It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Dead Hand Nuclear Holocaust Program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 06:31 PM
link   
This is scary, and again epitomizes the essential meaning of MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction).

Kosvinsky is regarded by U.S. targeteers as the crown jewel of the Russian wartime nuclear command system, because it can communicate through the granite mountain to far-flung Russian strategic forces using very-low-frequency (VLF) radio signals that can burn through a nuclear war environment. The facility is the critical link to Russia's "dead hand" communications network, designed to ensure semi-automatic retaliation to a decapitating strike.

This doomsday apparatus, which became operational in 1984 during the height of the Reagan-era nuclear tensions, is an amazing feat of creative engineering. It features hard radio nodes near Moscow that can use remote control to launch communications rockets, which in turn can launch virtually the entire Russian missile force without human intervention. But the Moscow-area radio nodes have grown vulnerable over the past 20 years. Kosvinsky restores Russia's confidence in its ability to carry out a retaliatory strike.

www.cdi.org...

Twin dangers emerge from this posture -- nuclear inadvertence on one hand, and failure to retaliate for a real attack on the other. These risks have long worried Russian planners, and the situation becomes even more worrisome as the U.S. deploys Trident D-5 missiles, whose high accuracy and short flight time threaten to deprive Russia of a quick launch option. Because of these dangers Russia devised a back-up method of launch known as the "dead hand." If top leaders do not get a clear picture of an apparent missile attack, or if for any reason they fail to give timely authorization to retaliate, the General Staff can activate a special system designed to ensure quasi-automatic retaliation in the event of their decapitation. This dead-hand system, consisting of special underground radio stations, control posts, and communications rockets, became operational around 1985. Although its safety is hard to evaluate, the Soviets at least designed this system to fire missiles only after it registers certain objective conditions of enemy attack -- notably, the detection of nuclear explosions and a complete outage of communications with the General Staff. By contrast, the two methods of launching on warning mentioned earlier depend on data from warning sensors alone.

www.uspid.dsi.unimi.it...

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 06:34 PM
link   
haha ever seen Doctor Strangelove?

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I'm probably wrong but, I could have sworn we had a treaty with russia that we would keep our missiles targetted in the ocean and so would they unless we got to a certain war footing. I also thought we had an exchange program going between Norad and whatever thier main logistics center is( I'm lazy, I know)
To avoid such a scenario.

Maybe I just had a really nice dream or something...

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Check the links, those issues are addressed.

As far as targetting at the ocean, officially, all missles have been "De-Targetted"... however, because it is all electronic, they can be re-targetted in less than 10 seconds.

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Good Article on Russian dead hand DR.

It looks as though the Pentagon is eyeing of North Korea, China and Iran.

And may have something special arranged for each of them, should they step out of line.

Atomic bunker busters etc:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
The nuclear dead hand system is currently verry active for the soviate union even those units that are no longer under stratigic missile command at the cremlin. I speak from expereince when i say this, We had better all pray that Mr. Bush and all of his family are never allowed back in power again. No one realy knows how close he was to actualy pulling the Nuclear trigger eccept those closest to him like General Betrayus. The first action of President Obama Was to downgrade our current Defcon statous there by removing the fail safe for the moment. (Thank God) The Fail Safe or Dead Hand, Is actualy activated for service after a cirtin point in the Defcon system. Wich is allot less scary then the russians. But back to the point i was trying to make. We as a country need to wake up a little bit more yes we have removed a tyrant from office now but we need now to worry about those who still have power and wield it with ruthlesness and abandon. Like some of those of our current DoD offices and those who are incharge of our black ops projects.

Wolf

join