It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird sensation while half asleep/awake

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
OK, this happened a few months ago and I was too lazy to post this earlier. Once I was on my bed in a state where I was asleep, yet I was kinda awake, hard to explain. It's like where you're asleep and sorta dreaming even though you're aware of you're surroundings, I had that happen to me many times. Anywho, that happened once where I was way too tired to summon enough energy to awake so I was in that 'mostly' asleep state where I felt like I was paralyzed. Suddenly, I had the strong, realistic feeling that I was floating above my bed......... Since I couln't open my eyes, I didn't even see/dream anything so no visions were invloved. I seriously thought that if I would open my eyes, I'd fall back onto my bed from just under my bedroom ceiling. It felt as if my spirit was being pulled out of my body, that's the best way I could explain it. Of course, when I opened my eyes, I didn't drop from the air as I thought, instead I was lying on my bed, nothing strange about it. It was an odd feeling, never had it happen to me before. Has anything like this happen to any of you? Obviously this was probably just another trick pulled off by the mind but It's still interesting. Why not have a thread to talk about it?

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 12:15 AM
link   
i think what your describing is like the feelings i felt,like a few times i'll be laying on my bed watching tv or be on the labtop and i'll start to like fall asleep/day dream and idk but it'll feel like i dropped or fell off my bed.

its weird and it also gives like a tingling senation through my body.

it happens on the couch too,i'll be laying on my stomache with one of my arms hanging down touching the ground kind of and all the sudden when watching cartoons BOOM!!! it feels like a fell off the couch, i mean my body jumped and stuff for like a split second..

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Sounds like the beginning of astral projection. Eyes can be opened or closed. I am by no means an expert and can only tell you that the tingling sensation and spontaneous muscle spasms will sometimes also arise.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eden
Sounds like the beginning of astral projection. Eyes can be opened or closed. I am by no means an expert and can only tell you that the tingling sensation and spontaneous muscle spasms will sometimes also arise.

your scaring me now...

astral projection..what?
hook up a little more info on that please

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I have felt this before too. Serious. I mean like all of the sudden I can't feel my matress and then when I open my eyes, I am on my bed. Its really weird. Usually when it happens I don't have the stomach drop feeling but I get really scared. I get all hot. Then when I am about to open my eyes I feel like I am being set down. Slowly though.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Hey chinabean try going here to find out about astral projection.

click here

Hope this helps!

[edit on 2-1-2006 by DustintheWind]

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Sometimes when I am almost asleep, or have just fallen asleep I will be running or walking. I guess it is a dream since I see it in my head. All of a sudden I fall on my face, or off a cliff, or trip on a tree trunk. My body knows I am falling and it will jump almost a foot straight up, like I had actually fallen. It is pretty scary.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracy Theorist06
I have felt this before too. Serious. I mean like all of the sudden I can't feel my matress and then when I open my eyes, I am on my bed.

Same here. The thing is, I couldn't open my eyes at first, I struggled just to do that. The feeling was actually kind of good, although very weird. This only happend to me once. It felt as if I were actually hovering while continuously rising until I was just below the ceiling, I don't know how I can say that I was just below my ceiling, I just sensed it. As for the speed, it was steady and rather slow, though not that slow.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I remember once, I had just woken up one morning, smoked a cigarette then I was half asleep/awake and I could see myself floating through complete darkness with strange, small, white lights in the background. It was very weird. I remember feeling at peace with everything and felt very warm, not uncomfortably warm. It also felt I had been there before.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DustintheWind
Hey chinabean try going here to find out about astral projection.

click here

Hope this helps!

[edit on 2-1-2006 by DustintheWind]

hm thanks but 19.99 to start astral projecting? what dem hells?

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Yessir it sounds like you all had the beggining of a projection.
Same thing happened to me. I looked up info on the net, and have lived a different life since.

cheers!!

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Sleep paralysis is a condition that occurs in the state just before dropping off to sleep (the hypnagogic state) or just before fully awakening from sleep (the hypnopompic state). The condition is characterized by being unable to move or speak. It is often associated with a feeling that there is some sort of presence, a feeling which often arouses fear but is also accompanied by an inability to cry out. The paralysis may last only a few seconds. The description of the symptoms of sleep paralysis is similar to the description many alien abductees give in recounting their abduction experiences. Sleep paralysis is thought by some to account for not only many alien abduction delusions, but also other delusions involving paranormal or supernatural experiences (e.g., incubus and succubus).

Sleep paralysis is something many people experience once or twice in a lifetime but it is a frequent occurrence of those suffering from narcolepsy

-new article-
Sleep paralysis is now being studied as an explanation for terrors in the night, which have been experienced by people across all cultures and for thousands of years. If one is looking for a purely physical and scientific explanation for these terrible nightmares, this one works quite well. For some it will offer relief but for others, doubt.

Sleep paralysis is a condition in which someone, most often lying in a supine (face up) position, about to drop off to sleep, or just upon awaking from sleep realizes that s/he is unable to move, or speak, or cry out. This may last a few seconds or several moments, occasionally longer. People frequently report feeling a 'presence' that is often described as malevolent, threatening, or evil. An intense sense of dread and terror is very common. The presence is likely to be vaguely felt or sensed just out of sight but thought to be watching or monitoring, often with intense interest, sometimes standing by, or sitting on the bed. On some occasions, the presence may attack, strangling and exerting crushing pressure on the chest.

