It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disabled dvd rom drive????

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Hello, back again lol.
I can't seem to leave this place alone!

Okay. I wanted to watch a dvd on my pc so I put it in my dvd rom drive and waited.....and waited some more.

At first I thought that it didn't recognise the disc, so I changed it and tried again.
Still nothing.

I then checked the device manager to check on the status of the dvd drive only to find that it had been disabled. I then enabled it and tried again. Nothing!!!

I checked device manager again and it was disabled again??? So I enabled it again and tried it for the last time. It still wouldn't work.

Eventually I tried the troubleshoot option to find out what was causing this only to be met with the obvious......This device is disabled. (Code 22)

Then up popped another box asking me if i would like to enable the device. I gave it a shot but no luck.... H + H DVD-ROM DVD-41SD SCSI CdRom Device: Windows was not able to enable this device.

I checked the microsoft site for help but found nothing at all.

Someone please tell me what's wrong or how to fix this ...PLEASE.

I'm going to go nuts in a minute!!! :bnghd:

Thank you

[edit on 1/10/2005 by redize]

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
If you have just put this in your computer then you need to install the drivers for it. Find the exact product ID and stuff like that and go to a search engine (or microsoft) and look for the drivers for that particular model.. once you have done that, install them. Tell me what your DVD-ROM drive is and ill try and help you out.

brodband

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Hi, thanks for replying

Erm, I didn't buy it seperatley or just installed it, it came as it is. It was working fine the other day but now.....hhmmmm. Nothing at all.

I did go to the microsoft site but couldn't find anything that looked helpful (I probably overlooked something
).

You can pobably guess i'm not too familiar with computers, so could you tell me how to find out what my DVD-ROM is please.

I tried a search on that Code 22 thing, but again, came up with nothing!
Thanks for offering to help me out.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
First clicks start button
2. Click Control Panel
3. Click Systems icon

Okay now the system Property window is open
1. Click Hardware tab
2. Now click the Device Manager button

Now the Device Manger window is open
1. Click the + sign beside DVD/CD-Rom drivers
2. This will open a drop down list of all CD/DVD devices

Right click any of these and click the properties button
This will open the DVD-ROM Properties window, from here you can troubleshoot, reload drivers and tweak
Clicking the Driver tab will allow you to work with the drivers, update, rollback, uninstall.

Code 22

Recommended resolution

The device is disabled because a user disabled it by using Device Manager. Click Enable Device. This starts the Enable Device wizard.

Explanation of error codes generated by Device Manager in Microsoft Windows XP Professional

[edit on 2/10/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Hey Sauron, thanks for that but it didn't work.

I followed your steps and clicked on their property windows and tried to run the troubleshooter again. It didn't work.
Then I tried the enable button. It just went staight to a screen saying; "window's could not enable this device ".

I really don't know what's up with it. If Microsoft have anything on their site that'll help, could you please put me in the right direction
Or if you have the knowledge to help I would appreciate it

It's not even as if I could uninstall then reinstall as my pc didn't come with any software.

Doh!!!

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Okay try this do it all again, BUT DO NOT Troubleshoot.
Click the driver’s tab and see if you can update the driver.
You can also try Systems Restore.
make sure you are looking at your DVD and not your CD-R

[edit on 2/10/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Ok. Tried it again. Still no luck. For me to update the drivers it says to insert the appropriate software or select from a list on my computer.
As I mentioned, I didn't get any software for this.... :bnghd:

I tried the system restore. I went back a couple of days to when it was working, but it still says the same thing. Grrrrrr!!!

Will the software be downloadable from the microsoft site? If it is, would you have any idea what it is i'd be looking for? I'm totally clueless on this one.

Also, as soon as I click the enable button it just goes straight to the same message "windows could not enable this device". It doesn't even seem like it's trying to enable it. Seems too quick.

[edit on 2/10/2005 by redize]

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Solution:
I went out and picked up a new unit.
I pulled the old one, deleted all the software associated with it, and I installed a new one.

$34.95, problem solved.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Hahahahhahaha, that would be the ideal solution but my dvd drive shouldn't be busted.

It was working fine, but then just stopped. I didn't give it any reason to break or malfunction. If I was to go out and buy a new one, then that would mean that i'm losing out

There's got to be something that can be done to bring it back from the dead....................

