It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Appalacian Earthquakes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I live pretty close to Hot Springs and Burnsville, North Western Area of NC and I felt the one that was centered in Hot Springs, 3.8 seemed quite a jolt. I actually thought my wife had left the parking brake off on the car or something and it had hit the house. Yesterday was had another one centered near the town of Burnsville, I didn't feel it but it was a 2.8. This area is the oldest mountain range in the world, the closest fault line is called the brevard fault, and it has been virtually inactive for a long time, now two minor quakes in less than four months. Is the Brevard Fault slipping or something? I'm pretty ignorant of Geology, but is there a forecast or something for fault movements?

www.wistv.com...
(Burnsville, NC-AP) December 8, 2005 - A small earthquake rattled homes in Yancey County, North Carolina, on Wednesday afternoon.
The US Geological Survey says Wednesday's earthquake had a magnitude of 2.8. No damage was reported.

It was the second time in four months that a minor quake was reported in the same general area. The quake was centered near the community of Price Creek, about six miles from Burnsville and nearly 100 miles northwest of Charlotte.

They don't call that area Hot Springs for nothing lol.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Yes, the fault is still active.

Remember that the continental plates are still crushing into each other. They process is slow, but they're still active.

You might want to check your home owners' insurance coverage (I'm serious, here) to see what's covered. However, I don't think you should expect to fall into the Atlantic Ocean any time soon.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I was in the town of Burnsvillle, at my high school, at the time this hit, and I didn't feel it either.

Micro Quake Hits CR School Area

12/08/2005

The Cane River School area of West Yancey was hit by a micro earthquake Wednesday afternoon at 2:30 pm. The National Earthquake Information Center in Denver Colorado measured the quake at 2.8. Residents in Whitt Bottoms and Jacks Creek reported articles being knocked off shelves and sources say the quake shook the Cane River Middle School knocking over a few desks. Yancey Communications said they had several calls concerning the incident. The U.S. Geological Survey says the epicenter of Wednesday's earthquake was near this area. It was back in August an Earthquake hit Hot Springs in Madison County. It measured 3.8 There was injures from yesterday’s Quake in West YanceyWhere the news story came from

Mountain Heritage High School is but a few miles from Cane River Middle School, and we didn't feel a thing!

join