There are a number of historical and urban cultural myths, which can be, somewhat, explained by this experience. The Incubus, which appears in ancient literature, is one such example. In the book Incubus by Kiessling, It was described as half man half beast, attacking in the night. The word night "mare" has been derived from the word incubus. In Greek it was ephialtes, in Latin incubus, in German mar/mare, in Old English maire, Old Norse mara, Old Irish mar/mor, and all mean "one who leaps on, oppresses or crushes."

The demon of the night has also been called 'The Old Hag' a description and myth coming out of several cultures. The Old Hag was described in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.

The Old Hag attack is most closely associated with extreme pressure on the chest while sleeping on your back. People may also feel like they are being choked or even bitten. In his research, Al Cheyne of the University of Waterloo has discovered that between 25 and 30 per cent of the population reports that they have experienced at least a mild form of sleep paralysis at least once. It most often has an adolescent onset but can begin at any age.

Cheyne believes sleep paralysis to be an hallucination created by physical things occurring in the body as a result of a dysfunction or malfunction of the normal R.E.M. state of sleep. This malfunction may be brought on by life stressors or sleep deprivation. Cheyne has also discovered a much higher incidence of sleep paralysis for those who sleep on their back. He has found that changing sleep position can reduce the incidence of these nightmares. He also suggests getting up and physically moving around after having an episode as several can occur in one night.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not all episodes are characterized by a threatening "presence" or "force" many have described feeling like they are having an "out-of-body" experience.
The simplest explanation is usually the right one.

-Deny Ignorance

eve

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I have the same expieriences too. except for I dont have the same feeling of floating. I feel awake or let me rephase that I AM awake but feel paralyzed, not being able to open my eyes or move. It feels as though my whole body is asleep...I do know where that comes from. I have anxiety attacks and that what the results are of it ......u might want to check in to that...LOL Im kidding hahahaha

[edit on 1-2-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Sometimes, when I'm 'almost' alseep, I'll have this feeling that the room is tilting and all the furniture is sliding to one side, like I'm on a ship in a bad storm and there's the possibility that I'm going to be crushed by the dresser or the bed will fall on me if the room is tilted enough.

It makes me spaz a little like when you're sitting on the passenger side of the car and hit that imaginary brake when you think the driver is getting ready to hit something. After the spaz, I look around, notice everything is in it's place, and close my eyes.

Then, just as quickly as I was jerked out of my peaceful 'almost' asleep state, I'm back in it and go on to sleep pretty soon.

I don't know what this phenomenon is, but I've heard of plenty of people that do that "jerk" or "spaz" right before they fall asleep, but no one has ever described it as feeling that the room was tilting and all the furniture was sliding to one side.

Anyone else ever get that feeling or sensation?

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Yes, Paul, I have. I've experienced both the dropping and tilting room sensations. I have no idea why. Anyone with more knowledge on the subject want to lend us their opinion?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Acekwak

i've had this same thing happen to me a couple times. it felt as if i was stuck in a dream and idk i felt weird and wanted to wake up but couldn't. i felt paralyzed, couldn't move, couldn't wake up.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I have had these happen from time to time for a long time, the last being about three years ago until a few days ago. I decided to look up info and get to the bottom of this. Whenever they do happen, it happens in a series. like I would feel paralized, cant move or even call for help. Then i would wake up, for about a minute, and then fall back asleep and then back to the state of mind.

I don't have to tell anyone how unsettling it can be.

What was different about this last time was really creepy. I had that feeling of being paralized, and then about a half hour later (I assuummee this was just a dream, not sleepwalking) but I felt like i got up, to the end of my bed and sat down in front of my computer. I looked into the monitor which was off and I didnt see my reflection, but that of what looked to be something eles. and then slipped back into bed.

From what the post earlier was talking about, it was an Incubus... IT does make a LOT of sense now that I finally read up on it.

Just creepy..I dont really think about it much after events like this happen but i jsut decided to get more info on Sleep Paralysis.

I think i can "sleep" more comfortable now

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
One time when I closed my eyes in my astral body, all I could see was red (like when you're outside on a sunny day with your eyes closed), and my physical body was glowing white. It was weird, but amazing. Has this happened to anyone else?

Also, does anyone have tips on how to astral project more frequently?

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I have had half asleep/ awake problems for a little over a year now. It doesn't happen often but when it does it really scares the crap out of me.

So this morning about 5am. I woke up really couldn't go back to sleep. So i watched a little tv. And then started to get tired again. I was facing my TV and then all of a sudden I felt the sensation of slipping into like a coma state. But I guess I wasn't that tired. I opened my eyes, I was paralyzed. I couldn't move. I looked at my TV. And like always a (what I can only call a human) Comes and gets in my face, and really puts the fear of the devil in me. It's a dark, cold, panic feeling. I know what I see. And it last for 15 secs. And I can't speak. So the whole time I scream in my head. Then I feel like after it goes away. Something good comes around me, and washes the evil away. I know for a fact I was awake. And this is not a dream. I am awake, and I can't move my body. It's like I am stuck under a rock, or something is sitting on me.

I wonder sometimes if people think I might be crazy? I know I am not crazy, and I know that what ever it is that happens. Doesn't happen to everyone. And the people that it does happen to are experiencing something other then what people say we are.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join