It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: US Government Running Out Of Cash

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
This issue is the one of two primary reasons I am no longer a republican. One of the key issues in the republican party was smaller government and smart budget management.

Clinton did a good job paying off our debt. It still was not enough to make me a democrat though. I lived in Texas under the Bush rein as governor. It was clear there he was no Reagan though. He was a spend until you can't, then spend some more republican.

Now with the rise of christian fundamentalism and ignorant budget management I am now solidly a centrist democrat.

It is a shame the current admin has no issues at all with this waste and deficit. The tax cuts at a time when we are going to have to extend our debt to foreign nations beyond 8 trillion dollars will go down in history as the most ridiculous policy in US history.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Here! Here!! Nativeokie!! Here! Here!! I’m with you all the way! I especially agree with you that Clinton did a good job paying off our debt.

I don’t care how much some folks want to blame Clinton for everything that has gone wrong on George Dubya’s watch, I’d trade George in for 2 more terms with Bill in a New York second. Bill has a few good qualities over George that make him look awfully good right now: a) He actually understands Economics and Finance and could turn this situation around if anyone can, IMO, b) Clinton has a far greater empathy for the “common man” than Bush does; I believe Clinton actually gives a hoot, c) Clinton wouldn’t be foolish enough to start unnecessary, unconscionable wars that we can’t possibly win and certainly can’t afford, especially with no plan on how to weasel out of it if things go wrong, which leads right into d) Clinton probably has a good 60 I.Q. points over George, which would come in handy right now.

People can stone me all they want, but IMO it has been George and his Goon Squad that got us into this mess and, unfortunately, they don’t have either the smarts or inclination to get us out. They’re so busy spending our money to further their own personal agendas that it’s unlikely they even recognize there is a problem yet.

IMHO we are in for some very, very hard times, due to our own irresponsibility and lack of foresight. I do hope very badly that the next President we elect has an actual vision that benefits the country; a positive vision that leads us to a better place; rather than holding the reigns via the use of mass scare tactics and an overabundance of arrogance, greed and delusions of grandeur. If I held a mortgage with a variable interest rate loan, I think I’d be getting nervous about now …

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dances With Angels
Well... Here's another one that my generation is going to have to pay off. First we have the Baby Boomer's Social Security and the fact that over half of them are obese, they're going to be needing it. Then we have the burden of rising prices on homes, fuel, and other daily crap that we must pay off in order to have those things. Now we have to face this huge debt that this damn government is building up. SO you adults now don't want to pay taxes because you can't? Well guess freaking what? When you retire, there will hardly be a middle class left to pay for them! Way to go! Thanks!

Very well stated, Dances With Angels! You're on the money and beyond your years. I hope some of the old geezers (over 30) around here read what you had to say and really give it some thought. I know I have, and I appreciate what you had to say ...

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Partisianship seems to play a modicum of a role when perspecting a potential party to pay patronage towards especially when either party has poorly handled the economic state of America for decades. Americas political machination may bolster great economic success in many corporate sectors, however, in totality and as is evident in the numerous statistical evidence provided afore in this thread, we see a steady trend of onerous choices which have placed America in a destructive path.

For a country which such a constant flux of economic genius minds, exactly which ones are influencing Ameria a political.

Luxifero

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Ah what the hell I wont live to retire so what do I care

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 04:31 AM
link   
i am sure bush's new pal john howard will show him howto increase taxes.johnny knows how to screw the poor.Our country has plenty of cash, hell we can afford to give usa $10 mill to help the poor blacks that bush would rather see die.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   
"I do hope very badly that the next President we elect has an actual vision that benefits the country; a positive vision that leads us to a better place; rather than holding the reigns via the use of mass scare tactics and an overabundance of arrogance, greed and delusions of grandeur. "

someone like this man???

en.wikipedia.org...

by what I've read, the election paraphelia has been ordered...weather by him, or some group wanting to urge him on, I don't know...

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I fail to see how this is a republican/democrat issue.

This problem has been building since the end of the 70's mainly due to the need to import and pay for energy.

Please stop Feeding the White Elephant.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 05:00 AM
link   
This reminds me of one of my favourite Tom Clancy quotes:

It only takes one idiot to undo what ten geniuses have accomplished

Completely true and applies to politics perfectly. God knows the political World is chock full of idiots and not many geniuses.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Well, we have already opened the Pandora's Box here. But one of the reasons that the dollar has not slumped is because of the ability to coerce more investor overseas to buy more useless cash, etc. ad infinitum. without any other alternative. So what happens when the money runs out? I think this Government is foolish enough to risk Hyperinflation, Go figure

BTW: Happy New Year everybody!

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I think this Government is foolish enough to risk Hyperinflation, Go figure

Spot on.

I agree, this administration has sung the concert of hyperinflation since it's election to power. Regardless, I believe a round table of economic talks is in need..

Luxifero

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Can anyone imagine what would happen if a major segment of American taxpayers put their foot down and refused to pony up this year come tax time, until they see real progress towards a responsible, accountable, reasonably transparent government?

If the citizens stopped feeding the beast, the beast would shrink to a more manageable size. It would probably get starved and vicious though, so the whole idea might be unwise from a practical standpoint. When the body goes without food, it starts to consume itself out of necessity. Presumably the body politic works in precisely the same way when it runs out of working capital.

