It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea-horse bug?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I found this bug that's shaped exactly like a sea horse (minus the little curly tail thing) except that it had wings and could fly (and wasn't in the ocean and was really small).
Anyone know what they're called?

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   
what color is it? Do you still have it? Does it have a stinger? Can you upload a picture of it? Where did you find it(what country and region)?

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Yeah, too little info. Is it an insect or animal?

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
It's an insect, I had it under a cup but then it dissapeard. =\ (I'm sure I didn't imagine it.. I think)
It was a faded white colour and was about the same size as..
well it was small, probaly a TINY bit taller than the end of a ballpoint pen when it's clicked out.

I live in Australia and have no camera. (Not because I live in Australia)

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
When something like that happens and you think you must be tripping because nothing like it could exist, you have to find a way to take close up pictures so it can be saved. but i know what you mean and its hard to get a pic always.. still wish i could see it

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 01:35 AM
link   
So do I. It's like I imagined it, because I did infact pull it's wings off (I know, don't hate me) and put them under the cup too, but then when I picked up the cup to look at it again the wings were also gone.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
So do I. It's like I imagined it, because I did infact pull it's wings off (I know, don't hate me) and put them under the cup too, but then when I picked up the cup to look at it again the wings were also gone.

"Every time you say, 'fairies don't exist', a fairy dies!" Not to mention pulling of their wings...!

But seriously, Nventual, what's up with you and bugs? We still don't know what the last bug was that you saw... May I suggest that you get someone to buy you an entomology book for Christmas?
Or should start playing the guessing game again?

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Lol, I like guessing games. I gave all the clues I could about the last bug and still no one found a name for it, it looks like the same goes for this bug.
I googled "seahorse bug" and there's nothing about a bug shaped like a sea horse.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Right... My vote still goes towards an entomology field guide...

Your clues are unfortunately lacking a bit. Here's what we've got....
Seahorse like without the curly tail. Does it fly upright like the way a sea-horse swim?
Colours? White... Did it have any patterns, spots, etc.? Was it completely white, or white with black legs and red eyes? What colour was the wings? Was it one set of wings or two? Were there any veins in the wings?
How many legs did it have? Were all the legs the same size?
Did it have long or short antennae?
What about the mouth? Did it have a mouth with piercing and sucking beaks or chewing mouthparts?
Were it covered in hair or some kind of powder?

That should at least help us find a group of insect, and then we can find the species from there...

And how on earth did you pull off its wings when it's the size of a ballpoint pen's tip?

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Argh, okay here we go. This is like a survey hey.

I'm afraid of bugs, so I don't like looking at them much lol but I'm interested in them.

It flew like a normal fly or moth or anything (I think). It was just a faded white/creamish colour with no spots or patterns or anything, it had see-through wings (like a fly, only smaller) and I didn't look for veins. It had these 2 legs and they were the same size. I don't remember the size of the angtennae. I think it's mouth was round and kind of sucked, because I remember it acting like it was sucking on my finger, I don't think it chewed. It wasn't covered in any hair or anything.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   
OK, that narrows it down to the Diptera family. Insects like flies and mosquitoes are also members of this family of insects. Now to narrow it down to the sub-species... (You do realize that this is like finding a needle in a haystack... There are more than 5 million different species of insects on the planet... And new species are discovered on a regular basis. You might just as well have discovered a new species, but without the specimen it's kinda useless.

*** Puts on thinking cap ***

(Are you sure it wasn't a dragonfly or a mayfly?
)

But on a more serious note, do you believe it to be an actual insect or do you suspect something above normal/natural?

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Did it really look like this?

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Clutching at stares somewhat, given the enormous number of species that are out there, but have a look at this little creature here.

It may be nothing like you saw of course, but as the Tardigrades are such tough and versatile little monkeys I thought I'd get something about them posted. Sorry of it's not helpful in your search ...

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I don't think it would be something unnatural lol, it never crossed my mind anyway.
Yes Libra, that's what it looked like but the tail wasn't as long and it wasn't spotted and it had wings.
And that Tardigrades looks nothing like it, lol.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
So this insect had only 2 legs??? Were you outside or inside when you found it?

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Here is a link to Australian insects, via Google, and Lord only knows how many pages......happy hunting!!

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
If this is not it then I don't know what to tell you man!

Check this out!!!

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Maybe this is where this frustrating thread was cooked up. EH?

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
The bug I had didn't have the seahorse tail, and of course it had wings hence me catching it while it was flying.
That other picture wasn't it, and I'm not going through 999999 pages of images.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
www.amonline.net.au...

Check out this site.

Or here's a fun one.
www.hopedesigns.com...

[edit on 22-12-2005 by librasleep]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join