It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gwenyth Paltrow - Anti-American Princess

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Cold. Cruel. Complete lack of sympathy
for the American families of the victims of crime.
Completely unaware that different countries
have different cultures and different ways of
handling grief.

She is Hollyweird's anti-American Princess.

www.xtramsn.com...

Excerpt - her words -

She says, "I find the English amazing how they got over 7/7.

"There were no multiple memorials with people sobbing as they would
have been in America.

[edit on 12/13/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but i dont see how this makes her cold....:shk:

I like her, she seems very nice. I dont necessarily think she said anything Anti American.

The truth is (and i love the British) that they handle things differently there, and are more composed.

Just my thoughts.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Just another brainless Hollywood moronic twit is what she is. A clueless self serving hypocrite.

I say----

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Isn't she married to a Brit?? There's a little bias there.

What she should have said is how much less brainwashing and conditioning by the media there is in the UK as compared to America. That's why we build memorials and make movies about hero plane passengers on 9/11. All that crap is done to elicit an emotional response from American citizens. It makes us not think clearly. It makes us weak. 'They' use our patriotism against us.

That being said, most actors are not playing with a full deck when it comes to reality, so I really don't pay attention to them. I would tell Paltrow to shut her yapper and keep lookin' good. She could never go wrong with that kind of advice.

Peace

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Isn't she married to a Brit?? There's a little bias there.

What she should have said is how much less brainwashing and conditioning by the media there is in the UK as compared to America. That's why we build memorials and make movies about hero plane passengers on 9/11. All that crap is done to elicit an emotional response from American citizens. It makes us not think clearly. It makes us weak. 'They' use our patriotism against us.

Peace
This is what i got out of her statement.

its the truth.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I find the English amazing how they got over 7/7.

"There were no multiple memorials with people sobbing as they would have been in America.

"There, they are constantly scaring people but at the same time, people think nothing of going to see a therapist."

I find it amazing that you got all of that from her above statement. It was a dis, nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I like how people immediately jump to the fact she must be some evil anti-american person because she lauds the brittish for their methods of coping with disaster. Shows the normal process here wondefully. That tidbit aside I would have to agree with her that the brits have done a wonderful job of dealing with the attacks against them, they had their mourning, then they tracked down those responsible in no short time and dealt with them. Here in the US we milk things for years, heck four years after the tragedy at Columbine HS in Colorado there were televised memorials brining it all back again instead of letting those directly and immediately affected deal with things in their own private fashion. We do dredge up things here in the US that are often better off left alone and quite often I suspect its at the behest of political officials who spin and manipulate tragedy to their own ends. So is it a diss or just a painful fact?

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
It wasn't because she lauds the Brits,that I have a problem with what she said, that is all well and fine and rightly deserved as well.

But look at her actual statements. The first sentence was complimentary to the Brits but the other two were insults to Americans and meant to be taken that way.

No, she can laud the Brits all day long as far as I am concerned, they have earned it.

[edit on 12/13/2005 by Classified Info]

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
But she's American, so she's dissing (as you call it) herself!!

I'm American and I take no offense to it at all. She's right.

Peace

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Here is the full article for those who haven't licked on the link to read it.

Gwyneth Paltrow has praised Londoners for their resilience after the British capital's transport network was attacked by suicide bombers on July 7.

The Shakespeare In Love beauty, who lives in London with her rock star husband Chris Martin and daughter Apple, admits she is amazed by the locals' courage in the face of adversity.

She says, "I find the English amazing how they got over 7/7.

"There were no multiple memorials with people sobbing as they would have been in America.

"There, they are constantly scaring people but at the same time, people think nothing of going to see a therapist."

It looks to me like she is praising Londoners for their resilience and slamming the American media for their usual fear mongering. It's too bad people look at this as anti-American instead of asking why the media puts them in a state of fear.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
But you must understand that she is a Hollywood superstar so therfore she considers herself to be above and more evolved than everyone else. It is all the unenlightened people in flyover country that are the cause of all of our countries ills, dont you know.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Lived in Both Britain and the US. Was in the States for 911, left london the day before the attacks there but have been back since. First its important to realize that the two attacks were massively different in terms of scale, that alone makes them hard to compare. saying that I do agree that the Brits handle things differently, the general consensus there was: This was a terrible atrocity but we are proud of our extremely diverse city and not let this ruin our day to day freedoms.
I think in general the British look at things much, much more logically than Americans, looking at our differences in Media make that plainly obvious. Respectable British Media still covers actual News and World events while much of our News (Televised at least) in the U.S. it is the latest Murder Trial.

As for Gweneth I dont see how she is bashing America. Try to imagine being an American, living in Britain, married to a Brit. We all see things through our own eyes. I've learned more than I could ever imagine about America when living and traveling outside of it. People who spend there whole lives in the states often dont realize that this is a country that is nearly impossible of self-reflection.

My two cents.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Jimminy Cricket, nothings wrong with voicing your opinion. Its ok to opine.

She's stating the truth. Everything here turns into propaganda and a three ring circus-

She's right.

"Anti-American" is a cliche right out of the Republicans book on "How to insult those who do not see things your way"

Amazon- 49.95$

Ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
So you have no problems with what seemed to be her suggestion that all Americans are in therapy are in need of therapy?

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I stand by what I said.

This was cold and culturally insensitive of her.

So what if she's married to a brit. She can tell them
that she likes how they handle things - with the typical
British 'stiff upper lip' - without slamming America and
our culture in regards to how we mourn our dead.

She's physically beautiful, but culturally insensitive
and coldly anti-American. She's a brainless twit.

[edit on 12/14/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Here is the full article .....

Umbrax, ya' can't post full articles. It goes against
copyrights. That's why I only posted a few lines
and provided a link for the rest.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Who cares what she thinks.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   
That's not fair dude.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
That is anti-american how???
Its what she thinks OMG she must be anti-american!

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Who cares?

So that's her opinion. She believes the old "British stiff upper lip" and all that. That's fine. It's a cultural thing.

People in the entertainment industry believe that by appearing in films they become renowned authorities on everything, including sociology as in this case. They also become experts in matters of forein policy, just ask Johnny Depp.

The point is, who the hell cares? They have the right to babble about whatever they want, the same way we all do. If people choose to listen to them because they can act, or claim they can act, that's not their fault.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join