It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Deadly 1918 Spanish Flu Recreated By Scientists Found To Be Avian Flu

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Scientists in the United States have resurrected the 1918 Spanish Flu virus which killed 50 million people worldwide and now say they are beginning to understand why the virus was the cause of such a fatal pandemic. Genetic mutations in the 1918 Spanish Flu are being compared to H5N1 samples in the effort to prevent a similiar pandemic with hopes of being able to predict the cause the supervirus will take. It is hoped that drugs and vaccines can be created, specifically designed to target the virus mutations found in the experiments. The scientists used pieces of virus taken from the corpse of a flu victim, which was dug up from a frozen Alaskan Grave seven years ago. The pieces of virus were bought to life, or resurrected by combining the pieces with modern influenza virus pieces and growing the virus in bacteria. It is believed that several changes in genes caused the 1918 pandemic and the H5N1 Avian Flu is showing early sign of those same changes. Dr Taubenberger, head of the scientific team has now stated that "We now think that the best interpretation of the data available to us is that the 1918 virus was an entirely avian-like virus that adapted to humans," .

www.abc.net.au

"We felt we had to recreate the virus and run these experiments to understand the biological properties that made the 1918 virus so exceptionally deadly," Terrence Tumpey of the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, who helped write the reports published jointly this week in the journals Nature and Science.

The experiment, in which the virus was recreated employing a process called reverse genetics using preserved samples of the 1918 virus, allowed the researchers to test it in the laboratory and in several animals.

"How did the virus get into humans and how did the pandemic start? Second is to understand how this particular virus was so virulent," Dr Taubenberger said.

"What can we learn from the lessons of 1918 to prepare for and mitigate against a future influenza pandemic?"

"We now think that the best interpretation of the data available to us is that the 1918 virus was an entirely avian-like virus that adapted to humans," Dr Taubenberger said.

In particular, he said, a protein called hemagglutinin - the 'H' in flu names - was key. When the 1918 hemagglutinin was replaced with a modern influenza hemagglutinin, the resulting virus was not very deadly at all.

Also, another protein called neuraminidase was mutated in the 1918 virus in such a way that it could replicate itself under unusual conditions, perhaps deeper in the lung than other flu viruses. Neuraminidase is another key flu gene that makes up the 'N' in flu designations.

The 1918 flu was an H1N1 flu and very different from H5N1, the researchers stress.

They also said there was no danger to the public from their experiments, which are conducted in biosafety level three labs designed to contain the virus.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I worry when they decide to create experiements like this. I do understand the need to experiment and find cures for illnesses but this is a time bomb experiment if accidents occur or the specimans fall into the wrong hands.

It is interesting that now they believe the Spanish Flu to be a human adaption of Avian Flu. I hope more is found out about that in the effort to conquer the threat but I do still worry about the research proceedures.

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com

[edit on 5-10-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
It is believed that several changes in genes caused the 1918 pandemic and the H5N1 Avian Flu is showing early sign of those same changes.

So when the pandemic will hit? Early 2006? November? A terrorist attack? A bush-like attack?

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Lovely...they have recreated one of the worst plagues in human history....watch rumsfeld is going to want it for a weapon.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
You can not use a virus like this as a weapon. It is too risky to use, it could spread and end up killing your own people.
Biowarfare is the worst weapon, you don't know how it will turn out.

[edit on 5/10/2005 by Umbrax]

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
so has that ever stopped em from trying????

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Looks like they've had it for a while - and just got shamed into sharing.

Flu Researchers Slam US for Hoarding Data

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   
In case you do not know where this came from ? Guardian Unlimited

From frozen Alaska to the lab: a virus 39,000 times more virulent than flu Only a handful of scientists have security clearance to access the laboratory at 1600 Clifton Road in Atlanta, Georgia, home to the US government's Centres for Disease Control and Prevention. Before entering, they must pull on a protective hood, don breathing apparatus and pass through electronic fingerprint and retina scanners to prove their identity.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I first heard about them digging it up in a book on the 1918 flu a couple years back...so its not all the news is not all that new....that they have decoded it is though. Still think rumsfeld would love to get his evil little paws on it.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Chek this story out. The New York Times

It was the culmination of work that began a decade ago and involved fishing tiny fragments of the 1918 virus from snippets of lung tissue from two soldiers and an Alaskan woman who died in the 1918 pandemic. The soldiers' tissue had been saved in an Army pathology warehouse, and the woman had been buried in permanently frozen ground.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Biowarfare is the worst weapon, you don't know how it will turn out.

Before gene-sequencing, that was true. Not anymore. Now that criminal-scientists have the human genome, they can build designer diseases that will kill only a select person, say, whose DNA they have obtained. Or perhaps a whole group of people who have a particular gene, or skin color.

What's that? You don't believe scientists can be criminals too? Ha ha. Read more about war crimes.

Although the hysteria available in this story is obvious, I do think there might be good reason to regenerate this 1918 flu if it somehow results in a viable cure. I do not know enough about viruses to know if that's a valid reason for this recreation.

