It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Iraqi Elections Appear to be a Huge Success

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Iraqis went to the polls today to choose their first long term democratically-elected government after the fall of Saddam Hussein's Ba'athist regime. Voter turnout was so high, especially in Sunni-dominated areas that had boycotted the January interim government election, that many stations needed to extend voting by one hour. Violence was minimal, with reports of only scattered attacks with few casualities. Preliminary results could be out as early as later today; however a full official tally could take days or even weeks to complete.

www.nytimes.com
BAGHDAD, Iraq, Dec. 15 - In a day remarkable for the absence of large-scale violence, millions of Iraqi voters, many of them dressed in their best and traveling with other family members, streamed to the polls today to cast ballots in a nationwide election as Iraqi leaders predicted that the vote would split almost evenly between secular and Islamist parties.

In spite of some explosions in Baghdad and Ramadi, voting appeared to be strong in many parts of the country, including in Sunni neighborhoods where many people boycotted the last election.

"The numbers are larger than the previous election," Zalmay Khalilzad, the United States ambassador here, told CNN this morning.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This really looks good, as it appears the Sunnis who had been allying themselves with foreign terrorists have turned the corner and are now trying to express themselves through the democratic process rather than through violence. The new coalition government will have to work hard to iron out differences between their various groups, but I think it will be possible. Viva Iraq!

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
This really looks good, as it appears the Sunnis who had been allying themselves with foreign terrorists have turned the corner and are now trying to express themselves through the democratic process rather than through violence.

There is also another possibility. Perhaps they turned out to vote for candidates that lean towards the Sunnis's or actual Sunnis candicates. I think there may be some on the ballot, but I am not sure.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Well I hope this is as good news as it appears at first glance. Only time will tell lets all hope for the best.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
There is also another possibility. Perhaps they turned out to vote for candidates that lean towards the Sunnis's or actual Sunnis candicates. I think there may be some on the ballot, but I am not sure.

Yeah but that is what freedom is all about! It is their right to vote for and support the candidates of their choice. I am glad to see that the Sunni are taking part. I also hope that they do have candidates elected to represent their interest. This will make for a smoother run government. It is early yet
but I am optimistic.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I find it hard to believe that so few people have a comment about this apparently successful election process. Could it be that no one wants Iraq to emerge as a stable democratic state?

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
...or the fact many people know an election means nothing?

Just because more people are taking part does not mean it will make it more stable, in fact it could lead to a level of decline. Now the Sunni are taking part, when things still begin to go against them it can lead to more hostility and not less.

A lot of people forget that just because they are voting, doesn't mean that problems will not happen when the United State's leave it would be foolish to think otherwise. In fact, I would not be shocked if the terrorists let things run low until troops begin to with draw and hit hard then - especailly if they have as many people mixed in with the military and police as I have seen claimed.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
...or the fact many people know an election means nothing?

All the caveats you name are real, but be assured that an election means a lot. When people get a taste of freedom and have a hand in their governance, the results can be profound. The goal of freedom can never be abandoned because complacency is the mortal enemy of freedom. If Iraqis can learn this lesson, they will be well on their way to a stable nation. We should wish them well.

[edit on 2005/12/15 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
And GradyPhilpott, I do wish them the best. To be honest, I do for the whole of Iraq but with Iran, Turkey and so many other problems within the region as a whole I think it'll get worse before it gets better.

Let us both just hope it gets better.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
They are all doing exactly as was originally intended , they are getting in line to be fleeced , like the ignorant sheoples that they are.
Of course they are , then the water and lights will come back on, and they can fall asleep in front of their TV sets and computers , and pretend all is right in the world.
It means nothing, and soon it will mean less.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
^^^ LOL, such a profound statement, from such a profound person LMAO.

Good to see the elections went well, this may be the turning point. As long as the Shiites don't use their probable majority to bully the rest of Iraq into becoming a Iranian type state, I'm happy and so should the Iraqi people

The lack of signiaficant terrorist activity could also be a sign that their losing their base and support

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Sunnis Call Election Results Fraudulent

...and so it begins.

The Sunni do not desire to be ruled, they desire to rule once more they do not know how to live as equals in Iraq and the older generation will be a problem for many years...shame, let us just hope it stays on a verbal level.

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Iraqis March, Say Elections Were Rigged

Large demonstrations broke out across the country Friday to denounce parliamentary elections that protesters say were rigged in favor of the main religious Shiite coalition.

And as many of us said, it wouldn't get better at all...

At this rate, I am thinking a Civil War in Iraq might be the best thing for the place.

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The election was an overwhelming success, imo. So there were allegations of fraud. So what? Did anyone expect any less? And the actual details are almost laughable:

Adnan al-Dulaimi, head of the Sunni Arab alliance the Iraqi Accordance Front, listed several complaints, including voting centers failing to open, shortages in election materials and reports of multiple voting.

The rest of the world could have lent a helping hand, you know. Monitoring the vote would have squashed these allegations.

But maybe, it's better that they didn't help out... I don't think I trust a nation who thinks a civil war is a better option than an election.

At first the Sunnis wanted nothing to do with the election process. They tried more violence in hopes that it would cause the process to fail. But it backfired on them - they quickly found out that the average Iraqi wants to be responsible for his future. So the Sunnis ( wisely ) decided to be a part of the process. They reacted predictably when they didn't win everything they wanted at first try.

Now the insurgents will renew their violence, lives will be lost, and the Sunnis will have to learn another lesson the hard way.

The longer the insurgency is active, the longer we will stay in Iraq. If it takes another election cycle, the so be it. They will find out what men of real will are made of.

The elections will succeed. Iraq is beginning to taste freedom and the heady effect of achievement. Take the Iraq Stock Exchange, for example. By many accounts, it is a diamond in the rough. Once Iraqis control their future, and it is not in the hands of a murderous dictator, they will be a definite economic and political force in the ME.

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
At this rate, I am thinking a Civil War in Iraq might be the best thing for the place.

The Country will probably split into two regions, just like what happened to the United States prior to the Civil War.

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
The Country will probably split into two regions, just like what happened to the United States prior to the Civil War.

I doubt it. There's no reason why the Sunnis would want to split off, since the wealth is in the other regions.

The people who were most likely to split off, the Kurds, seem to be going along with a united Iraq, at least for now.

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
There's no reason why the Sunnis would want to split off, since the wealth is in the other regions.

Good point

Maybe my theory of a split off is abit too extreme, but i feel that there will probably be a civil war. Iran will probably fuel the tension to breaking point.

join