It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New type of crocodilian found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
A new type of ancient crocodile was found. One with a short jaw and large teeth making it quite different from other croc-like cratures of the time. Instead of preying on fish and small animals, it went after the big creatures.

www.msnbc.msn.com
"The 13-foot long beast, Dakosaurus andiniensis, had a massive 18-inch-long jaw with interlocking 4-inch teeth. It is a long-lost relative of the crocodile yet it had fins."

"This species was very unusual, because other marine crocodiles that were around at the same time had very delicate features — long, skinny snouts and needle-like teeth for catching small fish and mollusks," said Ohio State University researcher Diego Pol, who determined the crocodile lineage. "But this croc was just the opposite. It had a short snout, and large teeth with serrated edges. It was definitely a predator of large sea creatures."

"There were many types of crocodiles around 135 million years ago, when Dakosaurus andiniensis roamed the sea. None were as big, however. And none had such a short, stout snout or so few teeth."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think it's pretty interesting to find out more about the crocodile and it's ancestors. It's been around for hundreds of millions of years and that we still don't know everything about its past is quite amazing. In my mind I think we should really give this some study.

If these crocodiles were believed to have the long jaws and short teeth, and this specimen proves there are exceptions, then it just goes to show us how little we really know. I think this is really just the beginning of a deeper interest in the eploration of Earth's past.

[edit on 11/11/05 by SFRemmy]

[edit on 14-11-2005 by asala]

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   

join