It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Sixteen confirmed dead from mysterious outbreak in Toronto

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Sixteen people have been confirmed dead from a mystery illness effecting a Toronto area nursing home. Officials have not identified the virus, but are certain it is not avian influenza or severe acute respiratory syndrome. The illness is confined to the nursing home.

news. yahoo.com
A deadly outbreak of a respiratory illness at a Toronto seniors' home has claimed six more lives, raising the death toll to 16, health officials said Wednesday.

The cause of the outbreak at the Seven Oaks Home for the Aged remains unknown, but officials said the situation was under control. Thirty-eight people remained in hospital with the illness, and officials fear many of them are too frail to fully recover.

Seventy residents, 13 employees and five visitors have been affected.

Health Minister George Smitherman said there's no evidence to suggest the outbreak has spread beyond the Seven Oaks home, but he noted that respiratory illnesses are common among vulnerable groups of people like seniors.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As mentioned in the full source article, the area has learned many valuable lessons from the SARS outbreak and have applied principles with success. The virus seems to be contained to the nursing home. Many extra precautions have been taken. While many may view them as over protective, I believe in this case its needed.

While they cannot identify the virus, many have been eliminated. Another source lists:

Influenza, avian flu, SARS and Legionnaire's disease have all been ruled out, and officials say they may never determine exactly what type of bug is responsible.

Related News Links:
www.canada.com
www.canada.com
www.bloomberg.com
www.canada.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Outbreak of rare, cancer-causing blood virus in Canada

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Sounds suspeciously like a cover up.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
While they cannot identify the virus, many have been eliminated. Another source lists:

Influenza, avian flu, SARS and Legionnaire's disease have all been ruled out, and officials say they may never determine exactly what type of bug is responsible.

Those pesky strains just keep mutating and mutating and mutating again.

Kudos to Canada for being partially open, at least.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
When I heard about this last night, I told my wife. "It sounds like legionella."

Latest report I heard that Legionella was confirmed.

The tip off, they were all living in the same building.

Legionella gets into poorly maintained water systems or the HVAC air handlers and causes these types of outbreaks.

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Atsnn submission on it being Legionaires
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join