It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Best Way To Make Chicken Noodle Soup??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Ok I got about 10 lbs of chicken legs and 1 whole chicken thats about 5 pounds in my fridge.. I was support to grill but that didn't work out right.. Anyway.. I need to know how to make homemade chicken broth for chicken soup..

I figure I need chicken which I have plenty of.
veggies (Potatoes, carrots, celery, onions.)
noodles (this part how long before I add the noodles.)

after this I am lost..

I would get lazy and buy the broth but i wanna try this homemade as much as possible.. So any hints on the broth would be cool.. I tried making pork stew and it didn't taste right.. the broth tasted like oil. And if you tell me to add beer, I already know that and have done it with many other dishes.

Anyway any help would be good.

Thanx.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Check this out:

www.foodnetwork.com...

I've used this recipe myself, and it turned out quite well

[edit on 17-10-2005 by negativenihil]

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
Ok I got about 10 lbs of chicken legs and 1 whole chicken thats about 5 pounds in my fridge.. I was support to grill but that didn't work out right.. Anyway.. I need to know how to make homemade chicken broth for chicken soup..

I figure I need chicken which I have plenty of.
veggies (Potatoes, carrots, celery, onions.)
noodles (this part how long before I add the noodles.)

after this I am lost..

I would get lazy and buy the broth but i wanna try this homemade as much as possible.. So any hints on the broth would be cool.. I tried making pork stew and it didn't taste right.. the broth tasted like oil. And if you tell me to add beer, I already know that and have done it with many other dishes.

Anyway any help would be good.

Thanx.

Hi there

no potatoes, they ruin the consistency of a good chicken soup.

Pop chopped carrots, celery (including leaves) and onions into a huge boiler along with all the chicken including the chicken frames and bones. Bring to boil then lower heat to simmer. Add stock to flavour. I use Vegeta (google it, its great) but you can use any chicken stock powder or liquid.

simmer slowly for around two hours or more, i do mine really low and cook for about four hours. its not ready till the bones almost fall apart.

Here is the important bit.

remove from heat and refridgerate overnight. A few hours is all needed but overnight is better. This allows the flavours to really come out in the broth.....also allows the oil and broth to separate so you wont get greasy soup. When you take it out skim all the thick coagulated fat off the top. It may have a jelly like consistency at this point. then reheat broth gently until its hot and runny and remove from heat. Strain the veges and chicken out leaving just the clear broth.

Return broth to heat and add some parsley
when it boils add the pasta. Simmer until pasta is cooked then serve with crusty bread

[edit on 17-10-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Take a large stock pot and throw in the chicken legs
Fill with cold water and wash chicken, repeat and drain.
Fill with hot water, enough to submerge all the chicken.

Add
1-2 Tblsp. of poultry seasoning
1-2 tsp. salt
1 tsp white pepper
1 white onion chopped

Cover and bring to rapid boil, reduce heat and simmer for about an hour and a half. Remove from heat, take out the chicken and let cool.

The liquid in the stock pot should be filtered through a cloth and put in the fridge to cool completely. The fat will solidify on top for easy removal.

Skin your chicken legs and give the skin to the cats (dog if necessary)
Remove all the bones and chop up the meat.

This is the base for chicken soup, from here you can reheat your stock and add veggies, rice, potatoes or whatever you want.
If you put egg noodles in your soup, do that last. They cook very fast.
I like to thicken my soup with some instant potato flakes or some corn starch to give it a nicer consistancy.

I freeze my soup in single serving containers and it turns out great.
Hope this helps, if you have any questions, just ask.......

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Let us know how the chicken soup goes, and if we helped at all.
I made a batch tonight, and it came out really good. I did notice people putting in more salt, but that's something you can add but never take out.

I think I'll start a thread on crackers, they didn't turn out so well. :shk:

EDIT TO ADD:
I did, and here it is:
www.belowtopsecret.com...
Please reply if you've ever made crackers, I need the help.................

[edit on 17/10/2005 by anxietydisorder]

[edit on 17/10/2005 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I was wondering, is chicken stock and chicken broth the same thing?

If not let me know what the difference is on the both of them.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Chicken stock is the concentrated form of boiling down chickens and veges to produce a flavoursome taste to food. Stock can be used for all manner of things, flavouring stews, soup or broth bases and many other meals

Broth can be made either just with chicken stock, with both chicken stock and boiling chickens or just by plain old boiling chickens and veges.

A broth made with just chicken stock wont taste as nice as broth made from chickens and stock.

and a broth made with just boiled down chickens and veges once again is not full enough flavour for broth.

True stock is made from repeated times of boiling down of "stock" ei chickens and veges or for beef stocks, slabs of beef, bones and veges. Sometimes by boiling down the "stock" three or four times..

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
Let us know how the chicken soup goes, and if we helped at all.

Yes I read both recipies you guys put up..

I made it withut potatoes like the one said and no inions.

I cooked the chicken untill it was all cooked about 6 hrs. Deboned it, then put the veggies in. unstead of cooking it I let it sit in the fridge cause when i did all that it was 6am.. anyway I got up the next day and added it on the stove..

I took a nap at some point in the day, however my g/f added the noodles and when I woke up there was very lil broth..

All and all it turned out pretty good. I am wondering how i can add some broth to it without making it taste like crap.

[edit on 10/23/2005 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I boil chicken quite often to make chicken salad sandwiches or for using in salads and stuff like that, so I always freeze the leftover broth for just such a case. You just pull one out of the freezer and warm it up before adding it to your soup.

Frozen broth can also be used for making a gravy when you need one or for making a quick veggie and rice soup when you have some stuff in the fridge you need to use up.

Glad to hear yours turned out OK.............

posted on Jul, 13 2019 @ 05:28 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 13 2019 @ 05:30 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 9 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 07:06 AM
link   

top topics

join