It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USS Scorpion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
An internet contact of mine, who works for the Naval archives, aluded to the fact that the Nuclear Submarine U.S.S. Scorpion, which imploded and was lost, back in the early 60's isn't alone. When the search found the wreck, there may be a Soviet Submarine with her. Sub Wars maybe.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
It would be most helpful if you could give us more to go on. Just to facilitate a good discussion

For example, here this article:
The USS Scorpion - Mystery of the Deep

And here the mystery is further discussed:

On 21 May, she indicated her position to be about 50 miles south of the Azores. Six days later, she was reported overdue at Norfolk.

A search was initiated; but, on 2 June, SCORPION and all hands were declared, "presumed lost." Her name was struck from the Navy List on 30 June 1968.

The search continued, however and, at the end of October, the Navy's oceanographic research ship, Mizar, located sections of SCORPION's hull in more than 10,000 feet of water about 400 miles southwest of the Azores. Subsequently, the Court of Inquiry was reconvened and other vessels, including the submersible, Trieste, were dispatched to the scene, but, despite the myriad of data and pictures collected and studied, the cause of the loss remains a mystery.

www.csp.navy.mil...

Then, a little commentary by you.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Hmmm, I would advise you to read "Blind Mans Bluff" as well as The Silent War: The Cold War Battle Beneath the Sea" By John Pina Craven. The wreckage of the Scorpion was consistent with an internal expolsion of one of the torpedos. In fact they managed to piece together information that batteries in this type of torpedo were prone to exploding.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Hmmm, I would advise you to read "Blind Mans Bluff" as well as The Silent War: The Cold War Battle Beneath the Sea" By John Pina Craven. The wreckage of the Scorpion was consistent with an internal expolsion of one of the torpedos. In fact they managed to piece together information that batteries in this type of torpedo were prone to exploding.

not proven...merely conjecture. this is the incident that prompted tom clancy's "hunt for red october." there are decades worth of rumors and theories about this incident, but no real proof on either side of what actually happened.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by snafu7700
not proven...merely conjecture. this is the incident that prompted tom clancy's "hunt for red october." there are decades worth of rumors and theories about this incident, but no real proof on either side of what actually happened.

Actually Clancy said in an interview that his basis for the story were K-19 meltdowns coupled with the Russian sub contingent that were armed with nuclear torpedos during the Cuban missile crisis lurking off the US coast.

The theories batted around for years are far less developed than the batter theory and they were put forth by one of the Navies' preeminet scientist who found the sub in the first place

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Actually Clancy said in an interview that his basis for the story were K-19 meltdowns coupled with the Russian sub contingent that were armed with nuclear torpedos during the Cuban missile crisis lurking off the US coast.

The theories batted around for years are far less developed than the batter theory and they were put forth by one of the Navies' preeminet scientist who found the sub in the first place

oops...we were both wrong. at least as far as clancy's book is concerned...i should have researched a little more before posting heresay

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I think this post say's it all .

posted on 12-6-2005 at 12:49 PM Post Number: 1452749 (post id: 1474642)

uss scorpion and uss threasher

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I'm just repeating what I was told. I do know the contact, and where he works, but for obvious reasons, he's not going to go on the record.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by airtrax007
I think this post say's it all .

posted on 12-6-2005 at 12:49 PM Post Number: 1452749 (post id: 1474642)

uss scorpion and uss threasher

I read somewhere that both of those subs were lost exploring underwater caves the expand underneath California.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
the post that i stated says the same thing.I think timoothy has it right.

new topics

top topics

join