Where's my copy of "The Stand"? I need to get myself psyched up for the world my kids will live in.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   
i posted something like this on ATSNN but for some reson i dont think it got through and i cant find it anywear so i dunno what happend but i guess u beat me to this article.

just to add heres what i had in my article

"Scientists are doing a recreation of the Spanish flu of 1918. the replica of the flu is now being stored in a level 3 bio-safety lab in Atlanta Georgia. The flu virus from 1918 was also originally an avian flu virus, but it didn’t mix with any of the current day human viruses but instead the virus just adapted to be able to affect human (unlike the flu viruses that caused pandemics in 1957 and 1968)

The current avian flu (H5N1) can infect humans although it is very unlikely but has killed at least 65 people so far. Since H5N1 is an avian flu, the human immune system cant fight it and people who catch the flu don’t stand much of a chance.

The Spanish flu went through several mutations to all of its genes before becoming a huge pandemonium and the H5N1 is currently showing signs of going through the same mutations"

[edit on 6-10-2005 by trust_no_one]

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
The title to the thread couldn't be more misleading.

This 'avian-like' flu doesn't surprise me, they are both flus after all...for whatever its worth.

With improved medical eqpuipment and techniques since 1918, and more advance means of communication and transportation, I think there is no way this HN51 becomes anything like the Spanish Fluenza.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty

This 'avian-like' flu doesn't surprise me, they are both flus after all...for whatever its worth.

With improved medical eqpuipment and techniques since 1918, and more advance means of communication and transportation, I think there is no way this HN51 becomes anything like the Spanish Fluenza.

Frosty - you need to actually read some of the links and sources. You couldn't be more wrong.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Lovely...they have recreated one of the worst plagues in human history....watch rumsfeld is going to want it for a weapon.

I was just going to say to buy stock....

Since they've created it, a vaccine is going to need to be made. The h5n1 vaccine would be a good investment. You watch the paper trail in washington...

Now all i'm waiting for is to hear about a dog that ran through the lab and knocked over the virus sending it into the air latching on to some lab tech who then spreads it to the outside world.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Odd that this story comes out the day after this one: ap.tbo.com...

Don't ya think??

Also someone posted on here earlier that they've been holding out on this news for a while... So looks like they decided to announce it "officially" today, but why would they after what was said yesterday??? hmmmm

ap.tbo.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Frosty - you need to actually read some of the links and sources. You couldn't be more wrong.

Please, shut your yap.

The 1918 flu was an H1N1 flu and very different from H5N1, the researchers stress

Wait, there is more!

"We now think that the best interpretation of the data available to us is that the 1918 virus was an entirely avian-like virus that adapted to humans," Dr Taubenberger said.

Avian-like, not avian. There is a difference here.

The title is still misleading.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Please, shut your yap.

Yoohoo, mod? Moderator?

Frosty, this is ATSNN. I think you want the mudpit.

boombye

If it looks like a communications strategy, and smells like media manipulation, why, it must be the new truth!

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Please, shut your yap.

Yoohoo, mod? Moderator?

Frosty, this is ATSNN. I think you want the mudpit.

boombye

If it looks like a communications strategy, and smells like media manipulation, why, it must be the new truth!

Uh, what are you yapping about anyway? You told me that I was wrong to say that 1918 fluenza is not an avianflu and that I should read the sources, which I did. And guess what? The fluenza of 1918 as stated in the sources isn't an avian flu. So I gave you a warning not to post frevilous and idiotic discussion anymore. OK? I moderated your lack of understanding.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Uh, what are you yapping about anyway? You told me that I was wrong to say that 1918 fluenza is not an avianflu and that I should read the sources, which I did. And guess what? The fluenza of 1918 as stated in the sources isn't an avian flu. So I gave you a warning not to post frevilous and idiotic discussion anymore. OK? I moderated your lack of understanding.

What is avian influenza?

Avian influenza, or "bird flu", is a contagious disease of animals caused by viruses that normally infect only birds and, less commonly, pigs. While all bird species are thought to be susceptible to infection, domestic poultry flocks are especially vulnerable to infections that can rapidly reach epidemic proportions.

The disease in birds has two forms. The first causes mild illness, sometimes expressed only as ruffled feathers or reduced egg production. Of greater concern is the second form, known as “highly pathogenic avian influenza”. This form, which was first recognized in Italy in 1878, is extremely contagious in birds and rapidly fatal, with a mortality approaching 100%. Birds can die on the same day that symptoms first appear.

More can be found here, at the WHO website:
www.who.int...

also,
www.cidrap.umn.edu...
excerpt:
In the other study, researchers at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology (AFIP) report that the close resemblance of the 1918 virus to avian flu viruses suggests that the 1918 virus was an avian strain that managed to adapt to humans without first acquiring any genes from existing human flu viruses. Further, the researchers found that several of the same mutations that differentiated the 1918 virus from avian flu viruses are found in the H5N1 virus, which has killed more than 60 people in Asia. The report appears in Nature.

[edit on 7-10-2005 by SourGrapes]

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes

....the 1918 virus was an avian strain that managed to adapt to humans without first acquiring any genes from existing human flu viruses.

Thanks SG. ...and that's the kicker, isn't it? Bird flu does NOT need to acquire genes from human flu viruses to infect humans...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join