It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why be normal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
being normal, whats the point in trying
normal is average, who wants to be average, only the greatest people become higher than average, so is being average comdeming ourselves to being ungreat???

[edit on 25/10/05 by mik0001000]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
ahh now see heres the thing,

What defines normal? normal to you may be unnormal to many others,

I think you should strive to be you, and intern that will make you unique

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   
You tell me what normal is, and I'll tell you if I am. Deal?

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
kk for me normal is being like the majority of people around you, this can be achived by dressing to impress or look 'cool' to joining gang for what others think of you, its just totally wrong
and trying to be unique is also showing that you care what others think of you

i do strive to be what i want to be, i wear what i want to wear, i do what i want to do
you see?

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
You tell me what normal is, and I'll tell you if I am. Deal?

Main Entry: 1nor·mal
Pronunciation: 'nor-m&l
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin normalis, from norma

1 : PERPENDICULAR; especially : perpendicular to a tangent at a point of tangency

2 a : according with, constituting, or not deviating from a norm, rule, or principle b : conforming to a type, standard, or regular pattern

3 : occurring naturally

4 a : of, relating to, or characterized by average intelligence or development b : free from mental disorder : SANE

5 a of a solution : having a concentration of one gram equivalent of solute per liter b : containing neither basic hydroxyl nor acid hydrogen c : not associated d : having a straight-chain structure

6 of a subgroup : having the property that every coset produced by operating on the left by a given element is equal to the coset produced by operating on the right by the same element

7 : relating to, involving, or being a normal curve or normal distribution

8 of a matrix : having the property of commutativity under multiplication by the transpose of the matrix each of whose elements is a conjugate complex number with respect to the corresponding element of the given matrix

synonym see REGULAR
- nor·mal·i·ty /nor-'ma-l&-tE/ noun
- nor·mal·ly /'nor-m&-lE/ adverb

www.m-w.com...

One should always strive for excellence and in that way not being normal is a good thing. Most of the time our efforts, no matter how hard we try, will fall within a normal range, but if we are diligent, most of us can achieve performance outside the norm in some things. However, what is normal depends greatly on the population to which one is compared. If you can play "Yankee Doodle" with one finger on a piano, you are probably one of a very small percentage of human beings who can do so and therefore, you are above the norm, but among musicians, you would be decidedly below the norm in ability.

Which leads us to the other consideration. Being normal also means that we are above a good many people in our abilities and aptitudes and therefore we can take some pride in knowing that, even if we are among the herd, we are doing much better than many others.

In terms of normality, however, it is not so very important where we fall on a curve of performance, but that we have given our best to the task. I have an ability to balance almost anything on the tip of my finger. People are utterly amazed that I can do this and make an object, such as a dowel, appear to be suspended from an invisible string. When I was young and more robust, I would dazzle people by balancing anything from sledgehammers to barstools. This is not normal and furthermore it is utterly worthless, except to entertain. What is more, I didn't have to develop this ability. It is natural and while this ability amazes even me, I can really take no pride in it because I have never invested anything into it.

I work with people who are disabled and they are not normal either, but I am often moved almost to tears when I see them give so much to accomplish tasks that most of us take for granted, having mastered them so long ago that we can't remember having to struggle with them ourselves. Furthermore, I am often astounded at some of the extraordinary things that otherwise subnormal people achieve with little or no effort or who through extraordinary effort achieve tasks that would make them stand out in any crowd.

And that is the point. Even the most extraordinary people are quite ordinary in most of the things they do. Some of us are blessed with gifts that go well beyond the ordinary, while others must sweat and sacrifice to achieve the extraordinary.

Whom do I respect the most? The one who strives to excel. It is in our nature to cheer for and admire the winners, but in the process we should never forget to appreciate those who continue to give their all to things they love and never ever stand out in the crowd and never receive the glory. These are the truly dedicated. These are the normal.

[edit on 2005/10/25 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Grady, that has to be one of the best posts--hell, some of the best writing--I've read in a very long time.

You have voted GradyPhilpott for the Way Above Top Secret award.

EDIT: Figured I'd throw my two cents in as well

Although I can't follow that act, I personally think being "socially" normal is a good thing--not necessarily conforming, being just like everyone else, but just being able to function around a group of people. Ability wise, I personally try to be as above normal as possible in everything I try and do; whether I succeed or not is an entirely different story...

[edit on 10/25/2005 by MCory1]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Thanks, MCory1. You can't go wrong by flattering the masses.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
lol. Ever wish you never hit post on that flippant comment? While there are many things that can be thought of as being normal, for example, a product from an assembly line, a toaster, a car, whatever, I believe it is straight up wrong to apply this principle to people. That's the short answer. I only signed up a few days ago, and I'm making myself look an ass already, but this is all just one guys take on things, normal or otherwise.

I get annoyed. Life does it to me, I find it east to negate large swathes of the Earths population with one ill judged comment, and while it may make me feel better about myself, it doesn't follow that it is correct.

Originally posted by mik0001000
kk for me normal is being like the majority of people around you, this can be achived by dressing to impress or look 'cool' to joining gang for what others think of you, its just totally wrong
and trying to be unique is also showing that you care what others think of you

i do strive to be what i want to be, i wear what i want to wear, i do what i want to do
you see?

This may not be correct, but I suspect it is quite normal.

Also, I agree with MCory1, GradyPhilpott's post is top notch.

[edit on 25-10-2005 by Implosion]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
It seems that, generally speaking, being normal is a bad thing for some reason. I guess it's because it's generally associated with not being yourself, with trying to be like everyone else. So for the most part, it seems most people want to "be themselves", and try to not be normal.

If normal means to be like others in a similar situation, and everyone else is trying to not be normal, then does you trying to not be normal make you normal? If you're wanting to not be normal, then shouldn't you try to be normal?

"Always remember: you're unique. Just like everyone else"
(I have no idea who said that originally...)

top topics

join