It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chemicals VS Herbs

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by moejohnson101
drug companies are pure evil. their drugs which "help" you just cause more problems which means you need to take more drugs which cause more problems ect. their are plenty of natural remedies that dont have freakish side effects. i dont nessecarily think doctors are bad but why bother taking a bunch of perscriptions when you could just take some herbs that come from the earth and are natural? good job in not falling for their lies

Now, now, don't hold back - say what you really mean

Cheers

TD

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 07:17 AM
link   
msnevil, you bring up a good point about the insurance thing. I wish someone could figure out a better way. People these days are just too "sue happy".

The Vagabond and Taupe Dragon, I gave both of you a "Way above" vote. You're easy to read and seem to be very well informed. Thank you both for posting here.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
It's just bad that the good folks in the medical field get a tarnished image because of some non-caring money hungry folks who have poisoned the field.

Yes, even for me there is a time for drugs. I'm not going to have my teeth drilled on or have doctors cut on me without being numbed. I just don't like pain that much.

But I draw the line where I could just take better care of myself, or a natural alternative is better. I almost never go to the doctor anymore, but when I truly need them I will go.

But I realize we need doctors for certain things. I know I can't label the entirety of the medical field as "bad." I've kind of made that sort of mistake before. Some of these folks work many times without sleep to save lives. If I chop off my hand in some accident, I'm not going to my dad and ask him to sew it back on. I'm getting my rear to the doctor and see if they can put it back on.

It may true that many medicines have their roots from nature, but I question whether it is allways necessary to strip the herb in it's whole form and isolate a compound. The herb in it's whole form may have had other accompanying ingredients that were necessary for it to work safely and better. And quite frankly it's just much cheaper than the pharmacy's pills.

Witness the food industry and things like MSG. MSG has its roots from seaweed. MSG apparently has issues. My guess is because because the rest of plant is missing in order to make it safe. MSG gets the glory as being a traditional Asian ingredient, but if you will search you will find out that the real traditional ingredient, used far longer, was some sort of seaweed.

The way I see it, the folks who have poisoned medical field, need to let the better and safer natural alternatives in. If all you want in the medical field is a big paycheck, with no regard for the people you hurt, and you don't really care about anything beyond money, then I feel you need to look within yourself and find a better reason to be in the medical field. You are dealing with people first and foremost.

If I go to the doctor, I go to solve a problem, not have more problems than when I went in.

Troy

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Cybertroy, nicely said.

I have stitched up small cuts myself, but I agree totally, sometimes you just need a doctor.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Much thanks Beer Guy! I appreciate the nice comments.

Troy

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 04:15 AM
link   
i wonder how many read up and reserch the drugs prescribed by their doctors. thousands die every year from reactions to prescribed medication. how many times have you heard of someone dying from herbs??

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I always call Dr. Mom when a doctor tries to give me a new med. So far I've quit seeing 2 doctors because they prescribed dangerous medicine for me.

Herbs aren't 100% safe, but way safer in most cases.

You're exactly right, research, research, research.... don't just jump in blindly.

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beer_Guy

Herbs aren't 100% safe, but way safer in most cases.

A word on that.
There's a saying "Doctors treat, Nature cures" (I forget where from, apologies). This is true in many cases where we don't know why something works - it just does. This is not to say it will be better for you just because generations before have used it; medically speaking, an active ingredient works equally well regardless of whether it's synthetic or "organic" - except in those cases of unknown synergists. The problem often arises when what you take as a prescription begins to interact with the homeopathic brews. "Willow bark tea" for instance, if combined with prescription blood thinners (Coumadin, for one) may make you hemmorhage to death. Throw in shelf picks like ginseng, bitter bark or hawthorn and it will become even more likely.
Ginger, aloe and/or stevia (in appreciable amounts) can give a diabetic a severe case of hypoglycemia (especially if timed too close to an insulin shot).
The list of scenarios is endless but the point is: if you don't know the mechanism of a drug's action, don't just concoct an ad hoc mix with herbs that you assume to be 'safe'.

Originally posted by Beer_Guy

You're exactly right, research, research, research.... don't just jump in blindly.

See, now that's something I definitely agree with. Get your learn on first.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
First off, "Sighhhhhhh"

This is a battle that will continue.
The Big Pill Producing Corps want to make herbal remedies illegal, it takes away from their profits....and each year, MORE PEOPLE TURN TO ALTERNATE THERAPIES................
It's true.

Personally, I grew up with a family that ALWAYS used alternate therapies, i.e. herbs and family recipes..passed down over the yrs.
BUT~ If Medical treatment was absolutely needed, we got it.

I can say that we were pretty healthy.

If school we did get Chicken Pox, but that was expected in the day.

There are GOODS & BADS from 'MODERN' Medicine.
Did you know that many script drugs are lab altered forms of natural plants?
It's true, many prescription drugs are hopped up forms of things that grow in NATURE, NATURALLY.........

I ALWAYS recommend SECOND OPINIONS when visiting a Medical Dr. or a Holistic Dr.

HOLISTIC MEDICINE TREATS THE BODY MIND AND SOUL, IT TREATS THE INDIVIDUAL PATIENT....vs MAINSTREAM MEDICINE TREATS THE SYMPTOMS, IN MASS

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join