It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Buckyballs Could Deform Human DNA

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Here is a new product to watch out for. Nanocoatings on portable electronics.

www.physorg.com...

All they say it they use oxide nanoparticles and it seems they have not finalized a commercial product as of yet, but I will expect there to be one in at least 2-3 years.

Developing a technique in which a coating will stick onto a surface without inadvertently clouding it up was "the biggest challenge," Ramsey said. The solution they came up with uses ultraviolet light to quickly cure the coating applied to the polycarbonate without etching the surface. This process contains no toxic solvents, water or other liquids.

Seems pretty green on the manufacturing side for this coating
Anything that is solventless is good.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Can you please hi-light actual products confirmed to have Buckyballs in them. I know the products that use the Tube form of the molecule and they are few and far between, I have yet to hear of any C60 molecules in products you can buy at Wally World or Best Buy(and frankely I would like the ticker symbols too
). Buckyballs don't necessarily have to be made of Carbon. Statements like "They are being mass pruduced" are way to foggy for me, I need actual product names etc.

I've been looking for an actual product that you could buy at your local Wally World, and this is what I've found so far....

To date more than 400 Japanese companies have purchased sample lots and are developing commercial products with unique characteristics. Some products using fullerenic materials are already commercialized in Japan, for example coatings for bowling balls, fibre reinforced composites for badminton rackets, tennis rackets, and golf club shafts, lubricants for car air conditioners and coatings for glass.

A wave of research and development activities all over the world has led to almost 2,000 application-oriented patents, spanning a very broad range spectrum of potential commercial applications, including: anticancer drug delivery systems using photodynamic therapy, HIV drugs, cosmetics to slow down the aging of human skin, longer-life lithium ion batteries, electrolyte membrane for fuel cells, superconductive materials, highly functional coatings, nano-composite polymers with desirable mechanical, thermal, electromagnetic, and/or optical properties, and ultra-fine crystalline artificial diamonds for drilling and industrial polishing.

www.netcomposites.com...

CNI is the world leader in the production of single wall carbon nanotubes (SWNT) and other small diameter carbon nanotubes in addition to holding a broad portfolio of technology covering production processes, enabling and end-use technology. C Sixty is the world leader in the functionalization of C60 molecules (buckyballs) and is actively pursuing the development of medical applications using C60 derivatives.

nanotechwire.com...

But it turns out that we've actually been making fullerenes unknowingly for thousands of years – whenever we burn a candle or an oil lamp. The candle's flickering flame vaporises wax molecules containing carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. Some of these molecules burn instantly in the blue heart of the flame. Others move upwards into the yellow tip where the temperature is great enough to split them apart. The result is carbon-rich soot particles that glow, giving off gentle yellow light. Amid this soot are buckyballs.

In the United States, Xerox owns patents for using buckyballs to improve resolution of photocopies. They are 1000 times smaller than the particles used in conventional photocopier toner.

www.science.org.au...

So far I haven't found a brand name that says that they use C60 in their product. But I sure notice that the mass media is picking up this story in a big way. Almost every major news source has a story on the possible dangers of buckyballs, and at this point it's mostly speculation based on too few studies.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Lets hope they know about the Rice "Toxicity Tuning" research. They probably do as that would just increase their control over these amazing particles. Thanks for the Links btw
Too bad about the lack of product information, I would really like to know it so I know what to avoid and what to invest in heh. Let's just hope we don't start to use this stuff as Insulation and Disinfectant lol.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join