It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sick of Reporters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Sadly, a few days ago I lost a childhood friend to a tragic accident.

What made this worse was that the media has become involved with the case. It would be one thing to report the facts, but its another to blatantly make things up just to fill the story.

I will not go into details, but I leave a simple question.

Does anyone know anyone, or been the person in a small news report? Did they report the facts?

What makes me mad is that the investigation into the death is not done and the media are reporting things they have no clue on. Do they believe just because few people know what really went on that they can make it up for a better story?

The whole thing has made me sick.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Dulcimer,

My condolensces on your loss and the loss your friend's world has suffered.

I have not been involved with any local media coverage incidences, but this is the same thing that happens at the national level of every drama story they decide to "make news" on instead of report news. This is what we had to live through when they made up the filthy lies about what was happening in the SuperDome during Katrina, and this is what we have to live with every time some pregnant white woman comes up missing.

They suck...and I share your disgust.

My prayers to you and your friend's family and loved ones.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend and hope you're doing ok.

Seems like the media almost always gets it wrong.

I used to work for the power company and after a small or large power outage the local paper would come to the power station to interview, take the tour etc. and get the skinny on what really happened.
A once a year event most times.

Seems like no matter what we told them they got it wrong and made up a story to cover their lack of knowledge or got fascinated with something that didn't really apply to what happened and ran with that.

Most of the reporters didn't have a clue about basic electricity and were apparently absent from school the day they taught students where electricity came from.

Not only electricity either.
Locally, it seems like every plane crash or close call at the local airport (wheels up landing etc.) happens to a Cessna.
Even if the last one that pulled the skidding to a stop on the runway bit was a Beech twin.

I would guess they depend on the public's lack of knowledge, but most of the public I know is well informed about a lot of things technical and otherwise and would put most reporters to shame in the knowledge dept.

(Edited for clarity)

[edit on 30-11-2005 by Desert Dawg]

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
My father died in a private plane crash when I was 15 and they did a brief bio on him, and didn't mention that I existed...just my half sisters.

Also, I pretty much found out about it on the news when it happened. They didn't say the name, but the type of plane, the airport it was leaving, and the destination, so I pretty knew it had to be him.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Also, I pretty much found out about it on the news when it happened.

When my mother was in a car accident, they didn't mention in the paper that I existed either.

But as for the quote, that's the real downside of the media. Sometimes its good to cover a story as early as possible. But to have to hear about a loved ones death on the news first, its just not right.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I too extend my condolences on the loss of your friend.

I also have a very dim view of the media and reporters in particular. In my particular prejudices on this topic...the media and reporters are often conducting themselves on the premise that they are America..by default. They are automatically entitled to play through and represent all of America by some kind of automatically applicable title or royal fiefdom to go ahead of the public because they are the public. They have long ago switched from news reporting to opinion making even on the local level of which you are concerned. Accuracy does not seem to be a prime intrest to them verses being able to mold public opinion.
Some of the media have noted public opinion since the Dan Rather debacle but most are plodding on in the same olde technique always used..as if they were public opinion.
Make a note of this in the media and by reporters..you will see it much more now that you have new eyes with which to see..

Once again ..my condolences on the loss of your friend...

Orangetom

top topics

join