It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thirteen Miners Trapped In WV Coal Mine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Toxic gas discourages mine officials
Hope remains that 13 miners could be alive, official says

Tuesday, January 3, 2006; Posted: 10:25 a.m. EST (15:25 GMT)

TALLMANSVILLE, West Virginia (CNN) -- High levels of toxic carbon monoxide in a coal mine where 13 miners are trapped Tuesday have officials discouraged in their quest to rescue the men.

But hope remains.

"They could be in another location or they could be barricaded somewhere," said Ben Hatfield, president of International Coal Group, which owns the Sago Mine in Tallmansville, West Virginia.

"This carbon monoxide level far exceeds regulatory limits for respirable air." Hatfield said. "Therefore we are very discouraged by the results of this test."

www.cnn.com

This occurred at approximately 6:45 A.M. Eastern Time at the ICG's Sago Mine in Upshur County, WV on January 2, 2006. Upshur County is located not 125 miles from my house. I am five miles southeast of the state capital in Marmet. I am in the heart of the Coal Country of the Appalachians. We are in a time of hope and uncertainty as to the well being of these miners. We, as in the people of West Virginia, need your prayers so that these men can be found alive. I implore you to remember us in our time of need.

[edit on 1/3/2006 by gimmefootball400]

join