It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Bush's Approval Ratings Soar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   
The latest Washington Post-ABC News Poll reveals that support for President George W. Bush has soared in the past few weeks and that Americans are optimistic about the economy and the progress of democracy in Iraq. Bush's approval rating rose from 39 percent a month ago to 47 percent in this latest poll. This rise in support reflects the attitudes of Bush's core supporters. There still exists strong opposition to Bush's policies in certain quarters.

www.washingtonpost.com
President Bush's approval rating has surged in recent weeks, reversing what had been an extended period of decline, with Americans now expressing renewed optimism about the future of democracy in Iraq, the campaign against terrorism and the U.S. economy, according to the latest Washington Post-ABC News Poll.

Bush's overall approval rating rose to 47 percent, from 39 percent in early November, with 52 percent saying they disapprove of how he is handling his job. His approval rating on Iraq jumped 10 percentage points since early November, to 46 percent, while his rating on the economy rose 11 points, to 47 percent. A clear majority, 56 percent, said they approve of the way Bush is handling the fight against terrorism -- a traditional strong point in his reputation that nonetheless had flagged to 48 percent in the November poll.

The marked improvement in Bush's fortunes comes after months of erosion in the president's political standing that tracked a series of problems afflicting his administration. The most significant was the continuing violence and mounting U.S. casualties in Iraq, but high gasoline prices and the federal government's slow response to Hurricane Katrina also caused increasing numbers of Americans to register doubts about Bush's leadership.

The Post-ABC News poll suggests that the massive turnout in last week's elections in Iraq, coupled with a public relations offensive in which the president delivered five speeches and held one news conference in 19 days, have delivered a substantial year-end dividend to a president badly in need of good news.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Although this, like any poll is a "snapshot in time," it is still good news for those who would like to see a more united front against the war on terrorism and a more unified America. However, with the latest uproar over the President's intelligence policies, it will be interesting to see what happens by the time the next poll comes along. Personally, I think Bush is doing a great job on most of the issues that count the most. His is probably the hardest job in the world right now and there's no one in America today who I think could do better, or if there is, he hasn't run for President in the last twenty years.

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com
www.theday.com
www.therant.us
www.dallasnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
POLITICS: President Bush's Approval Rating Dips Below 40
another US attack ?
Is It Possible That President Bush Will Be President Again?
Recall Bush?? Is a Nationwide Recall Election Possible In the USA

[edit on 2005/12/20 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Thanks for a positive piece of reporting concerning the current President. Now I'll be quick to point out that there is probably some poll saying the exact opposite of yours but all the same its nice to see something that doesnt say "oh my god my overseas phone calls are tapped etc.". Thanks for the news flash.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Without a doubt, you are correct about the fickle nature of polls and there always being a negative one to balance a positive one. There is one thing that I wish Americans would come to understand.

The current world situation that the US and freedom-loving nations face is more sinister and dangerous than any world situation we may have ever faced. This is not the time petty bickering. It's do or die. We need to support the President. Our future is at stake. Yes, there is room for criticism, but not of the destructive kind.

To quote a prominent American whose name evades me at this time, "We must stand together or we will surely hang together."

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 01:19 AM
link   
We've been at war in my mind since 1979 when they took the hostages in Tehran and the world sat idly by until 2001 and the problem of islamofacism has only worsened. Now you have one of the Tehran terrorists in charge of Iran saying the Holocaust didn't happen. The danger to us as a nation is so great and yet between our own politicians stalling security reforms to the rest of the world trying to keep its fingers in the sweet pies nothing is getting done to keep us safe. I totally agree with your viewpoint, this conflict against terror is greater than any conflict in my lifetime including the cold war.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I think Bush's approval bottomed a few weeks ago, and with his recent wave of speeches and news conferences should be on a long-term upturn. I also think the recent left-wing attacks by the press will only strengthen his hand since I think most Americans will see this smokescreen for what it is.

[edit on 12/20/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Sad that 47% is soaring
No wonder the schools are doing so poorly, they require at least 67% to pass
Going by conventional grading, Bush has still earned an F, a higher F than before, but still an F
F+ maybe?
Pathetic...

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 06:14 AM
link   
According to your grading method, mrjones, a host of US presidents would have failing grades. Your point was?

seekerof

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Undoubtedly, this poll was taken before the espionage of Americans?

Heres a fact: I would like nothing better than to have a good president in office, accepted by all the people, myself included. Could it be he can redeem himself? I hope so.
Has that happened? He's working hard at it- but he will have to stop the underhanded things he does and take into account our Constitution.

I loved Ronald Raegan and voted for him. Its not Republicans i am against, its the lies.

I'd like to know who is on his "list". I betcha its not anything having to do with communicating with Al Qaeda at all, its the Cindy Sheehans, some protestors, you and me. thats who.

[edit on 20-12-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Undoubtedly, this poll was taken before the espionage of Americans?