.......maybe not? Oh well, if I can't get it fixed, then I suppose I will end up buying a new one. Doh!!

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Anoter thing you could do redize is to contact your computer manufacturer and tell them the model number of your computer and tell them that your DVD drive has failed and either someone should come out to your house or they will ask you to send it back to them. Who is your computer service provider? (What kind of computer do you have)?

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I have a Packard Bell pc. But there's one problem.

This is going to sound like a really stupid thing to thing to do but I lost my receipts and paperwork I got when I bought this pc. (I've moved house a few times and lost a lot of stuff).

Somehow, I think that's going to go against me lol :bnghd:

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
That could be a problem but maybe not. When you bought your PC you should have recieved an "Operating System" software disc. Whether it be windows XP,2000,me,98,95. You should have a disc that has your Operating System on it. Make sure you back up all of your files to a disc. Then reintall the operating system and it will reinstall your drivers for all of your hardware.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I didn't get any operating system disc or the like when I bought it. Looks like I should have though. Doh!!!

The only discs I did get were Microsoft Works and Packard Bell Software Library.
I guess maybe I could try the software library disc and see if that's any help.
Thanks for the tip!!

I'll probably be back in a minute!!

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Guess I came to this party a little late.

I have been lurking the shadows watching.....

1. I believe that the H + H DVD-ROM DVD-41SD SCSI CdRom Device which you list is not a physical drive. It is a virtual drive created by dvd/cd burining software. That is why you cannot enable it. It is only enabled while burning cd/dvd's.

2. If in device manager, you dont see a real CD/DVD, then you have about three possible causes of the problem.
a. CD/DVD died (possible but not probable)
b. The ribbon cable came off of the CD/DVD (also not very probable)
c. You installed other burning software recently that caused a software conflict with your other existing software (most likely)

3. You can download and run a free pc audit program like Belarc to help you find out the model of your real CD/DVD.

4. Packard Bell does have a UK website that will help you. You dont need reciepts, just type the pc serial number into the Packard Bellwebsite. There is supposed to be a fix somewhere there on the support pages.

5. If you find out what your CD/DVD really is, you can just reinstall the drivers for that model. You may get really lucky and find the drivers located here.

6. If all else fails google search the H + H DVD-ROM DVD-41SD SCSI CdRom, or just That is how I found most of this out. However, most of the links are in languages that I dont understand.

7. You wont need the Operating System CD. It is on your harddrive in a hidden partition.

8. This same thing has happened to A LOT of people judging from the searches that I have done. So dont let it get to you. Just try to have fun with it while you search for the fix...... Like this.....

Best of Luck
makeitso

[edit on 3-10-2005 by makeitso]

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

I tried the Microsoft Works disc but I don't think that was the right one...Duh!!
So after that I tried the Packard Bell Software Library disc. It wouldn't work????

I ejected it and noticed it was a dvd rom disc. Oh how convenient lol. I'm going to bite my pc in a minute!!!!

Any other words of wisdom???? Any?

makeitso

Thanks for that. I'll give it a go now!

[edit on 3/10/2005 by redize]

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
O OO OOO

Guess what I just found!

Never mind you'll never guess.

I found a Packard Bell Link that may help.

Just go to the Packard Bell downloads page, choose your model, select fixes and patches from the downloads drop down list, choose cd rom, and hopefully they will have a fix for you.

Technical Note: To be used in case Prassi Primo DVD or RecordNow DX is unable to detect the CD-R or CD-R/W drive. Error messages include:"PX.DLL not found" and "CD Writter not found" . Only use in cases where CD-Writer/ReWriter drive is not detected.

Packard Bell Support

If not, perhaps choose drivers, cd rom, and reinstall the cd rom.

Best of luck
makeitso

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso

1. I believe that the H + H DVD-ROM DVD-41SD SCSI CdRom Device which you list is not a physical drive. It is a virtual drive created by dvd/cd burining software. That is why you cannot enable it. It is only enabled while burning cd/dvd's.