When a country prosecutes a hugely unpopular war for the purposes of dolling out military and related contracts to corporate insiders and their network of cronies, of course the country is going to run out of money! We're not paying 600 dollars for nuts and bolts because we need 600 dollar nuts and bolts; we're paying exhorbitant prices for everything from machine parts to invisible consultants because of privately owned politicians.

Jack is a government official. Jack's brother in law owns voting shares in a company that contracts out mercenaries. Jill also runs a mercenary company, and charges much less because she has to compete fairly without the benefit of influence. Jack relies on a non-competetive bidding process to allow for abuse of his considerable influence. Jack has no need to be niggardly(after all, it's not Jack's money, it's YOUR MONEY), and Jack's brother in law will gladly compensate Jack on the side. Jack just used his influence, and YOUR MONEY, to help himself and his pals make money.

Welcome to America, where Jack is king, and Jill gets screwed. Why are we out of money? Because it leaves our pockets and gets handed to the folks who need it the least, out of some retarded pokemon fascination with collecting greenbacks.

The game of American politics is one for insiders and fools. I get the very real sense that sensible folks are increasingly gathered at the outskirts with picnic baskets and refreshments. We'll watch it all fall down, collapsed under the weight of its inefficiency. Then, we'll finish our meals, put our silverware away, and trudge back into the fallout zone to salvage a working model for governance.

[edit on 4-1-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
But if they stop paying their taxes, they could risk a clampdown. seziure of property, etc. That will not happen in a large sclae because, many ppl believe the lies told over and over again:

Taxes, help support the economy, buiold roads, etc, infrastructure, whatever.

Taxes : to pay them is your civic duty, andd we go on and on. and asfar u and I know that is falsehood

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
but taxation without representation is unconstitutional, and it seems to become clearer and clearer everyday that we, your average american citizens aren't being represented in federal government. you now need a ton of money to hire a lobbyist who then bribes the congress to do what you want.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   
interesting story......

business.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I believe that the cash flow problems are managed by population census. The United States is running on credit like its society. Did you notice how your birth certificate looks like the title to your car? Because we are chattel to borrow and loan against. LEGALCATALYST.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   
To directly aim this post, at the starting post of this thread...

Check out what SOJ says...
Flogging the Simian

What happens now, then?

This goes hand in hand with what FredT started in this thread once -> Government Spending If you check out the national debt clock here: Debt clock You will see that The United States of America is...

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
this is bit of a scattered thought but America today is like a cocky rich kid who inherited thier wealth and never had to actually work a day in thier life. This country made its initial wealth years ago in the slavery days, then after that (and before), we were the most inivative country around, we exported our products everywhere. American made products used to be the best of the best, unfortunately thats not the case anymore, we're not the inivative country that others looked up to anymore, all that ended in the 60's. corporations took over and basically robbed people blind, we all know the deal. im wondering what will happen when its official that our government is bankrupt, will they then invade with a hostile take over of the private sector? being thats where the majority of the money sits, in the bank accounts of corporations who were trusted to be a key part of the whole reaganomics trickle down crap. i dont think its too far fetched considering our government are a bunch of thugs anyway and its all about the bling bling with them anyway lol. maybe its time to dust off that key to the patent office and revive our once inovative society with some of these blackballed (and swept under the rug by corporations) inventions and get back to what we used to be all about. But first we need to wake up the rest of America and weed out our robot politicians and completely overhaul the governemt.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Rant!!! Rant!!!! Rant!!!!! It is Bush's fault!!!!!! It is Cheney's fault!!!!!!!!It is Mrs. Rice's fault!!!!!!!It is the mayor of bloomberg counties fault!!!!!! It is the dog catchers fault!!!!!It is the guy down the street mowing his grass' fault!!!!!!!

Y'know, if people would just shut the stink up, and instead of saying "give me my rights!!!!! Would start saying give me some of the responsibility", then maybe we'd be a little better off. It is easy to see the single pointed finger aimed at another, but hard for us to focus on the three pointed right back at us.

You want some change, get a good degree and start a business that takes out IBM and Microstink and all others, then get into politics and change it from within. All I see on these forums is complaint after complaint and no action to say "hey, I started this petition to end world hunger and the link that was approved by the ATS guys is here". Talk is always going to be cheap folks. Get out and vote, make a stand for your community by taking meals to the homeless, start a quater-drive for debt relief, whatever, but quit complaining for goodness sake. Get off you couch potato, instant microwave meal eating butt and do something!!!!

END TRANSMISSION

[edit on 30/1/06 by OneGodJesus]

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
radioactive_liquid who wrote a nice post said:

im wondering what will happen when its official that our government is bankrupt,

Me too, when does the piper finally get paid?
Imminent collapse! I read about it a lot, when is immenent?
Seems the economic house is built of cards, but someone is using glue on them, but when the glue runs out,(foreign investment, printing more money etc.) that's it for sure this time.
All in all, it will be interesting, how will it turn out when everything falls down, we will all be affected, will rich folks be jumping out of windows,will the poor finally feel equal?
Will we pollute less, live in mud and cardboard huts, tear out walls to feed the wood stove, get real 'horsepower' for your car, attempt to grow our own vegetables and raise chickens so's we can eat, will we become more like China was and China like we were, do we get to start from square one and learn some important lessons and rebuild until we forget everything we've learned?
Who know's, the future is fascinating, but I'd rather be a kid again, but that was an earlier time when I was naive and ignorant and just learning about how screwed up things are, but I did worry a lot about nuclear missiles.

Always something to worry about, who's ready to start fresh?

[edit on 30-1-2006 by Toadmund]

<< 1    3 >>

join