It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get Your Morning Cup of Coffee with a Spiritual Message!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Next spring, Starbucks will start serving your coffee in cups that contain spiritual quotes from the best selling author Rev. Rick Warren's book "Purpose-Driven Life". This will be the first time that Starbucks quote campaign "The Way I See It".
Although none of the quotes will be "overtly " they are already getting alot of heat on this. Last month Baylor University pulled Starbucks cups after a quote from Armistead Maupin "life is too short" to hide being gay. was on a cup.

Note, Starbucks is not the only to have Christianity slogans in their wrappings. Most of the companies that do are ownered by beleivers.
Here is a list of a few companies that have religious slogans on thier packaging:
In-N-Out Burger a California based burger chain
Forever 21 and XXI
Hobby Lobby
Starbucks stirs things up with a God quote on cups

I can just hear the public outcry over this! How dare they force people to have to read spiritual quotes while drinking their coffee in the morning! Next, thing you know, they will make you quote the bible in order to get your coffee!

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I wish there had been someone around when I was a teenager to say things like "It's OK to be gay" and "Life's too short to hide it" - but there wasn't. I grew up Southern Baptist and went to a private "Christian" school (although we never had to read or discuss the Bible at school), never even knowing there were other people that felt like me - disgusted at the thought of being with a girl and too afraid to admit (even to myself) that I was attracted to boys. I'd never even heard of "homosexuals" or "gays" till I was at least a senior in highschool, and when I did, the context I heard them in sure as hell didn't make me want to identify as one. I'd heard "faggot" before, but didn't know it meant homosexual, I just knew it was an insult that more or less meant "sissy."

As one of those "evil" queers
, I have no problem with seeing a bible verse printed somewhere - it doesn't offend me, I was raised Southern Baptist, and in a VERY religious family - and never once was I told that I was gonna burn in hell for who I was - it just didn't come up back then. I only remember being told to be a good person and think of (and do unto) others as I would have them think of (and do unto) me. With all the controversy about it now, I really feel sorry for teenagers and young adults that 'know' what they are, but are way to afraid to admit it because so many people these days are making such a big deal about it.

What really steams my clams is how all these religious organizations that are against homosexuality see it as 'evil' that some people say being gay is "OK", think books/quotes that say it's OK should be 'banned' from public view, and act like we are out to "get-'em" and convert them to our "sinful ways" -- But then cry "religious persecution" when they try to promote their view and someone says "don't push it on me" or that their point of view has no place in public either.

They don't want kids to know anything about sex or homosexuality untill their wedding night, but they're the ones making such a big stink about it, making it such an issue that now EVERYONE knows about it much earlier than they would if they'd just let people be. (I'd hate to have to explain to a 3rd grader what 'gays' are, because they saw some church group protesting gays - when they shouldn't even know about any of that 'sex' stuff 'till they're in their teens.)

I have no problem tolerating "Jesus saves" or any inspirational Bible verses - just as those anti-gay groups should have no problem tolerating 'tolerance' for gays. If they believe they are right, then guess what - they don't 'have' to be gay!
(what a revelation
)

I however, believe that I am right, in that I don't think being gay is my one way ticket to hell. If someone doesn't agree with me, no skin off my back.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Of course there's nothing wrong with Starbucks putting anything they want on cups, but Rick Warren's Purpose Driven Movement is just the stealth arm of the Republican effort to co-opt religion for political purposes. Seems like Starbuck's would know better since they officially have a liberal philosophy toward social equality and the environment alike. Both Warren's enemy.

What sort of leadership might Warren provide? He disassociates himself from the religious right, noting that he shares its position on social issues but doesn't want to focus on them.

No he wants you to focus on them in your new purpose driven life.

His little books have been used as the foundation for small discussion group 'gatherings' all over the country as orchestrated by political Internet activists with one goal: Convert your co-workers and neighbors to vote Bush.

He's the anti-evangelical. Plant the seed, but let evil be your idea.

Warren's desire to avoid discussions of issues like abortion, stem cell research and gay rights seems genuine, and is obviously wise.

Because he can't be criticized. People that say absolutely nothing never can be. But the idea that there's a movement of people getting together for nothing more than to discuss their special purpose is absurd. It's to recruit people into the cult of Warren. Which like all cults, lead back to the Republican Party.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
If Starbucks wants to worship a "cow" or state "God is Dead". That’s their business.

Its called freedom of expression. And Corporate’s as well as citizens have this right.

No story here except Anti-religious bigotry in a public sector. Over some "Coffee fortune cookie".

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by msnevil
No story here except Anti-religious bigotry in a public sector.

On who's part? Not Starbuck's. Not anyone in this thread.

"Of course there's nothing wrong with Starbucks putting anything they want on cups"

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
That is forcing of people into one side of the story.
Mainstream though, so bad choice for the company, can't wait to those who lead the project got fired over this!!
Just wait and see.
I am sure you won't be so on thir side if they quote quoran instead (spelling) well the muslim bible surogat.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Personally, IMHO, anyone that pays upwards and over $4 for a cup of coffee, needs a spiritual message, or a knock upside the head.

