It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

horseshoe crabs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
These strange looking critters i thought they where pretty small, never really known much about them except that they lived when the dinosaurs still lived.. but came across this photo of a huge specimen. Is this a real photo or is it photoshopped

Also are these relatives to the horeshoe crab ?
And any of these found alive anywhere ?
www.vsb.cz...

found the image here with some other interessting images:
www.99express.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
This is a good thread about the picture you posted. Also, there are some excellent links in it about "living" trilobites. Just for reference:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I used to see horseshoe crabs all the time when I was a kid. They were all pretty much the same size, Ive never seen one bigger than around a foot or two front to back.

These are the things that are supposedly related to the trilobites...

[edit on 10-16-2005 by William One Sac]

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
i'm completely creeped out now and will have nightmares for days. all those legs!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
That's a definite photoshop. I've seen it posted here and there around the net.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   
has previously been discussed here...

personally i believe that it may not be photoshopped at all. nothing surprises me. anyone have any convincing reason as to why the horseshoe crab in a fairly controlled environment couldnt grow that large?

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
i keep reading this post because i want to see if these things are real photos or not. but everytime i have to close my eyes and scroll down because the creepy many legged creature freaks me out.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by justdj
has previously been discussed here...

personally i believe that it may not be photoshopped at all. nothing surprises me. anyone have any convincing reason as to why the horseshoe crab in a fairly controlled environment couldnt grow that large?

It looks huge from the 60 cm ones wich is the biggest they found earlier.. but does not lobsters continue to grow as long as they live ? Maybe these do that too. Got a picture in a book of a record american lobster from 1977 wich weighed 20.13 kg this specimen must be huge compared to normal lobsters.. like this horse shoe crab to the ones normally found.. if its a real photo.

Didn't really think of trilobites at all when i saw this other piture, was more thinking chinese gigant shrimps or something.. was late and kind of tired also. But thought it possible of living trilobites since the horseshoe crab and the nautilus are still alive

Thanks for the links

[edit on 17-10-2005 by SilverSurfer]

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Currently, there are no techniques to determine a lobster's precise age. Every time they grow, lobsters change carapace. Therefore, there is no trace of growth on their body that can indicate their age (such as the growth rings found on the scales of fish, for example). We therefore don't know how long lobsters can live. Age is estimated according to size and growth rate based on temperature. We know however that they can live many years (at least 50) and reach very large sizes. In 1977, a lobster weighing 20 kg and measuring approximately 1 meter (overall length) was caught in Nova Scotia. Off the coast of Massachusetts in the U.S., a similar lobster was also reported (20 kg, overall length: 91 cm). Moreover, certain records document the capture of a lobster with an overall length between 1.5 and 1.8 meters.
Source: www.osl.gc.ca...

[edit on 17-10-2005 by SilverSurfer]

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Keep in mind that that 20 kg lobster (45 pounds or so) doesn't really compare to how much the horseshoe crab in that picture must weigh. If it is real, it must be at least 4 feet long and weigh at least 200 pounds, not including the tail (If that person with the rod is a full-grown adult.)

That lobster is pretty amazing though. I work in a seafood department and the biggest one I've ever seen was about 4 pounds.

As for Trilobites, as far as I know they exist, because I have had them as pets
. Unless there is a company ripping people off and selling brine shrimp (Sea Monkeys) as trilobites. They didn't quite look like Brine Shrimp. Seemed to be darker and more solid. Essentially the same thing though, so maybe they were. About an inch long, three eyes, etc.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I just picked up some trilobites for my daughter. i have not hatched them yet though. they sell kits in many places. figured it wuld be good for a first pet, as long as it does not get as big as that horseshoe crab.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
the horeshoe crab in the first picture is not real.

they're all over the place by my house and they don't get that large.

still strange and freakish but not as big as a boat scary.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by scoobdude
I just picked up some trilobites for my daughter. i have not hatched them yet though. they sell kits in many places. figured it wuld be good for a first pet, as long as it does not get as big as that horseshoe crab.

They won't. That horseshoe crab isn't even as big as it seems. It's a Photoshop job; I believe it was proven elsewhere on this board.

Triops (trilobites, as you called them) are very interesting, and I think it's great you got some for your daughter. They're a fun learning device. I like to pick up a package myself on a whim sometimes, just to have a project to work on when there's little left for me to do.

[edit on 17-10-2005 by Wolvaurynphamir]

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
the horeshoe crab in the first picture is not real.

they're all over the place by my house and they don't get that large.

still strange and freakish but not as big as a boat scary.

Ok its a probability that its a fake.. but just out of curiosity have you ever found any horseshoe crabs thats say 40,50,60 cm ??

Since other sites say they can get to 60 cm in size im curious if you ever found any near that size.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilverSurfer

Ok its a probability that its a fake.. but just out of curiosity have you ever found any horseshoe crabs thats say 40,50,60 cm ??

Since other sites say they can get to 60 cm in size im curious if you ever found any near that size.

15 inches (40 cm's) easily if we are measuring tip of the tail to the front of the shell.

24 inches (60 cm's) not sure - I've seen some pretty large ones. I also had the wonderfull pleasure of being with a girl who jumped off my boat onto a tail in the "how do you do?" position. clear thru the foot. nasty stuff.

they're fun to play with. when we find them, we put babies in the fish tank.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
wow, this picture has recieved more publicity on this site than any other picture I can think of lol. I think i need to start photoshopping something similar and see what I can stir up
. Ha just kidding i wouldnt do that.

But yes that is 100% photoshop

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolvaurynphamir
They won't. That horseshoe crab isn't even as big as it seems. It's a Photoshop job; I believe it was proven elsewhere on this board
[edit on 17-10-2005 by Wolvaurynphamir]

do you have any idea where? i searched but came up with these same threads. anyone have crazy madd PS skills to where they can run these thru a few filters to find out?

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   

OMFG!! RUN!!!

Wig

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I read the other thread on the horseshoe crab and it does not debunk the photo in anyway. So far all we have had is some people saying it must be a photoshop.

This photo of the horseshoe crab could still be real however unlikely it might seem to us.

Current status: unproven

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wig
I read the other thread on the horseshoe crab and it does not debunk the photo in anyway. So far all we have had is some people saying it must be a photoshop.

This photo of the horseshoe crab could still be real however unlikely it might seem to us.

Current status: unproven

this was a photochop done for a contest at www.worth1000.com .

I myself am 100% sure of this because i saw the photo in one of the contests. I would dig through all the contests but that might take a week considering they have a new one everyday, for the past 3-4-5 years...

Wig

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
You would have to prove that by suppling the two original photos. What I'm saying is that I could grab this picture and submit it in a competition saying it was my work. Doesn't prove it is a fake. Unless you have the original photos submitted to the competition.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join