It was enabled when I used it to play my dvd's previously, and the Code 22 that appears in it's status window suggests that it has been disabled by a user. I'm the only one who uses this pc and I did'nt disable anything

2. If in device manager, you dont see a real CD/DVD, then you have about three possible causes of the problem.
a. CD/DVD died (possible but not probable)
b. The ribbon cable came off of the CD/DVD (also not very probable)
c. You installed other burning software recently that caused a software conflict with your other existing software (most likely)

I did recently install a dvd burning program so after seeing you mention this I decided to uninstall it and restart my computer. The drive still doesn't play dvd's even after this

3. You can download and run a free pc audit program like Belarc to help you find out the model of your real CD/DVD.

I had a look there but considering I wouldn't know what to look for there, I left it....feeling pretty confused

4. Packard Bell does have a UK website that will help you. You dont need reciepts, just type the pc serial number into the Packard Bellwebsite. There is supposed to be a fix somewhere there on the support pages.

Ok, I gave that one a shot. Managed to enter my serial number and looked on the patches/fixes section. I found a patch/fix called pxengine507.exe to download for the cdrom thingy. I installed it and it said "your system has been succesfully updated".
After that I gave the dvd another go. Still nothing

5. If you find out what your CD/DVD really is, you can just reinstall the drivers for that model. You may get really lucky and find the drivers located here.

I tried this one and the site I was directed to appeared to be in French.

6. If all else fails google search the H + H DVD-ROM DVD-41SD SCSI CdRom, or just That is how I found most of this out. However, most of the links are in languages that I dont understand.

Had a look there also, still no luck. Also, like you said, the links were foreign too

I even tried another system restore but that had no effect either. Then I tried the hardware troubleshooter. After what seemed to be a million questions, I was told that the troubleshooter could not resolve my problem

I'm starting to lose my marbles over this. Everything was fine last week, now I can't even play a dvd/cd audio or cdrom in the dvd drive.

Any other ideas? Please

p.s: Thanks for looking about for me and providing the links

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Uninstall Nero and delete the Ahead directory.

Install aspi 4.60 with ForceASPI:
aspi.radified.com...

Reboot.
Reinstall Nero.

Nero (and other apps requiring it) will now use this aspi.

Google Search nero cd problems

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I did run accross a couple articles that said that the following works if you can still see your cd in device manager. I strongly urge you to call Packard Bell for support before you attempt this. At the very least back up your registry.

Error: System Cannot Access CD-Rom, CD-Recorder or DVD Devices.

If you uninstalled and reinstalled Nero in XP, or did an upgrade from a previous OS to XP without uninstalling Nero first, this is a known error (for both Adaptec and Nero). There is a problem caused by an association created in the system registry between some Adaptec driver files and the CD file system drivers for Windows 2000/XP. If the Adaptec driver files are renamed or removed, then the system will loose access to any CD drive (CD ROM, CD recorder, or DVD)
Check here before trying the fix below

IMPORTANT: The following contains information about editing the registry. Before you edit the registry, make sure you understand how to restore it if a problem occurs. If Windows XP won't start you can restore the registry by rebooting while pressing the F8 Key. Select "Last Known Good Configuration". Or you can use "System Restore" from Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools.

1. Uninstall all CD Burning software from the system.
2. Go to the RUN line and type in Regedt32 and press Enter.
3. Go to the following registry locations and delete the key values for UPPERFILTERS and LOWERFILTERS (Do NOT delete the entire 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BBFC1-08002BE10318 key just right click the individual keys and select Delete)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\[4D36E965-E325-11CE-BBFC1-08002BE10318]

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Class\[4D36E965-E325-11CE-BBFC1-08002BE10318]

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\[4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318]

4. Close out of Regedt32.exe and reboot the computer.
5. You should have access to your CDROM drives after reboot.

Make sure you create a System Restore Point before you make changes to the registry.

Best of Luck
makeitso

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Hi, sorry. I had to go to bed. I was battered.

Anyway, I didn't upgrade to Windows XP, it came as is on the pc when I bought it. Therefore, no conflict on that part.

I just remembered something though. When I connect my MOS mp3 player to the pc it installs a removable disk drive.
The first time I installed this, I noticed that my dvd drive went offline. Panicking, I did a system restore and found that it brought the dvd drive back online. Could this be the problem? Or something related to it?

It also comes with Music Match Jukebox software, so maybe this is what's causing the problem. I think i'll try uninstalling this and then trying again.

Also, I tried that Install aspi 4.60 with ForceASPI: aspi.radified.com... thingy. Errm..... call me what you want but I had no clue what that site was talking about lol

Be back again soon...sorry

top topics

<<   2 >>

join