It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Schroeder Admits For The First Time He Might Step Down

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Speaking on German Television, Chancellor Schroeder said that he would not stand in the way of a stable German government. The country is currently in political limbo as no party won a clear majority and the process of forming coalitions is still in process. However Schroeder's SPD (Social Democrat) party has insisted that they want him to remain as leader of the party. Schroeder is being challenged for the Chancellorship by the right-winger Angela Merkel.

news.bbc.co.uk
German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder has for the first time since last month's election hinted he might abandon his claim to lead the next government.

Speaking on German television, he said he would not stand in the way of a stable government being formed.

"This is not about my prerogatives and not about me as a person," Mr Schroeder said, adding he would accept any decision by his party leaders.

But the Social Democrats (SPD) insist they want him to remain chancellor.

The demand was re-iterated on Monday by SPD chairman Franz Muenterfering.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Schroeder must see that this whole affair is damaging his country. He should of formed a coalition by now if it was possible. If it is not then he should conceed defeat and step down as Chancellor.

However, why has Merkel not formed her coalition yet? Whats the hold up?

Related News Links:
www.abovetopsecret.com

[edit on 3/10/05 by subz]

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
The election that won't quit.

I wonder just how long this thing can drag on?

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
These problems can last a very long time, in fact it could result in another election within the year. Does anyone remember Germany during the 1919 to 1930 period and the amount of elections due to this problem?

If Schroeder steps down, someone else will take his place and nothing will change because no party has got 51% of the Government. In fact you might see it go three-ways which I do believe has happened once before in history. So you have three main parties all with around the same percentage vote which can result in them:

A) Passing laws which are best for the majority and not their supporters
B) Inter-regional conflict
C) Another election.

new topics

join