It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Web Accelerator

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
As some of you may, or may not be aware of, Google has released (in Beta stages) it's version of a Web Accelerator.

In the "Learn More" section, it specifically states:

Sending your page requests through Google machines dedicated to handling Google Web Accelerator traffic.
Storing copies of frequently looked at pages to make them quickly accessible.
Downloading only the updates if a web page has changed slightly since you last viewed it.
Prefetching certain pages onto your computer in advance.
Managing your Internet connection to reduce delays.
Compressing data before sending it to your computer.

While this is a very nice service, and I am by no means complaining, I would simply like to discuss the fact that there is a possiblity for this to be used in a way that would compromise our privacy, as end users.

Since the requests run through dedicated Google machines, wouldn't it be logical to assume that Google can view what we see, and other information that passes through them (that perhaps the installer doesn't reveal)? Couldn't they also give us an altered website, to give us biased news?

As far as compressing the data is concerned, I think that they could use that as a means to send other files when we get the "compressed" ones?

Just a few thoughts to ponder, let me know what you think.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I'm not worried about this kind of stuff. Theres NSA backdoors into all windows systems anyways so I don't think they even need to use stuff like that to monitor us.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
The first day these came out I read that and put some thought to it. Google is pretty smart with this except how much will it catch on? I have it at home and never turn it on just cause I don't think of it. However it may have had a default so it signs on automaticly and I just changed it.

However the purpose is just like spyware except to lag time or require of working of your machine. Well thats what I speculate anyway. Since if I remember it the agreement or disclaimer it states we reserve the right to pretty much anything so it very well could be use the info/logs for that. I don't see it catching on though. Cause the mass of people like things that have some sort of realtime benefit or physical gain they can see like a program they would actually use in place of this which runs in the background. Don't get me wrong you gain from it but what you don't see it, and people that don't see don't want. If that makes any sense, kinda like someone would buy a name brand shirt versus something just for function. Simple minded ppl I guess I am trying to say. blah

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Hehe, I did an ATS search for this and didn't find anything, then I tried to start a thread about it and it said a thread with that name already exists, so here I am.

JBurns mentioned most of the things I was going to ask about. The only additional question I have is for those who have downloaded and tried this accelerator: has it made any difference in the speed of your websurfing?

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
Hehe, I did an ATS search for this and didn't find anything, then I tried to start a thread about it and it said a thread with that name already exists, so here I am.

JBurns mentioned most of the things I was going to ask about. The only additional question I have is for those who have downloaded and tried this accelerator: has it made any difference in the speed of your websurfing?

Yeah, I've used it for two days testing it out. (yes, google owns me =)
From what I could asertain, it didnt help my browsing at all. It said "Total Time Saved: 0.00001"

MoT

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a good thread!

certainly it opens quite a few ports (dont know which ones) but yea what doesnt when one is on the internet... but the thing is that i dont think that you need to have any of the google gadgets on your computer but simply that the IP adress uses google often and it could return with the words that are searched....

very interesting was a thread somewhere here about them teaming up NASA ??? why in hell !?...

aaand i dont think that you could get biased news or altered websites.. but hey maybe we all do... and if yes then all the time

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
If they are bored enough to watch my boring life.....I could care less......If they can hang sheetrock and want to paint.....the beer's on me

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by joepits
I'm not worried about this kind of stuff. Theres NSA backdoors into all windows systems anyways so I don't think they even need to use stuff like that to monitor us.

I'll do a search on that later, when time permits, but for now- could you point me in the direction of some info on this?

And, if the NSA does have backdoors, that doesn't necessarily mean a good log from Google wouldn't help, right? Say maybe you 'close' some of these doors? Seems the more ways they have in, the more reliable their methods would be.

Personally, I don't yet know what to think about it, but it is interesting (more from a tech pov on my part).

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Webbaccelerator, yeah.
Why should googles webbservers be faster than that other ISP?
Its still about sending html to the users browser.

It feels like another step against manufactured consuence.
I mean, they already got the filters (China)..

By the way, make a google (I+m Lucky) on the word "failure"..
Some of you might remember that the first page was a Bio over Bush (www.whitehouse.gov). It was some kind of prank from som employee (probably)...
If I make the same search now you end up at Michaelmoore.com

Something has changed at that google company.

new topics

top topics

join