It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suggestion for ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Has anyone on the ATS staff considered the installation of a downloadable ticker-tape? I mean like the BBC News website offers (and other news sites I'm sure).

I realise this probably wouldn't be viable whilst ATS are still experiencing some performance issues, but for the future?

I know these can be written in a number of ways, using Flash, basic HTML and the likes of Javascript, but as to the performance implications I'm not sure.

Was just curious

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 08:16 AM
link   
'Tis an excellet idea, however, members cannot submit new articles yet (or at least yesterday they could not)...
All of the news ZM finds, verus the news 300 members find in a day...

Before initializing the news ticker, I believe it would be more practical to have the news submission system running...
Anyways, that is a great idea UF, we don't get many of those nowadays.

- Tass

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by UniversalFiction
Has anyone on the ATS staff considered the installation of a downloadable ticker-tape? I mean like the BBC News website offers (and other news sites I'm sure).

I realise this probably wouldn't be viable whilst ATS are still experiencing some performance issues, but for the future?

I know these can be written in a number of ways, using Flash, basic HTML and the likes of Javascript, but as to the performance implications I'm not sure.

Was just curious

Yeah good idea UF, you had to have one...eventually

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Thanks, glad you approve

Tis funny though, despite me actually using the word "news" in my post and referring to the BBCs "news" ticker, I hadn't actually meant for it to be used for news!

I was thinking more along the lines of displaying the most recently posted topics, like an un-dockable version of the 'Recent Posts' frame on the main forum page.

Either would be cool though, it could be a configurable ticker that would display whatever you asked it to (like you might do when choosing particular areas of interest for the news ticker, Sci/Tech, Nature, Sport etc).

Sorry...just thinking aloud

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by trinityschild

Originally posted by UniversalFiction

Was just curious

Yeah good idea UF, you had to have one...eventually

Just remember you're well within striking distance TC

[Edited on 24-9-2003 by UniversalFiction]

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tassadar

Before initializing the news ticker, I believe it would be more practical to have the news submission system running...

Indeed, we need to wait for the submition system. You can earn points for every submission that gets approved.

The newsticker itself isn't that hard to make, I could make it with java, but I'm affraid I do not have the time for it.

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zion Mainframe

The newsticker itself isn't that hard to make, I could make it with java, but I'm affraid I do not have the time for it.

I'd wondered if Javascript would be the way to go, but wasn't sure. I've managed a few light-weight scripts for counters/menu effects etc, but I don't think my skills would stretch this far

Incidentally, on that note, my services are always available to ATS should extra help ever be required!

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I meant JAVA, not javascript
Anyway, those kind of tickers can also be downloaded (I think).

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zion Mainframe
I meant JAVA, not javascript
Anyway, those kind of tickers can also be downloaded (I think).

Apologies, Zion. Yeah, I've seen a lot around, there's plenty available. No idea what kind would be more suitable though.

top topics

join