It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU is to advise against eating raw eggs and poultry

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
This is just breaking news,

the EU is to advise against eating raw eggs and poultry in a bit to help stop the bird flu,

There saying this is just a precuation, and health ministers are saying they will release a advisory tomorrow,

ill try and get some links as soon as they come in

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I think is part of common sense taking in consideration that now a days everything we consume and the air we breath can be harmful to us.

I wonder what the bodybuilders will do now many of them eat raw eggs for maximum protein consumption.

I hope it doesn't extend to sushi I love raw fish in sushi specially eel and salmon.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I think the main problem about this will be for the farmers, surley this is going to effect there sales alot,

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I doubt it'll help at all... but hey! Let's look like we're doing SOMETHING!

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Well my household is a big consumer of poultry and poultry related items, so I cook a lot of chicken and If is something I would not eat is raw chicken or raw eggs.

It has to be something big like bird flu killing chickens all over form me to stop consuming poultry.

I hope we don't get a scare with Thanksgiving so close I am planning a big cooking and I need my turkey.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Sunuvvvabiotch! There go my plans for the "raw chicken products showcase" at my local foodcourt! I was hoping to whip up a batch of that traditional Vietnamese duck-blood pudding too..... bah!

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I use a lot of eggs in my cooking and a lot of chicken, as well. I always keep some frozen egg substitute in the freezer though, in case I run out of eggs. Might have to turn to that depending on how things go.

My main concern, because there are plenty of alternatives to eat, is my brother, who works with birds. He has a sanctuary, and feeds his owls and eagles dead chickens. He buys them bulk and brings them back to his place live and kills them himself by suffocating them. It's nasty business and the way he goes about it sure as hell isn't sanitary.... but when i talk to him about it it falls on deaf ears.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Well I grew up with chickens in the back yard and my father used to grab them by the neck and twist them until the neck will brake.

Sometimes he will just cut the neck off and then we would wait to see the chicken dancing without a head, that was nasty.

Now about your brother, I thought that the bird of prey eat mice and small animals.

Its not healthy to feed them death meat.

[edit on 25-10-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
They do... in the wild. But they're not in the wild. They do catch mice that run through their cages, but the chickens are just as healthy for them. They're thriving (as much as they can be for injured birds) on it. But he's not open to looking at alternatives... yet.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Well if the bird flu become an issue most pet shops will sell mice to feed snakes and other bird of prey.

Or he can raise his own batch of mice they multipy very fast you know, plus they eat fruits and vegetable and meat also.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Well if the bird flu become an issue most pet shops will sell mice to feed snakes and other bird of prey.

Or he can raise his own batch of mice they multipy very fast you know, plus they eat fruits and vegetable and meat also.

Thanks, marg. I suggested buying mice in large quantities, can't be much more expensive. I hadn't considered breeding them
Will pass that info along and see where it goes.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
hey parr - I'm worried about your bro too.
And that breeding mice idea does sound very good. Cheaper for him too, probably.

..I think chickens and eggs will be fine if they're well cooked - will keep doing it til I hear otherwise. Not too much survives cooking heat except prions y'know.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Isn't it an odd thought that in this day and age we have to advise people not to eat raw eggs? I mean we have had that trickle dickle stuff for a while haven't we? This is why I don't do the raw cookie dough maneuver. You can get bad ju-ju on you.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Isn't it an odd thought that in this day and age we have to advise people not to eat raw eggs? I mean we have had that trickle dickle stuff for a while haven't we? This is why I don't do the raw cookie dough maneuver. You can get bad ju-ju on you.

Ya, I thought so too. I remember my Mom used to drink raw egg in milk, and would then tell me not to touch, or eat raw egg.
Convincing, I say!

Whenever I make cake my daughter wants to try the mix.. I say no. Raw eggs = nasty. bad bad bad. And raw cookie dough?
I don't need avian flu to know that.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
hey parr - I'm worried about your bro too.
And that breeding mice idea does sound very good. Cheaper for him too, probably.

Ya, cheaper no doubt. They'd multiply like crazy. He'd probably get deermice though, then I'd have to warn him about Hanta virus.

What's the verdict on transmission through raw meat, though? Is the virus only in the feces and guts?

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Finally a link ...

Don't eat raw eggs, EU agency to advise

MILAN (Reuters) - The European Union's food safety agency will on Wednesday advise consumers to avoid raw eggs and poultry in order to prevent the spread of bird flu, an official at the watchdog said, confirming a newspaper report.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
They'd multiply like crazy. He'd probably get deermice though, then I'd have to warn him about Hanta virus.

and the Hanta would hybridize with the bird flu, ...

What's the verdict on transmission through raw meat, though? Is the virus only in the feces and guts?

The EU is saying there are no reports of transmission via meat - but that's BS. I found reports on PubMed a year ago - transmission through duck meat for sure, maybe chicken too. Cooking is key - well done. ...Just assume transmission occurs through any bodily fluid, and nuke it. IMO

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I remember the good ol' days when Mom gave my sister and me the little blender thingies to lick off.

Now I wash my hands if I get raw egg on them (my son gets scrambled eggs every morning because he loves them that much).

I wouldn't worry about eating poultry so long as it's cooked thoroughly.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
Ya, I thought so too. I remember my Mom used to drink raw egg in milk, and would then tell me not to touch, or eat raw egg.
Convincing, I say!

You know I remember my mother used ot make a drink with raw eggs and grape juice it was supposed to be good for the blood that is what she used to tell us, but it was very good actually.

And my father used to eat his eggs just a littler bit cook with Cuban bread I wonder if that is a no no also.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesiaMy main concern, because there are plenty of alternatives to eat, is my brother, who works with birds. He has a sanctuary, and feeds his owls and eagles dead chickens. He buys them bulk and brings them back to his place live and kills them himself by suffocating them.

That's a nice humane way of killing them.

Wouldn't cutting their heads off be quicker and even less trouble for him?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join