It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bye Bye Blackberrys?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Research In Motion LTD, maker of the Blackberry, suffered a setback when a US District judge ruled against them in a patent infringement case. The case revolves around a lawsuit filed in 2001 by patent holder NTP. A settlement for $450 million was reached between the companies, however the judge refused to enforce the terms of the settlement.

money.cnn.com
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Ltd. was dealt another legal setback in a key patent infringement case on Wednesday, raising pressure to settle or face a possible shutdown of its U.S. mobile e-mail service.

U.S. District Judge James Spencer denied a request by Research In Motion to enforce the terms of a disputed $450 million settlement reached earlier this year with patent holding company NTP Inc.

Now the judge will set up a hearing on whether RIM can keep selling or importing its BlackBerry hardware and software in the United States.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This could be big news for Blackberry users. The Blackberry has become a very popular way to check email for businessmen on the road. It's perfect for people travelling that don't have or want to carry a laptop with them, or might not have internet access on the road. This could turn out to be a major blow to RIM.

[edit on 3-12-2005 by asala]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I am a littler bit skeptical on this one, taking in consideration that government employees use Blackberries and they are pay by the government.

How do I know because my husband have one and is considered government issue.

How do that work I don't know.

But I will be surprised if they would be taken out of the having INTERNET access.

join