It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSU Recieves 10 million Dollar Grant; Opening Bioterrorism Research Center

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Michigan State University recieved a 10 million dollar grant to begin opening The Center Microbial Risk Assessment. In total 7 schools will be participating with the center, including University of Michigan, Drexler University, and University of Arizona. One of the directors of the facility will be Dr. Joan Rose, the Homer Nowlin Chair of Water Research for the Fisheries and Wildlife Department at MSU.

statenews

A new research center for preventing bioterrorism and the spread of infectious diseases will open at MSU with the aid of a $10 million federal grant.
The Center for Advancing Microbial Risk Assessment, or CAMRA, will be housed on campus and will coordinate the work of scientists at seven universities.

Joan Rose, MSU's Homer Nowlin Chair for Water Research, is the co-director of the center, which was created with a grant from the Environmental Protection Agency, or EPA, and the Department of Homeland Security.

The goal of the center is to develop models that will help government officials monitor and respond to potential environmental contaminants, Rose said.

First, I am a Fisheries and Wildlife junior here at MSU. So to see my department recieving the grant is exciting, plus the additional research options for grad school are very intriguing. Unfortunately I bet it will be hard to get into
Also just to mention I have never met Dr. Rose but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up in a class with her speaking, if not the professor herself.

Now what concerns me, is they only have 10 million to start with. That means they probally will have to occupy space in an existing building on campus. I can only think of two places:

1) The Biomedical and Physical Sciences building. It is just kiddy-corner from our Natural Resources building, home to the fireries and wildlife department. More than likely the choice.

2) There is a new building just completed this year, next to the vetenarian center (might even be connected, just dawn on me I never looked to see). It is just 5 minute or so walk down the street from the previously 2 buildings I stated. Now the vet center is also where birds of prey are stored for the MUCC as well as a number of domesticated animals. They also treat the local zoo in lansing I believe but not 100% sure on that.

I know it is only supposed to be for risk assessment but you never know. Just a little leary with all the animal flus going around, you never know what they will want to assess. Dr. Rose research has been more on Pathogens and disease through waterways and with a major canadian/US shipping lane though the Great Lakes down the Detroit river, I expect this to be the main focus.

join