It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Chinese Chimp Kicks 16 Year Chain Smoking Habit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Ai Ai a 27 year old chimp in Qinling Safari Park in China's Shaanxi province has kicked a 16 year smoking habit. The chimp began smoking after two partners died and her daughter left home. The habit was broken with a strict regime of diet and exercise which included walking and music therapy. It has not been stated why the chimp was allowed cigarettes in a country that is the largest consumer of cigarette smoke.

www.news.com.au
"In the first few days, she squealed for cigarettes every now and then, but as her life became more colourful, she gradually forgot about them altogether," one zookeeper was quoted as saying.

"She's served fried dishes and dumplings at every meal, alongside her usual diet of milk, banana and rice.

According to the Xinhua news agency report, Ai Ai became a smoker in 1989, shortly after her first spouse died.

She started demanding more and more cigarettes after her second spouse died in 1997 and her daughter departed to another zoo, it said.

China is the world's largest cigarette consumer, with limited education available about the dangers of tobacco.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Good on her, the face of giving up smoking the world over. If a chimp can do it, anyone can. It sounds like this poor chimp's smoking habit was used as an attraction, at what cost to her health though.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   

She started demanding more and more cigarettes after her second spouse died in 1997 and her daughter departed to another zoo, it said.

We're talking about a monkey right?

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Yes albeit a rather spoiled one...dumplings and fried rice indeed...

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
Yes albeit a rather spoiled one...dumplings and fried rice indeed...

I'd say so. You know how they get lifelong human smokers to quit when they go to prison? They lock the door and don't give them cigarettes.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Good on her, the face of giving up smoking the world over. If a chimp can do it, anyone can.

Applauds. I think the chimp would still be smoking if it had the ability to get the cigs if it wanted them. Anyone can quit if their supply is cut off.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I heard this on the radio on the way home from work and it still doesn't make any sense.

It's not like the chimp was buying them herself.

Disgusting as it may be; they were given as a novelty, "OOOO look, a smoking chimp!!"

They could, and should, have just stopped giving them to her long ago.

I really see no story except that they finally "cut her off" like they should have done long ago,

It's not like she's on the patch or gave it up herself.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

We're talking about a monkey right?

Quite a few chimps and gorillas have learned sign language and are able to communicate and "ask" for things.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by redmage
Quite a few chimps and gorillas have learned sign language and are able to communicate and "ask" for things.

My point was simply that quite a few humans including some zoo handlers have also developed the ability to communicate and say "no."

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

My point was simply that quite a few humans including some zoo handlers have also developed the ability to communicate and say "no."

Very true, It seems the novelty finally wore off and they are no longer stuck in the early barnum & bailey days for their "entertainment".

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Chimps start smoking because zoo visitors throw cigarettes into their pen and they pick them up and mimic what the people do with them.

I had an article about a similar situation on BTS news a while ago:

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
is her daughter a lesbian?

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   

I just had to get the photo up.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   

If a chimp can do it, anyone can.

I would assert otherwise.
Apparently, just "anyone" cannot, and to say that because a chimp can is degrading those individuals [ie: millions of men and women] who have tried and failed, multiples of times.

seekerof

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I quit smoking last December, cold turkey, after 10 solid years of Marlboro reds and then lights. It was easy, really. The first couple of days were a little tough, and I had a few weeks of sleeplessness, but, as an ex-smoker (not nonsmoker), I can affirm the truth that anyone who wants to quit can do so. The problem is getting people to truly want to quit.

Zip

P.S. LOL @ Grover

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Hey, I WISH I had been in a cell when I quit smoking. They could simply not give me cigarettes and I would go dry. Instead I have to drive around seeing people smoking from their cars, cigarette ads, and 1075 varieties of cigarettes every time I pull into a gas station.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Hey, it's easy to quit. I've done it dozens of times.

Last time I lit up was April 10, 2003.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Sadly, I've heard she's begun to hit the bottle pretty hard...

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 05:36 AM
link   
In Zhengzhou Zoo 13year-old Feili took up the habit because her mate 28 years her senior was unable to keep up with her amorous demands. news.com.au

Seems China has more than one smoking chimp.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   
if anyone has any doubt chimps and humans are related that last photo is priceless I have seen that look on every smoker (including myself when I smoked) I have ever known when they take a good drag and exhale. I bet she would have liked pot.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Hey, it's easy to quit. I've done it dozens of times.

Originally posted by jsobecky
Last time I lit up was April 10, 2003.

Congrats on actually quitting.

[edit on 5/10/05 by redmage]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join