It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Report: Cheney Told Top Aide (Libby) About Exposed CIA Officer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   
A report by the The New York Times has stated that Vice President Dick Cheney informed his Chief of Staff, Lewis Libby, that Joseph Wilson's wife worked for the CIA. Joseph Wilson had authored an article criticizing the Bush administration for twisting the facts of Iraq's alleged nuclear weapons programme to justify invasion. Libby had previously told a Grand Jury he first learned of Valerie Plames connection to the CIA from reporters.

news.y ahoo.com
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff first learned about the CIA officer at the center of a leak investigation in a conversation with Cheney weeks before her identity became public in July 2003, The New York Times reported on Monday.

Notes of the conversation between chief of staff Lewis Libby and Cheney on June 12, 2003, put a spotlight on the vice president's possible role in the leak. The account also appears to run counter to Libby's testimony to a federal grand jury that he first learned about the CIA officer, Valerie Plame, from reporters.

Patrick Fitzgerald, the federal prosecutor investigating the leak of Plame's identity, is said by lawyers involved in the case to be considering bringing charges against Libby for making false statements and possibly obstruction of justice.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This topic just gets more and more intricate as the days go by. Now we have Dick Cheney named as the initial leaking of classified information that resulted in a CIA officers public outing. I cant see Dick getting indicted over this but Libby and Rove will definitely be thrown to the dogs on this one.

Will this leave Libby with a motive to spill the beans on his mentor and boss? Lets hope so!

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I really hope the Times has hard evidence to back up that article, otherwise they will be boiled in oil.

Now, assuming the report is true, Libby is likely history unless he was smart enough to get Rove to leak the info to the public, or found some other way to get the info out without attribution to him. Of course the VP could have leaked the info himself, but that isn't very likely.

[edit on 25-10-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Here's the link to the NYTime's article:
Cheney Told Aide of C.I.A. Officer, Notes Show

Raw Story has an article up too:
Vice President's role in outing of CIA agent under examination, sources close to prosecutor say

Transcript for Sunday, September 14, 2003
GUEST: Dick Cheney, vice president Tim Russert, moderator

MR. RUSSERT: Now, Ambassador Joe Wilson, a year before that, was sent over by the CIA because you raised the question about uranium from Africa. He says he came back from Niger and said that, in fact, he could not find any documentation that, in fact, Niger had sent uranium to Iraq or engaged in that activity and reported it back to the proper channels. Were you briefed on his findings in February, March of 2002?

VICE PRES. CHENEY: No. I don't know Joe Wilson. I've never met Joe Wilson. A question had arisen. I'd heard a report that the Iraqis had been trying to acquire uranium in Africa, Niger in particular. I get a daily brief on my own each day before I meet with the president to go through the intel. And I ask lots of question. One of the questions I asked at that particular time about this, I said, "What do we know about this?" They take the question. He came back within a day or two and said, "This is all we know. There's a lot we don't know," end of statement. And Joe Wilson--I don't who sent Joe Wilson. He never submitted a report that I ever saw when he came back.

VICE PRES. CHENEY:I guess the intriguing thing, Tim, on the whole thing, this question of whether or not the Iraqis were trying to acquire uranium in Africa. In the British report, this week, the Committee of the British Parliament, which just spent 90 days investigating all of this, revalidated their British claim that Saddam was, in fact, trying to acquire uranium in Africa. What was in the State of the Union speech and what was in the original British White papers. So there may be difference of opinion there. I don't know what the truth is on the ground with respect to that, but I guess--like I say, I don't know Mr. Wilson. I probably shouldn't judge him. I have no idea who hired him and it never came...

MR. RUSSERT: The CIA did.

VICE PRES. CHENEY: Who in the CIA, I don't know.

Cheney testified under oath? Fitzy should nail him for perjury if the NYT's article is accurate.

Cheney Reportedly Interviewed in Leak of C.I.A. Officer's Name NYT June 5, 2004

This reminds me when Cheney said he didn't know John Edwards even though he sat next to him at a prayer breakfast. Makes you wonder why Tenet left too.

[edit on 25-10-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
As far as Neo-Cons go Cheney is one of the worst. He was a main contributer to the PNAC manifesto that the present administration is acting on. Strangely enough one of their hero's is Theodore Roosevelt. Roosevelt said
" Warlike intervention by civilized powers would contribute directly to the peace of the world."

Tom Barry lays it all out in his article " PNAC'S Present Dangers AS Blueprint for Bush Doctrine" at www.fpif.org..."

How war creates peace is beyond me. It's directly out of 1984 and Cheney is leading the parade.