Probably the same people whining and crying over gas prices, eh?
Spiritual message, indeed.

seekerof

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
is it ok for starbucks to put it on there?...yeah sure.
is it ok for rick warren to make a deal with them?...yea its called capitalism.
even though i am a christian i never thought that guy held much clout if you know what i mean. he kinda talks more about himself than God in the interviews that i have seen...but thats another story.

as far as whether there is some big political conspiracy...i know ALOT of republicans that arent christian..at all. not based on my judgement of them or anything, but because they say they arent one. so i think that theory is because people are a bit bitter at the president right now. Just because the man claims to be religious doesnt me EVERY single religious thing that happens in this country has to do directly with some agenda he has. yes there have been some, but i think this is strictly rick warrens deal. and frankly he i think he is selling out. but again, he has the right to do that

Kind Regards,
DigitalGrl

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
"I can just hear the public outcry over this! How dare they force people to have to read spiritual quotes while drinking their coffee in the morning! Next, thing you know, they will make you quote the bible in order to get your coffee!"

Yes- There is bigotry alive and well on Mother Earth. While The above post might be in Jest. The above post is a good generalization of the Anti-religious movement in America. (ie Making a mountain out of a mole hill.)

Think "Gay boy scouts" and forcing Kids to state "God" in thier oath. (exp. of a anti-religious bigot Rant.)

Originally posted by RANT

Originally posted by msnevil
No story here except Anti-religious bigotry in a public sector.

On who's part? Not Starbuck's. Not anyone in this thread.

"Of course there's nothing wrong with Starbucks putting anything they want on cups"

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Personally, IMHO, anyone that pays upwards and over $4 for a cup of coffee, needs a spiritual message, or a knock upside the head.

seekerof

Well I guess I am one of those, but rest assure I get mine most of the time for free specially the 20 ounces one.

And for the Christian quotes they do not bother me a bit, I find such pleasure in a cup of their Toffee nut latte or the seasonal Pumpkin spice that is borders on sinful thoughts so the preaching doesn't make my day. . . just the pleasure.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   
yea, i dont have a problem with the christian quotes either. i think it comes down to where the money is going. if he is making all this money from the deal to go to a charity more power to him i guess. if he is just banking on this deal by making the bibilical scripture a propaganda tool, then i say he is just a man who made another self help book in the line of many, who sold out. thats my christian perspective i suppose. not that people arent allowed to make money...you just should have to sell scripture to do it. i suppose there could be a lot of arguments as to what is selling scripture and what isnt. but like i said, ive seen this guy on tv and i have read the book.....my mom has it...and it is really is like a cheesy version of the bible. if your happy and you know it clap your hands..*clap clap*. seriously one wouldnt even have to be a biblical scholar to write what he wrote. but if his intentions are good, more power to him. i guess i just dont think that people should have to be baited to see truth, or have it represented like "ooo everyone drinks starbucks, and look starbucks likes the bible, that means everyone should read the bible too!" i think its making a mockery of it in a way. if that makes sense.

i think we should just do it the old fashioned way. spread the word through how we live, just by being decent and respectful people that practice what we preach. that will do alot more that stamping "for God so loved the world" on the bottom of a plastic coffee cup ya know? and if im not mistaken that is the main issue people who arent christian or those who are christian have with this whole thing. it seems kinda hypocritical.

Kind Regards,
DigitalGrl

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Quite a world we live in when you need to be told what to do on a coffee cup.

Caution ! Hot !

No Shirt !

(of course I didnt mean shirt stupid)

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
so true dulcimer.

oh and one of my favorites...

"item not edible...do not ingest!"

i saw that on a box of firecrackers this 4th of july

now that is sad

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by DigitalGrl

"item not edible...do not ingest!"

i saw that on a box of firecrackers this 4th of july

Now THAT is funny.

But sadly if you are dumb enough to eat the fireworks, chances are you wont be able to read the strange markings on the packaging.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Where is the conspiracy?
Owner of coffee shop puts verses on cups.

Hmmm? Is it those darned right wing Illuminati Mafia FBI agents using MK-ULTRA to make the coffee shop owner do this?
They are making people buy the coffee against their will! That's it!

BTS bound! N oconspiracy, except for this is the third non-conspiratorial thread tonight. Something in the wind?

[edit on 21-10-2005 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 01:33 AM
link   
people are mad! in both ways pissed and crazy!

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 01:54 AM
link   
What's the issue here? Starbucks is a private company, and the franchises are privately owned. Although it's stupid from a business perspective to push political or religious agendas (IMHO), they can do what they want in that regard, and anyone who doesn't like it is not compelled to do business with them.

I went to a Whataburger the other day and sat down to eat. While I was eating, I noticed a sign on the window that said "One Nation, under God". Okay, fine. You are free to push your religio-political agenda, and I am free to never step foot in your establishment again.

They get to feel like their silly little sign makes a difference of some kind (or parhaps increases business in a mostly conservative area), while I get to feel like I'm making a statement by boycotting them from another penny of my business.

We're both better off as a result! Thor I love free enterprise.

new topics

top topics

join