It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Condoleezza Rice Accuses World Of Ignoring Saddam Trial

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Speaking to the Heritage Foundation Think Tank, USA Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said the world is doing little to help prosecute Saddam Hussein and she has accused the world community of boycotting the trial. The trial, which opened on October 19th has been adjourned until December 21 and lawyers for the defence have often complained that the trial has been created by a foreign occupying power. Condoleezza Rice's speech was part of a concerted effort by the Bush administration to win back support for the War In Iraq.

www.news.com.au
But after praising world backing for UN resolutions on Iraq, she said, "I'm sad to say that the international community has barely done anything to help Iraq prosecute Saddam Hussein."

"The international community's effective boycott of Sadadam's trial is only harming the Iraqi people who are now working to secure the hope of justice and freedom that Saddam long denied them," Ms Rice said.

The US has invested some $US128 million ($169.8 million) to train and equip the judges and lawyers in the trial against Saddam and the others on charges of crimes against humanity, according to Human Rights Watch.

After speeches by Mr Bush promoting progress in fighting the insurgency and boosting political and economic development, Ms Rice focused on what she portrayed as mixed success in garnering world financial and other support.

The chief US diplomat also took new shots at Syria and Iran, which she said were still trying to obstruct Iraq's transition to a democratic state.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think the apathy towards the trial is indicitive of many in the worlds thoughts on the Iraq situation and the USA's war effort. The world is divided over support for the war, the longer it drags on, the longer that the USA is seen by many nations and people as an occupying power within the country.

[edit on 13-12-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Saddam ain't no OJ or Martha

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
NEWS: ImJaded accuses Condoleeza Rice of talking too damn much.

sorry I couldn't not

I know U won't catch me ever watching that trial

I think the apathy towards the trial is indicitive of many in the worlds thoughts on the Iraq situation and the USA's war effort.
so true.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Simple solution to the apparent problem that Dr. Rice is asserting:
Work a deal with CNN, BBC, FOX, and a few other media outlets and allow the whole trial to be worldwide televised live as the trial happens, not as tape clips for mention on mainstream nightly news....

Make it into another OJ trial, etc.

seekerof

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Okay, I'm sorry, she's got me. I'm guilty. I don't care. And I truly mean it.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Well we didn't see much of Slobodan Milosevic's trial either. I think mainly that it just makes for boring TV and commetary.
It's hardly the action packed spectical I'm sure many people were expecting.

PS. I wonder how many people would have watched the trial of say, Idi Amin or someone of equal weight as Saddam. Not many.
The important thing is that the Iraqi's are watching it, who cares about the rest of the world. The only reason the US could care less about the rest of the world watching it, is os they could score some points - ' see it's working ' etc.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist
The important thing is that the Iraqi's are watching it, who cares about the rest of the world. The only reason the US could care less about the rest of the world watching it, is os they could score some points - ' see it's working ' etc.

Agreed and well said, mad scientist.

seekerof

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
First of all the reason why the "rest of the world" is not caring about the Sadam trial is because we feel this is your (the USA) problem to deal with. You wanted to go there, you wanted to invade, you wanted this man on trial... Now you want us to be your cheer leaders? Piss off! Deal with it yourself you oil hungry war mongers

Day by day your gouvernment turns into elitest jerks (The USA). Go crawl in a hole and bitch to yourself Connie.

[edit on 12/13/05 by HumptyDumpty]

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
What does she want?

Nobody minds if he hangs- They (the world) just doesnt want to be exposed to a circus. Kill him already.

Happy now?

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I wonder what Condi wants us to do? There was plenty of support to go into Iraq and capture this man, what do they expect us to do, now? Stand outside the courthouse and collect funds? Lead cheers?

Boycott? I don't get this at all. :shk:

Careful there Humpty, you'll fall off that wall.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Geee if I remember Correctly,

this Entire "War on Terrorism" started with some Osama Dude;

where is He these days?

I bet that the Majority of the people thinks that Osama and Saddam are one Same Guy!

Anyway - why are we Ignoring the Saddam Trial?

BECAUSE IT IS A JOKE!

Something to Divert the Attention from the REAL Problems, that are going on in Iraq Today. To make looks that the US Intervention was a "Mission Accomplished" and the Guilty Man is in the Court!

YaY!

VIVA IRAQ!

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I don't think she's talking about regular citizens watching this, like an OJ or Scott Peterson media circus -- she's talking about government-to-government aid to Iraq to assist in their prosecution.