Undoubtedly, no, dgtempe.
According to Judge Napolitano, you know this guy right, being you used him in another thread pertaining to what you mention above, the poll was taken yesterday.

In all seriousness though, the poll is meaningless, per se', but was taken yesterday.

seekerof

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I stand corrected.

Like i said, or meant to imply, i want things to work out for our sakes and for everyone's sakes.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   
It all depends on the Poll in question.

There was a Gallup Poll done over the weekend which showed it has stayed around the same mark as prior to it but why are people using a poll? We all should know by now that we find, what we want to find.

Nothing more or less...

They...make...them...up.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Adding the link about two different polls.

Two Polls, Two Results

This just shows me how fickle people are. Both of these polls reveal something, but what? Is it important? Are they meaningful if they can change so quickly?

I know my opinion doesn't change with a single speech from the president or a supposed election in Iraq. Who are these people whose opinion changes so drastically from day to day? Do they forget today what they were so upset about yesterday?

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I don't really understand tho, what does it matter how popular or unpopular bush is right now, or any second term president?

He can't get re-elected. Bush obviously isn't the sort to not do something merely because its unpopular. Outside of it affecting other people up for re-election in the presidents own party, is it really that relevant?

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Outside of it affecting other people up for re-election in the presidents own party, is it really that relevant?

I think his approval rating is only important for the case of the Iraq War and the whole left vs right debate. For people to 'support the president' translates to people supporting the war, translates into "Our side is winning!"

For people to 'disapprove of the president' translates to people disapproving of the war, translates into "Our side is winning!"

It's like one of of those big amusement park Viking Boat rides.

When it's on the left, all those people are ridin' high and whoopin' and hollerin' and havin a good time! And then when it swings back over to the right, those people shout out "Yee-Haw!" and they're team is winning!

It's a bunch of 'team spirit' crap, if you ask me. I know you didn't but there ya go.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Although this, like any poll is a "snapshot in time," it is still good news for those who would like to see a more united front against the war on terrorism and a more unified America. However, with the latest uproar over the President's intelligence policies, it will be interesting to see what happens by the time the next poll comes along. Personally, I think Bush is doing a great job on most of the issues that count the most. His is probably the hardest job in the world right now and there's no one in America today who I think could do better, or if there is, he hasn't run for President in the last twenty years.

"good news for those who would like to see a more united front against the war on terrorism and a more unified America."

It just sounds like, knowing the intent of the article's commentary, a parsing of this theme:"any movement, ideology, or attitude that favors dictatorial government, centralized control of private enterprise, repression of all opposition, and extreme nationalism"

Any chance at an unified America has everything to do with the ackowledgement that George W. Bush is the worst president that this country has ever seen. It's especially disheartening to realize that educated people, who are vets to boot, do not take away the obvious that this minor spike in ratings has everything to do with incessant campaigning by a sitting president on things already done. It's like rolling snake eyes and campaigning that it was a seven!!
We have this mens suit chain in the NY Metro area that has a slogan of "An educated consumer is our best customer". We need Americans to step up their consumerism of US Politicos. These economy numbers being touted? Where exactly is the real terms benefits analysis sit? Corporate profitability = increased wages/increased upscale jobs......since when? Unemployment percentages that fail to account for those who have stopped looking or exhausted their UI or who are under utilized in a WalMart job with a Masters degree?
US safer by an Iraqi campaign extended out a decade? How does that compute with anyone who sees that state funding for chem plant security/railway security/container port security/first responders are all severerly under funded from a Fderal perspective because of Iraqi war costs? And that's just the "attack" angle - did we already forget the Fed short changing that enabled the Katrina fiasco?

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
If my approval rating at work soared to 47%; I'd be soaring out the door with an appointment in the unemployment line.

[edit on 20-12-2005 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
IMH the polls are of no relvance because Bush cant be relected. If Bush was to poll porrly for the rest of his 2nd term it may effect who wins the Republican ticket for 2008. The Bush admin should ignore the polls because he is going to dig himself a deeper hole no matter what he dose.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrjones
Sad that 47% is soaring

Actually, I didn't say that 47% is soaring. I said that his approval had "soared to 47 percent" from 39%. The article used the term surged and I don't believe that the term soar alters the intent of the article's author.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
The latest Washington Post-ABC News Poll reveals that support for President George W. Bush has soared in the past few weeks and that Americans are optimistic about the economy and the progress of democracy in Iraq. Bush's approval rating rose from 39 percent a month ago to 47 percent in this latest poll.

Bush has the most or just about the most abysmal poll ratings on record. You call that soaring popularity? Come on, man. You're grasping.

Bush's numbers are abysmal.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
If my approval rating at work soared to 47%; I'd be soaring out the door with an appointment in the unemployment line.

[edit on 20-12-2005 by whaaa]
So true, so true...LOL
Thanks for the chuckle!

new topics

top topics

join