It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Earth to Mars in 3 hours possible?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
New Scientist magazine have an article noting a new theory that may allow the creation of engines able to power a spacecraft to Mars in 3 hours and to the next solar system in 80 days.

news.scotsman.com
AN EXTRAORDINARY "hyperspace" engine that could make interstellar space travel a reality by flying into other dimensions is being investigated by the United States government.

The hypothetical device, which has been outlined in principle but is based on a controversial theory about the fabric of the universe, could potentially allow a spacecraft to travel to Mars in three hours and journey to a star 11 light years away in just 80 days, according to a report in today's New Scientist magazine.

The theoretical engine works by creating an intense magnetic field that, according to ideas first developed by the late scientist Burkhard Heim in the 1950s, would produce a gravitational field and result in thrust for a spacecraft.

Also, if a large enough magnetic field was created, the craft would slip into a different dimension, where the speed of light is faster, allowing incredible speeds to be reached. Switching off the magnetic field would result in the engine reappearing in our current dimension.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If this is true welcome to the dawn of a new human era.

However how will we know for the next decade or 2? If it works it may be hidden from the world and minimised. Only if the original scientist continues to push his theories in an open forum will we be able to follow its development.

Anyone see a similarity between this and the stories of UFO propulsion systems?

[edit on 5-1-2006 by Netchicken]

apc

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
*cough*

I guess I should have copywritten my ideas.

Damn be the gooverment.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
honey, let's take the kids to mars.

no, too desolate, how about zeta in the fall, I hear it's lovely and not too crowded in the fall

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Here is a discussion ongoing with quite a bit of information.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And here is the paper.

www.uibk.ac.at...

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Funny how this scientist came up with this idea in the 50's. When Rosewell was what, in 1947? And yes, it seams very close to the ufo propulsion systems. Coincidence? I doubt it.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Griff how would you know how a UFO(eg an unidentified flying object) propels itself?

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I don't. Simple as that. But from what I've read about UFO's and such, that is what is speculated. Sorry if I came off like a knowitall.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   
No problem Sardion, ATS allows for a topic on the board and ATSNN.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Ya I know
Just thought that additional information would be appreciated to the ATSNN masses

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Great scoop...
I have been reading red mars, and it gives a very realistic scenario of colonization of other planets...

I can't wait to go... new worlds to conquer...
only hope we learn how to save this one first...

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Why only now? Surely this has been the theory behind FTL drives in most Sci-fi for years!

Not sure how their maths works out either...

3 hours to Mars but 80 days to Alpha Centauri?

Mars is 16 light minutes from the sun, making the speed for the ship doing it in 3 hours as 5.3 light-minutes/hour (or about 0.1125 x C), but the sped for the extra-solar journey is 0.05 light-years/day (or 18.25 x C). There is a difference of nearly 200 times.

EDIT: My maths is wrong too.....I have changed it above..

Obviously, the speed of the ship will be variable, but if you can do 18 x the speed of light, you should be able to get to Mars in 53 seconds......

[edit on 5/1/06 by stumason]

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   
not even trying to pretend im an expert in these things but what about the time it takes to accelerate from a standing start.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Good point.... You'll have to de-cellerate too when you get there, so I suppose you don't want to be doing 18 x C when your going to Mars...Not unless you have pretty good breaks and a means to stop you getting pasted into your windshield by the G's...

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Gravitational manipulation is the only possiblity seeing as theyve been seen to pull impossible 90* manoevures where any conventional propulsion would have killed the occupants.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Good point.... You'll have to de-cellerate too when you get there, so I suppose you don't want to be doing 18 x C when your going to Mars...Not unless you have pretty good breaks and a means to stop you getting pasted into your windshield by the G's...

G-forces wouldn't be a problem in space as there is no gravity. If this pans out it will be the biggest advancement in technology since the wheel.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
They can possibly make it to Mars in 3 hours but it still takes 22 hours to fly from Melbourne to New York ?
lol

I wanna hear news of faster air travel not space travel! I don't have any plans on going to Mars for a vacation, c'mon guys how about something practical for us to actually use ? lol

[edit on 5-1-2006 by ImJaded]

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   
SINCE THE WHEEL!?!?!

Rofl, this is on a different scale than the wheel. I understand what you mean... But this has the possibly of advancing the human race beyond lifetimes that we prior to this event (if it pans out) may never have seen. This has the possibility of being THE thing that extends the human race far into the future, we could now actually search out other planets and places to go in the event of a world disaster.

HUGE news! The worlds long turn future relies on discovery like this. (At least this is my opinion.)

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
"Make it so" to quote Capt. Picard.
Wonder if the Vulcans will show up after we test it for the first time?!

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by HumptyDumpty
SINCE THE WHEEL!?!?!

Rofl, this is on a different scale than the wheel. I understand what you mean... But this has the possibly of advancing the human race beyond lifetimes that we prior to this event (if it pans out) may never have seen. This has the possibility of being THE thing that extends the human race far into the future, we could now actually search out other planets and places to go in the event of a world disaster.

HUGE news! The worlds long turn future relies on discovery like this. (At least this is my opinion.)

I know it was the only tech. comparison that i could think of. Maybe i should of said since we got aposable thumbs.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by picklewalsh
G-forces wouldn't be a problem in space as there is no gravity. If this pans out it will be the biggest advancement in technology since the wheel.

Yes they would.

If you accelerate, regardless of wether there is any gravitaional field or not, you will still expierience G-forces as a result of the acceleration.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join