It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keyboard Locks Up At Login! Grrrr!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Help!! :bnghd:

Last night I was working with a huge Photoshop file (250+MB)....It got caught up in the load-time after a bit of excessive use of the burn tool and crashed....

When I rebooted and got sent to the login screen where I enter my p/w...I hit the number lock key and my mouse immediately froze up - The cursor was still blinking though in the text field...

I tried rebooting again and just using the mouse at the login screen to restart from that little icon that pops up in the bottom left-hand corner (Windows XP) and it worked fine...

Every time I push a key though, it locks up...

I brought it into work - Checked to make sure the usb power supply was properly plugged in....Dusted it out....Put some heat sink on the processor....Booted it from a different monitor/keyboard/mouse....

Exact same thing...

Is this a motherboard issue? It's driving me nuts, whatever it is....I've got that PS file I need to print off as a proof....I suppose if this things persists, I can load my hard drive up onto another computer temporarily, but that still doesn't fix the problem...

Any ideas?!

[edit on 10/13/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

JAK

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Does it lock up in safe mode too?

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
try rebooting into safe mode.
it sounds like you may have a runaway process that was started from the crash. by booting into safe mode, you can disable unneeded processes

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I'd like to help you EOH, but if computer knowledge was shoe laces, I'd have velcro straps on my shoes.

Peace

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Well...It'll let me log on as admin when I boot into safe-mode b/c there's no p/w for that account....so long as I don't touch the keyboard....

I know I need a p/w on that accnt, but it's actually a good thing right now...lol

I tried my account the first time I went into safe mode and it still froze up...restarted when I was in as an admin and the same thing again....

Edit: Thanks anyways DrLove
....How's yours working? Damn stupid computers....lol

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   
First thing that comes to mind is RAM or motherboard. www.memtest.org

Did you check for hardware conflicts in Device manager?

[edit on 10/13/2005 by Kalapadea]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Looking over that site Kala....Thanks - SO this is something that runs at startup?

It's so weird...I can arrow up and down and press enter on the keyboard to select safe mode...

JAK

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
It sounds like it's the O/S rather than any hardware.

Have you tried removing the keyboard and letting Windows (I assume) attempt to reinstall it?

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
If I'm in safe mode under the admin accnt and go to unplug the keyboard, the mouse freezes up again...

Kala - Looks like we're onto something on that end though......The keyboard is infact flagged down in the device manager...

It says the hardware cannot be loaded due to an incomplete or damaged registry (Code 19)

I'm going through the troubleshooting menu right now to see what it suggests...

Thank you guys so much!

Edit: Its advice is to try uninstalling and then reinstalling the hardware....Tried that with no luck....

The Add Hardware feature locates the keyboard as a plug & play but it still has the warning symbol next to it...

Edit 2: I gotchya now Jak - Yeah....As you can see above, I've given it a shot - no luck....

JAK

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Hey Enron, I meant removing it from Device Manager. Then refresh and let Windows try finding and reinstalling it again.

Although you'd probably be better off with

Jak

[edit on 13/10/05 by JAK]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
LMAO....Tell me about it....

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
You know, I've heard before that windows is so evil that if you play the install disk backwards it plays satanic messages, but that's nothing, because if you play it forward, it installs windows.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
LMAO....Need some psycho music to do my repairs to

Well - I ran TweakNow Reg Cleaner - It found one seemingly unrelated issue with the windows uninstall (I suppose that could be related though)...So I scrapped that one...

I'm running a defrag now - First time I've ever run the analyze feature and it tells me I do need to defrag....So I'm crossing my fingers...

I'll give it a reboot after that's through running and see what happens...

I may also try uninstalling the keyboard again and leaving it uninstalled when I reboot and see if it recognizes it anyways....(Hope that's not what you originally meant JAK.....not trying to steal anyones thunder here...lol)

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Ok, I don't know if it would help for replacing registry keys, but it works for windows files... sfc /scannow in run.

System File Checker. Have your OS cd handy.

EDIT: OR, try scanreg /restore in run.

[edit on 10/13/2005 by Kalapadea]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Can't type anything

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Don't have to.

Start > Programs > Accessories > Accesibility > On-Screen Keyboard

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Aahhhh....hehe

I'll give that a shot when it gets done defragging....

I'm only at 4% right now

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Ok whilst this doesn't sort out the issue regarding the keyboard it may help getting the Photoshop file. It sounds as if you know more than me here but you may have missed the obvious. If you really need to get your file off the machine and don't want to remove the HDD etc then surely just log on into your admin account in safe mode and access the location where the file is stored and bung it on a floppy/USB key thing etc. In case you don't know (ok this is just an in case!) My Documents can usually be found at "c:\documents and settings\ACCOUNT USER NAME\My Documents"

Sorry if this is blatantly obvious and you know it, as I say you may be missing the obvious though!

Good luck in getting the Keyboard working again!

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Thanks Infidellic

Yeah - THe first thing I did when I was able to long on as admin was to burn a disc with that massive file on it so I could drop it on some other poor soul's PC and print it

I was a bit off - It was more like 500 MB...

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Defrag did nothing...

Well - I'm sure it did something....but it didn't help the situation

After I rebooted, I tried the run commands but they didn't work - I thought maybe you meant in the cmd field, so I tried that too but that didn't work either...

After I open the Run box, I just "type" those in with a space before the "/" right? For some reason it didn't seem to work...

I'm taking one of the work laptops home with me tonight to try and figure this crap out....

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join