It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USS United States CVA 58 Bomber Plane Carrier

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I was looking on some site about an abandoned aircraft carrier designed to carry bomber planes, it was cancelled for a force of Convair B-36 Bombers. I do admit the B-36 was a piece of aircraft engineering, it looked like somthing from a 1940s comic strip. I guess it was also that time when aircraft companies were trying to build the biggest planes, Howard Hughes built the biggest one of all. It was an amazing plane but at the end of the day it was not worth it(Only 10 years of service and never even seen action!).

Well lets get back to the carrier then, If this carrier was completed it would have served around the world and would have been used in Vietnam, Panama and Gulf War One(GW1),

It would have served at least up to the mid 1990s and i suppose a few more of this type of carrier would have been built.

navysite.de...

[edit on 31-10-2005 by Browno]

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Fairly pointless really. A big fat liability waiting to be hit. They already had intercontinental bombers back then, bases all over the world, it would have been rendered obselete just as quickly as the B-36.

Still a cool idea though

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
It's actually good the B-36 wasn't used, as it was our nuclear bomber prior to the B-52.

join