, though.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Alito admitted to his membership, but stated that those were not his veiws(now anyhow). Ive said this before and I'll say it again. People change through the course of their lives, based on experiences, education, and growing up. Its hard to bring up something that happened 20+ years ago and think this person hasnt changed during that period. I'm only 20 and Ive changed quite a bit in the 2.5 years since I was in high school. I just think this is political mudslinging. But you have to admit, Alito has had a stellar career. The BAR association unanimously gave him their highest rating. But politics are politics, what do you do?

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Its hard to bring up something that happened 20+ years ago and think this person hasnt changed during that period.

Who cares? The concern is that he lied about it!

That website is hawking a book.

Exactly. They'll say whatever they want to sell a book. It's just like when people come on here to say this herbal drug or that one does great things and gives a link to site that is selling the stuff as a source.

Nice attempt at coming at me with ammunition against Ted Kennedy Boat, but it just makes you look silly for feeling the need to do so ("I'm gonna show him. I'm gonna dig up some dirt on Ted Kennedy"). If you think Alito is so wonderful, why don't you start a fan club? Or ask him out on a date?

[edit on 15-1-2006 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
If you guys did not enjoy that link...

The Washington Times

According to the online membership directory of the Owl Club, the Massachusetts Democrat updated his personal information -- including the address of his home, which is in his wife's name -- on Sept. 7.

I don't care at all that Ted Kennedy was a member, I'm just pointing out the fact that he's jumping all over Mr. Alito for the same thing.

I personlly don't care about Ted Kennedy being an Owl Club member.

-- Boat

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme
They aren't bashing Alito for being a member, that's just spin. They are upset about him lying about it. I mean, he put it on a resume, but then forget he was a member when asked about it. Ethics. Integrity. Lying. That's the issue.

Nice. So, if they didn't care at all about his membership in CAP, why did they ask about it the first place? Use your head!

-- Boat

[edit on 15-1-2006 by Boatphone]

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme

I take exception to what you are saying. First yes they were bashing (Iprefer to call it Badgering myself).

As for lying I did not take one word of what he said about the organization as a lie and I watched all sessions where Alito answered questions put to him.

He was very forth right and answered to the best of his recollection and stated just that.

My take on it was the democrats wanted to try and trip into saying something they could use against him if he had forgotten something he said earlier. That too me is bashing/badgering someone simply because the individual asking the same questions over and over is just trying to get you to make an innocent mistake, especially when asked during a timed session.

As an example let me put this to those of you that are over 60. (you have a ten minute time limit) If asked could you name all magazine's you ever read; could you name each and every organization you ever visited or where a member of; would you be able to name each individual you ever met in your life? The answer of course would have to be no and if you said yes more then likely you would be lying to yourself, no one has a perfect memory and we all know it.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Ted Kennedy? I think that if I looked up the "hypocrite" in the dictionary I would find Ted's picture next to the word. He has never answered 1 question about any of his activities going back to Chappaquiddick, but now he's the democrats chief inquisitor? What a load of BS.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I don't care at all that Ted Kennedy was a member, I'm just pointing out the fact that he's jumping all over Mr. Alito for the same thing.

Ted has never denied being a member of this organization and has never forgotten that he was a member of it.

Mr. Alito has not integrity or character. "I don't recall being a member of that organization."

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Excitable_Boy
Ted has never denied being a member of this organization and has never forgotten that he was a member of it.

That is my point. Ted Kennedy was asking about this so called "sexist" group (CAP) when he himself knew full well (and had not foregotten) that he himself was a member of a questionable group himself!

As, for Mr. Alito not recalling being a member of CAP it is not important. He was not an active member, and if he was so what?

-- Boat

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   

As, for Mr. Alito not recalling being a member of CAP it is not important. He was not an active member, and if he was so what?

-- Boat

So what? He was an active member. Why was it on his resume? Why did he lie about it? What was he afraid of? What else is he hiding? Why did he look so scared during the hearing? Why does he enjoy putting people to death, whether they deserve it or not? Why does he hate women? Why is he so ambiguous on Roe Vs. Wade? Why does he believe in unchecked presidential power?

Here's an interesting tidbit from the Boston Globe:

"At this moment in American history, it would be hard to find a worse Supreme Court nominee than Samuel A. Alito Jr. His ideology captures everything extremist about the Bush administration. If confirmed, Alito would serve as Bush's enabler. He would give Bush effective control of all three branches of government and the hard-right long-term dominance of the high court. His confirmation or rejection will depend on the gumption of the Senate Democratic leadership and independence of a few Republicans. Alito, who would replace the moderate Sandra Day O'Connor, has never hidden his ultra-conservative views. Given the administration claims of an extra-legal presidency, what's most disturbing is the handy convergence of Alito's own conception of executive power and that of Bush. . . . Oddly, while Alito favors an almost monarchic executive, he believes the federal government has limited powers to protect the health and safety of Americans or safeguard the environment. Alito and and his compatriots in the Federalist Society are critical of the Supreme Court's holding since 1937 that Congress, under the Constitution's commerce clause, may regulate to assure everything from a safe and healthy workplace to honest financial markets." (See also Media Matters for America: Top Alito myths and falsehoods, Bill McGinnis: If Alito...Refuses to Answer Forthrightly and Completely, the Senate Should Simply Not Consent to His Appointment , Armando: Questions for ScAlito...on the President as King and New York Times Editorial: Judging Samuel Alito ). (1/10)

source: www.crisispapers.org...

[edit on 15-1-2006 by Excitable_Boy]

<<   2  3 >>

join