It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran to buy Pechora-2A

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 05:07 AM
link   
30 Tor-M1's have been bought with 30 mig-29's to be upgraded to SMT versian!. These sams are infact modern and I like to give a shotout to everybody here and have a happey holidays... long time no post

Iran and Russia have prepared and approved an agreement project on the purchase of the Russian surface-to-air missile complex Pechora-2A in the second half of 2006.

Pechora-2A can hit the air targets at distances from 3.5 to 38 kilometers and at heights from 0.02 to 20 kilometers, flying at a speed of up to 700 meters per second. The complex was successfully tested at a Middle East firing range, hitting an F-16 fighter and an analogue of a Tomahawk cruise missile.

The complex has a new optic-electronic system that allows it to seek out air targets during daylight and at night. It uses modern missiles and modern protection devices.

The Pechora may provide air security for the Russian-built power plant at Bushehr, the Grani.Ru website reported citing a source in Russia’s Federal Military Technical Cooperation Service.

“Helping Tehran build a power plant, Russia simply must provide security for this object, the destruction of which may cause an ecological disaster for the whole of the Middle East. That is why cooperation with Iran in the area of anti-aircraft systems will be continued,” the source said.

Earlier, Russian media said that Moscow had agreed in November to sell $1 billion worth of weapons to Iran, including up to 30 Tor-M1 missile systems over the next two years. Russia’s Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov said a contract for the delivery of Tor air defense missiles to Iran had been signed.

www.mosnews.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 05:28 AM
link   

The complex was successfully tested at a Middle East firing range, hitting an F-16 fighter and an analogue of a Tomahawk cruise missile

I'm curious, where did they get an F-16 from

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 07:07 AM
link   
NR! your back!

I was waiting for you to mention this on here.

I hope this will give the US some second thought about invading Iran, unless they intend to use the F-22...otherwise they might have a problem.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist
I'm curious, where did they get an F-16 from

Wondering that too, perhaps off Pakistan?

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
they were suppose to purchase f-16 but then there was the revolution and the americans sold the planes to the israeli's

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Still, the question is where did this F-16 come from?!

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
First of all....

I tried that link provided for the story about this, and it didn't work. Anyone else have this problem, or is it just me?

Second, take a look at this site.

Iran Defence

About 1/3 of the way down, the poster "aslvtp" says that Iran got 2 F-16's BEFORE the revolution, and that they tried to reverse engineer one of them, and are currently taking care of the other one at an airbase. I dunno if this is true, it wouldn't make sense for Iran to shoot down a perfectly good F-16, especially if it's the only one it has. Maybe you want to take a look?

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackThorn311

I tried that link provided for the story about this, and it didn't work. Anyone else have this problem, or is it just me?

Here is the link...
Iran May Buy Russian Surface-to-Air Missile Complex, MosNews

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   

The complex was successfully tested at a Middle East firing range, hitting an F-16 fighter and an analogue of a Tomahawk cruise missile.

It was tested in middleeast. it was probably an israeili f16. they have pretty good relations with russia.

Originally posted by BlackThorn311
About 1/3 of the way down, the poster "aslvtp" says that Iran got 2 F-16's BEFORE the revolution, and that they tried to reverse engineer one of them, and are currently taking care of the other one at an airbase.

I doubt iran ever received any f16's before revolution, coz it would have been revealed by either sides by NOW.

afterall, iran has some 30 years of experience with f14, and yet has not been able to build a production line for the reverse-engineered f14's.
and the guy in Iran Defence thread says they HAVE reverse-engineered f16's. NOWAY.

RESPECT

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by proprog

The complex was successfully tested at a Middle East firing range, hitting an F-16 fighter and an analogue of a Tomahawk cruise missile.

It was tested in middleeast. it was probably an israeili f16. they have pretty good relations with russia.

I doubt the Israeli's would donate an F-16 to one of their Arab enemies to test a SAM system. It's kinda giving your enemy a helping hand in developing counter-measures against you.

Even if they did, the plane would have to have some type of remote control, I doubt they could even come close to mimicking the maneuvers a real pilot could do.

As far as good relations between Russia and Israel go ..... Russia is selling Israelis enemies there latest equipment. Look at Russia building Iran's reactors, hardly what a friend would do.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist
I doubt the Israeli's would donate an F-16 to one of their Arab enemies to test a SAM system. It's kinda giving your enemy a helping hand in developing counter-measures against you.

1. it was tested well before it was offered to iranians, or other arab nations. so I really don't think israeilis knew at the time it would be offered to iranians.

2. tbh, I don't think any countries beside US would donate an f16 for a test target. it may well be a us-russia joint project or something. it may well have been an f16 mockup simulating an f-16 which is very improbable.

RESPECT

top topics

join