It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bird Flu Confirmed in Greece

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Very hot news, I'm talking less then an hour since it was released to the news.

Bird Flu found in Greece

Snippet:

(CBS/AP) Authorities in Greece confirmed the country's first case of bird flu Monday, the first in the European Union, on a turkey farm on the Aegean Sea island of Oinouses, near the Turkish coast.

Agriculture Minister Evangelos Basiakos said the H5 virus had been detected in one of nine turkeys tested on Oinouses.

Preliminary tests have identified bird flu and narrowed down the virus to the H5 type, but more rigorous testing is being conducted to determine whether it is the deadly H5N1 strain that scientists are tracking for fear it could mutate and spawn a lethal human flu pandemic capable of killing millions.

According to Basiakos, the owner of a small turkey farm with 20 birds informed the local veterinary service about "the presence of strange symptoms and losses among the turkeys."

[edit on 17-10-2005 by Toxic Fox]

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Something Weird !!!

After testing and discovering the first positive H5N1 sample for Greece , the samples were to sent in London for further testing BUT ....in the way a sample were lost !!!

[edit on 18-10-2005 by scout]

TPL

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Do you have a link?

If true who do you thinks got them now?

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Oh no! Im going to Greece in like 2 weeks! Is this going to evolve into some sort of 'Resident Evil/28 day later' situation? What happens when my beloved Ireland gets infected??? By the way it started in China right, and now its spreading west across Europe so is it spreading east towards Australia too? Because I think thats an ocean so we should aim missiles at the birds while there migrating!

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toxic Fox
Very hot news, I'm talking less then an hour since it was released to the news.

Bird Flu found in Greece

Snippet:

(CBS/AP) Authorities in Greece confirmed the country's first case of bird flu Monday, the first in the European Union, on a turkey farm on the Aegean Sea island of Oinouses, near the Turkish coast.

Agriculture Minister Evangelos Basiakos said the H5 virus had been detected in one of nine turkeys tested on Oinouses.

Preliminary tests have identified bird flu and narrowed down the virus to the H5 type, but more rigorous testing is being conducted to determine whether it is the deadly H5N1 strain that scientists are tracking for fear it could mutate and spawn a lethal human flu pandemic capable of killing millions.

According to Basiakos, the owner of a small turkey farm with 20 birds informed the local veterinary service about "the presence of strange symptoms and losses among the turkeys."

[edit on 17-10-2005 by Toxic Fox]

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I wonder if the world is keeping this brid flu secret from the world for us not to panic?.it seems like we are in the dark over this.any new news please post..thanks guys

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
After many months, nothing yet in Greece, but i think its a matter of time, for all Europe cause Turkey is near.....
And the worse thing is that H5N1 has changed.....and become more dangerus.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   
This sure is spreading fast.. But one would expect it though.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   
When H5N1 hits the U.S. livestock of various consumed birds, watch the fireworks fly. People are going to go crazy and many will stop eating chicken and turkey, you can count on that (even though if properly cooked, the H5N1 virus cannot survive in the animal itself).

I had one of my finance profs even suggest that we invest in certain cattle and fish stock. Because when people stop eating chicken, they will substitute that with either beef or fish, mainly.... Makes sense... I guess..

We still have to wait and see how the final mutated human to human form is, before we can tell how serious of a threat this is to the human race.

Cayoo

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   
You've never been to an American chicken farm, I take it. There is a greater risk of me getting frostbite in Alabama during the summer than bird flu spreading through the chicken houses.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
You've never been to an American chicken farm, I take it. There is a greater risk of me getting frostbite in Alabama during the summer than bird flu spreading through the chicken houses.

Thomas,

I have read several sources that all believe the bird flu strain H5N1 would eventually arive to North America. Many believe this will happen by or during this comming summer.

I have never been to a chicken farm. But I have read expert opinion on this virus. They believe it will reach the U.S.

Also, it doesn't take wide spread infection to induce public fear. All it takes is a few reported cases for the public to get scared enough to limit their "bird" consumption.

Cayoo

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Yes, I have read the opinion of many experts as well. I have also been to chicken houses and know a few folks who chase the dollar raising chickens. Personally, I would rather look for gold at the end of a rainbow, but that is beside the point. The point is that nothing comes in contact with the birds. No wild bird, nothing, comes in contact with them.

Our poultry is safe. This will be made known if it becomes a public worry. Remember, you heard it from me first.

BTW, I have also read "expert opinion" that indicates the bird flu is not a great threat to North America. Me? I am an expert reader, is all.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Fear.... it's all about fear..... instill enough fear and you can get anyone to do anything you want.

Pitty our culture has come to this.....

For me.... I'll be taking my vitamins and getting plenty of rest, water and exercise and eating all the chicken I can buy!

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Yes, I have read the opinion of many experts as well. I have also been to chicken houses and know a few folks who chase the dollar raising chickens. Personally, I would rather look for gold at the end of a rainbow, but that is beside the point. The point is that nothing comes in contact with the birds. No wild bird, nothing, comes in contact with them.

Our poultry is safe. This will be made known if it becomes a public worry. Remember, you heard it from me first.

BTW, I have also read "expert opinion" that indicates the bird flu is not a great threat to North America. Me? I am an expert reader, is all.

Thomas,

I have read every "significant" publication I could get my hands on about this topic. I have never once come accross a piece of information about H5N1 which said that North America is not at risk. In fact, like I said previously, manny of my readings have said the opposite: that the current form of the flu will hit the U.S. livestock.

If you don't mind me asking: Could you provide a link? I clearly haven't seen these readings you're talking about and I'm really interested in hearing this "other side of the coin".

Thank you,

Cayoo

[edit on 16-1-2006 by Cayoo]

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
No, I can't say that I can. I don't bookmark much anymore as I have so much crap bookmarked that I can never find a darned thing when I want to, anyway. Sorry about that, I wish I could.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 10:15 PM
link   

No, I can't say that I can. I don't bookmark much anymore as I have so much crap bookmarked that I can never find a darned thing when I want to, anyway. Sorry about that, I wish I could.

That sucks... It would have been great to read a new opinion on this matter like the one you raised... Oh well..

If I come accross anything like this in any new infor I find, I'll make sure to post it in this thread or atleast in a new thread on the boards.

In any event, I hope the information you speak of is correct, because I feel a lot better knowing this thing isn't in N.A. and would feel even better if I knew it should never get here at all.... To bad many dissagree with this. But it wouldn't be the first time the popular theory turns out to be wrong if in fact it doesn't become a problem here.

Thanks anyway,

Cayoo

Edit: P.S. if you ever do come accross this infor again, please send it my way. It would be greatly appreciative. Thx.

[edit on 16-1-2006 by Cayoo]

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
...*dies*

I KNEW it.

!@#$ God I'm wishing we could cuss on this board right about now. I worried enough when I heard about that stupid quake but FARKING BIRD FLU! I think I'm going to die......

*dies*...again...

If this is all just propaganda created to spread fear, its starting to work on me right about...NOW.

--Kit.

Edited because Kit was using unlady-like language. Please, Kit. Don't use His name like that!

[edit on 16-1-2006 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Just so everyone knows this is not a follow-on result of the Turkey situation...

posted on 10/17/2005

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Oh geez, its been a few months. Thanks Gools, that removes a lot of the initial panic. *breathes*

Well there's a bit less cause for panic in general now, its been a few months and so far the virus hasn't mutated, right?

--Kit.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Just learned that it maybe in the food chain, u know cat eats the bird.. and so on..... very very difficult...also that it can remain in birds #, for at list 2 days

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join