It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Politics: Unofficial Debates Thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   

The debates have started, and just as I expected, the sponsership scandal is being brought up left and right.

Sigh, they really need to move on and state some other issues.

news.yahoo.com...

It took just seconds Thursday for the sponsorship scandal to be used as a weapon to pound Prime Minister Paul Martin in the first of the nationally broadcast leaders' debates.

Bloc Quebecois Leader Gilles Duceppe said Martin's Liberal government has "lost the moral authority" to govern because of the scandal. "The sponsorship scandal is an incontestable issue," Duceppe said. "Justice Gomery ruled that the Liberal party brought itself into dishonour and that a system of bribes was in place."

"I think this is a dark time for democracy in Canada," New Democratic Party Leader Jack Layton said.

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper rounded out the sponsorship attack, telling Canadians they have a choice on Jan. 23 to turf the Liberals.

"This government needs to be replaced in order to be held accountable," Harper said.

Such a happy bunch in the photo though !

More debates and news to come.

I have heard that Gilles Duceppe does not like the new debate style.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I kind of miss the old debate style. It was a lot more entertaining.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Yes.

Oh well, these still give some enjoyment.

I like the photo I posted. I imagine Gilles Duceppe pointing at Harper and saying something like "You, as Prime Minister? Hahaha"

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   

The divisive issue of same-sex marriage triggered the most emotion-charged confrontation of the English-language election debate Friday, with accusations of hidden agendas and hypocrisy.

Follow the link for more

news.yahoo.com...

Much better when it is not being translated from french.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
The new style is sort of boring isn't it?

So far I've seen nothing new as far as who stands on what issue. I think these debates could use some personality type questions. Maybe something like if you could be any animal what kind would you be

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
The old debates were much better. I just want to see them rip into each other and hopefully one screws up so bad it tosses them out of any chances.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Well tonights debate was more interesting.

I'm interested to see how Martin's comment on the notwithstanding clause will effect the election.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I'm not a big fan of the notwithstanding clause and can't think of a single good reason to use it off the top of my head. That doesn't mean I want them amending the Charter to remove it. Who knows what else they'll muck about with at the same time.

At this point, they all have said/done/promised something I don't agree with. All I can do is hope that like, so many other governments before them, they will promptly break these promises or that they will not be able to get any of these issues passed in whatever form of a minority we end up with.

It frightens me a little that I am becoming somewhat fond of Gilles Duceppe. It's a shame he runs for the Bloc. Does he remind anyone else of Barry Manilow? Or is that just me?

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Egad !

Thats funny.

One thing I am shocked at..... Stephen Harper has not said something incredibly stupid that will ruin his chances.

I guess there is still time. Seems like he always blows it.

join