But I fully agree with the idea it really doesn't matter...this trial is part of Iraq's healing process, no one else's. The more Iraqis are able to do it themselves, the better IMHO.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
It's not as if there is a lot of suspense about the outcome...

People have a wide variety of opinions about the war that lead to his downfall, but there doesn't seem to be much doubt in any quarter that he was a murderous tyrant.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I wonder if the COURT will Present the Forthcoming EVIDENCE about Saddam's Friends:

Regime Change: How the CIA put Saddam's Party in Power

In 1959, there was a failed assassination attempt on Qasim. The failed assassin was none other than a young Saddam Hussein. In 1963, a CIA-organized coup did successfully assassinate Qasim and Saddam's Ba'ath Party came to power for the first time. Saddam returned from exile in Egypt and took up the key post as head of Iraq's secret service. The CIA then provided the new pliant, Iraqi regime with the names of thousands of communists, and other leftist activists and organizers. Thousands of these supporters of Qasim and his policies were soon dead in a rampage of mass murder carried out by the CIA's close friends in Iraq.

Hey - the CIA Put this MUDEROUS Dictator to Power!

Saddam key in early CIA plot

While many have thought that Saddam first became involved with U.S. intelligence agencies at the start of the September 1980 Iran-Iraq war, his first contacts with U.S. officials date back to 1959, when he was part of a CIA-authorized six-man squad tasked with assassinating then Iraqi Prime Minister Gen. Abd al-Karim Qasim.

In July 1958, Qasim had overthrown the Iraqi monarchy in what one former U.S. diplomat, who asked not to be identified, described as "a horrible orgy of bloodshed."

Hey - forget it! Those were the Days of Cold War nobody wants to Bring back to Life!

CIA coups in Iraq in 1963 & 1968 helped put Saddam Hussein in power

The Iraqi Baathists and the CIA had a common interest in getting rid of pro-Soviet Qassim. Several authors believe that Saddam was helping the CIA and the Baathists coordinate a coup.

"The relationship between the Americans and the Baath Party at that moment in time was very close indeed".

CIA and the WICKED Ba'athist Party were Close Friends Once, remember?

Just like Osama was with his Mujahideen in Afganistan.

Will that EVIDENCE also be PRESENTED in Court of Law?

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   

as posted by Souljah

You defending Saddam or is Ramsey Clark and the rest of the defense team?
Send it to Ramsey Clark if the evidence you present is valid and worthy of being submitted and used in a court of law, Souljah.

seekerof

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Wait a minute... I thought the whole point was for the Iraqis to take control of the detention and trial of Saddam? Wasn't this to demonstrate Iraq's new found liberation and democracy and that it could stand on it's own feet?

Now we're complaining that other countries aren't helping out? How exactly do they need help? Do they need more money to train the judges and lawyers?

The US has invested some $US128 million ($169.8 million) to train and equip the judges and lawyers in the trial against Saddam and the others on charges of crimes against humanity, according to Human Rights Watch.

Did these judges and lawyers have any training before, 'cause you know, $128 Million dollars is an awful lot of "training" money and if you had a cynical mind you might think it was a poorly disguised bribe.

You wouldn't want people to think that it was only the US that "trained" the judges and prosecution team now would you? So cough up some bucks you coalition of the willing guys!

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Actually the trail is being given coverage in the US by Court TV, It is the rest of the world that is not covering it.

Why you ask? Simple answer it is very hard to translate their language in real time (accurately) into all languages.

Also you have to remember other muslims are out rioting in Australia and France so they have no interest

[edit on 12/13/2005 by shots]

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Even if it's all true, which wouldn't necessarily shock me, what does it have to do with his innocence or guilt on the charges against him?

So the CIA helped put him in power.
Does that make him less of a despot somehow?
Does it make the people he killed less dead?

Frankly I will have no qualms about seeing Saddam hang.
It's the other 30,000 (+?) dead Iraqis that bug me...

[edit on 12/13/05 by xmotex]

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by HumptyDumpty
First of all the reason why the "rest of the world" is not caring about the Sadam trial is because we feel this is your (the USA) problem to deal with. You wanted to go there, you wanted to invade, you wanted this man on trial... Now you want us to be your cheer leaders? Piss off! Deal with it yourself you oil hungry war mongers

Day by day your gouvernment turns into elitest jerks (The USA). Go crawl in a hole and bitch to yourself Connie.

Well said!
You already pretty much said what I wanted to reply with lol

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Here's a novel idea Condi - wan't the world involved?

Have the trial in The Hague, you know the International Court of Justice.

These types of stories just make America drop even lower on the respect 'o' metre, they have no clue what "International" means.

<<   2 >>

join