[edit on 25-10-2005 by polanksi]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by polanksi
" Warlike intervention by civilized powers would contribute directly to the peace of the world."

How war creates peace is beyond me.

[edit on 25-10-2005 by polanksi]

You are kidding right? War most certainly can bring about peace, but it can also bring about more war. That is what PNAC, and their ilk, want. Trotsky would be so proud. Ick

Ox

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Everybody acts so surprised when they find out that Bush or Cheney lied about something.. Ohhh Noo.. Our corrupt president and his vice are liars..

HELLO!!!

1. They're Politicians
2. They're Corrupt buggers
3. They're WAR MONGERS!
4. They're Politicians
5. Everything they are doing is for their own benefit, they care not for this country, it's people or the rest of the world as long as their greed grows and their little dirty hands dont get caught in the cookie jar, so to speak.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer68

I really hope the Times has hard evidence to back up that article, otherwise they will be boiled in oil.

Tarred, feathered, THEN boiled in oil.

From the NYTs article:

WASHINGTON, Oct. 25 - I. Lewis Libby Jr., Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, first learned about the C.I.A. officer at the heart of the leak investigation in a conversation with Mr. Cheney weeks before her identity became public in 2003, lawyers involved in the case said Monday.

"...lawyers involved in the case said Monday."

The only lawyers involved with DIRECT knowledge of this would be ones on the prosecutors staff or a lawyer who has seen the notes himself.

Now who's leaking? The prosecutors are sworn to court secrecy. Who else has seen these notes?

The tar and feathering of the prosecutor's staff has already started on Faux News. Probably hoping that the Times' writers get their own day in court--or jail, a la Ms. Miller?

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher

This reminds me when Cheney said he didn't know John Edwards even though he sat next to him at a prayer breakfast. Makes you wonder why Tenet left too.

Reminds me of when Jr. said he didn't know much about Chalabi:

Q Thank you, Mr. President. Mr. Chalabi is an Iraqi leader that's fallen out of favor within your administration. I'm wondering if you feel that he provided any false information, or are you particularly --

THE PRESIDENT: Chalabi?

Q Yes, with Chalabi.

THE PRESIDENT: My meetings with him were very brief. I mean, I think I met with him at the State of the Union and just kind of working through the rope line, and he might have come with a group of leaders. But I haven't had any extensive conversations with him.

Mr. Brahimi made the decision on Chalabi, not the United States. Mr. Brahimi was the person that put together the group. And I haven't spoken to him or anybody on the ground as to why Chalabi wasn't taken.

In terms of information --

Q I guess I'm asking, do you feel like he misled your administration, in terms of what the expectations were going to be going into Iraq?

THE PRESIDENT: I don't remember anybody walking into my office saying, Chalabi says this is the way it's going to be in Iraq.

White House, June 1, 2004

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
If tyou have ben following the Plame case at all, you would knwo the lawyers usually provide information about a week or so after it is given in the courts, so the information that Libby got the info from Cheany is at least a week old. The whole idea is they can soften its impact by delaying the info, and then they can push it aside by saying "It is old news"

Cheany has been caught lying on video so many times I don't know why anyone would belive a single thing that came out of his mouth. Like the time during the Debates, cheany said "I never have seen, or met john Edwards" and a few days later there is a Video of Dick and John at a dinner function together several years before. Or how about "Their is no doubt, no doubt, that there are WMD in Iraq, and we will find them"

Tho I am quite suprised that Libby wasn't force to bite the bullet on this issue, and take one for the team. So now Cheany has to reveal how he got the information.

Sadly this is probly going ot leave Rove out of the loop, I think they figured Rove is more valuble then Cheany

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Ox you hit the nail on the head. The secret is to make us think that they are doing everything for us, while they manipulate behind the scenes to enrich themselves. Michael Ruppert outlines it all in Crossing The Rubicon. That book has it all, the wars, the weapons, the drugs, the connections to al-Queda, PROMIS software that they stole. It all stinks for all their presumed piety not 1 of them is an honest man.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Plame's husband started this whole thing.

He went around holding press conferences, and wrote and article, saying that he was "sent by the CIA" to Nigeria to look into Iraqi aquisition of yellowcake.

Originally, what Cheney DID say publicly, apparently (from reading Newsweek, no less) is along the lines of "He never worked for the CIA. Let him show how the CIA sent him. If you do, you find that somebody from the CIA went on that trip to Nigeria."

If the guy was worried about his wife's future secrecy, why was he holding press conferences and writing articles in the NYT and Washpost? If she has a beef, it seems like it would be with her husband. After all, he was only sent to Nigeria after she suggested his name to top brass.

top topics

join