It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genesis of Fractals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Fractals and Fractal geometry were discovered and developed by Benoit Mandlebrot. Mandlebrot was born in Poland in 1924 and emigrated with his family to France in 1936 where his uncle took responsibility for his education. The polish born French man became a mathematical physicist after attending the Lyce Rolin in Paris and the California Institute of Technology in the United States. It was in 1918 that Mandlebrot's uncle showed him a paper, written by Julia, one of the forefathers of modern dynamical systems theory, which faced Mandlebrot with a set of interesting problems. However Mandlebrot did not like it and decided to take a different career path, which in the end brought him back to Julia's paper. Mandlebrot went on to work for the company IBM, where he was able to spend time working with the aid of computer graphics. He was able to show that Julia's work is a source of some of the most beautiful fractals known today. Mandlebrot is considered to be the father of fractals. The word Fractal came from the Latin Fractus meaning broken or irregular, which was introduced by Mandlebrot in 1975. Mandlebrot produced fractals using computers; he generated one of the most famous and puzzling fractals ever seen - Mandlebrot's set. Mandlebrot was convinced that the phenomenon he had discovered was universal and produced many papers on it. It was not until he published his book 'The fractal Geometry of Nature' that he began to be taken seriously, and fractals were really appreciated.
It was Mandlebrot who coined the phrase 'fractal dimension', which is used to describe fractals as they have non integer dimensions and fractals have been shown to have no actual real characteristic scale.

people.bath.ac.uk...

My question to you scientists is where were fractals before computers?
Fractal designs are hundreds of years old, in doilies, ancient symbology, quilts etc, BUT now [since computers]we can see they emanate from the depths of the Universe.
Of all the over 8K nder's they will describe the most wonderful colors and sounds that are non-earthly.
So I, being a dumb occultist, have fractals been out there since the creation or big bang?

[edit on 1-10-2005 by asala]

[edit on 1-10-2005 by siriuslyone]

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I cannot believe this has gotten 0 responses.
Am I the only one who finds this revolutionary?

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
This is a free fractal generator I recommend.
Download it if you wish to see an awesome sight.

www.chaospro.de...

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Eh? Math doesn't exist, it's just a creation by mankind to allow us to understand the universe - just another language. Fractals are amazing, but in the end, they're just mathematical functions repeated and changed. If you've ever programmed you can see how easy they are to create. (I prefer Java)

It's not a universal "truth."

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
Eh? Math doesn't exist, it's just a creation by mankind to allow us to understand the universe - just another language. Fractals are amazing, but in the end, they're just mathematical functions repeated and changed. If you've ever programmed you can see how easy they are to create. (I prefer Java)

It's not a universal "truth."

Dylan once said he was a mathematical writer.I agree.
It is still amazing how thousand of fractal images have been done by little old ladies and persian rug makers who could care less about math.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
spanky.triumf.ca...

for those interested, delete the previous generator I posted and download this one, it is much easier and has more generation..

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Check out these awesome views of non-math emanating from where?

www.riffraffuk.demon.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
check out aros fractals... it is pretty easy to use and creates great images. I have been into fractals for a while.

The math comes down to a pretty simple equation that revolves around an "irrational number"; the square root of negative one times some number. The equation creates the graph of the base fractal by using the real vs irrational parts as x and y locations. those two coordinates act as a seed to the equation which then responds that the location is either limiting at zero or limiting at infinity. Then if infinity, it will tell you how many iterations of computation it took to resolve the equation at infinity. The number of iterations is then colored in spectrum. The contrast that you see between the black (zero's) and the spectrum (infinites) is the fractaline image. As you zoom into the image you are in a way adding increasingly "accurate" descriptions of exactly what is occuring (infinity vs. zero limit) to smaller fractions of x,y (rational vs irrational) seeds.

Sri Oracle

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sri Oracle
check out aros fractals... it is pretty easy to use and creates great images. I have been into fractals for a while.

The math comes down to a pretty simple equation that revolves around an "irrational number"; the square root of negative one times some number. The equation creates the graph of the base fractal by using the real vs irrational parts as x and y locations. those two coordinates act as a seed to the equation which then responds that the location is either limiting at zero or limiting at infinity. Then if infinity, it will tell you how many iterations of computation it took to resolve the equation at infinity. The number of iterations is then colored in spectrum. The contrast that you see between the black (zero's) and the spectrum (infinites) is the fractaline image. As you zoom into the image you are in a way adding increasingly "accurate" descriptions of exactly what is occuring (infinity vs. zero limit) to smaller fractions of x,y (rational vs irrational) seeds.

Sri Oracle

Thank you for that explanation.I have been into fractals when I first saw one.I am not a mathematician obviously, but I am into the more esoteric
emanations from infinity that can be changed my just altering the math.
Mandlebrot IMO, gave us a way to see how really spectacular our Cosmos really is if one were on the 'other side', this is just a tiny look at what is there awaiting us souls..

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Someone please elaborate on fractals. I know for a fact that fractals are much more than just a cool mathematical design. Fractals are what thought and consciousness is based upon. Thought and consciousness is what the universe is based on. Since all fractal patterns can be broken down and/or built up in the exact same way with the exact same pattern, the original "thoughtform" that created the universe is what every thoughtform thereof isbuilt upon. If this is the case, then fractals hold the key to discovering exactly who we all are, because we are the same "Consciousness", as is everything physical, and our sentience and separation from what surrounds us is simply a fractally born illusion.

There can be infinite amounts of different fractal patters, but they all started from a spiral and blossomed from there. They begin with the spiral, and they end with the spiral.

So, I can say I'm God, and you'd only be fooling yourself in denying that I am not.

You can say the same thing.

Now.... what is the meaning of all of this? If you've ever looked infinity in the face and had it stare back at you... you'll most likely realize that it's better for our sanity to ask questions, rather than find answers.

Do we really wanna deconstruct the illusion of all of this by finding all the answers, and then be alone again, back where all of this started in solitude?

I dunno. Maybe someone who knows more about the relationship between fractals and creation could help me answer this question

Or maybe we don't wanna know what fractals can tell us, because... I know, at the very least, that it's universal and multi-dimensional in nature, and the implications could conflict too much with our egos. The real question is... will we ever let the answers get in the way of our percieved reality?

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I've raised a dead thread. All hail my might. No takers?

Seriously, I'd like to discuss fractals more in depth.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Everything is similar to something else, fractal. Moreso self-similar. Circle, square, triangle. Everything made up of smaller identical parts. Devices receiving, devices expelling. Fractals show you that there is no size, only magnitude. Things are as big as they are small. The universe structures itself with linking "highways" that send and recieve material, just like rivers, just like our capillaries, just like our neural network.

You know, nothing is apart from anything, no empty space. Without any one piece in this inconceivable, unimaginable machine that is the universe, it would cease to exist. We act not apart from eachother but always together wether we realize or not. You do something based on what something(environment) did to you.

When you move your hand through empty space, you're pulling and pushing on every single piece of matter in th existence. You can feel it, just not the fineness of it.

"Fractals" are how reality assembles itself. A couple basic shapes repeated at various angles from eachother, at differing magnitudes create the whole of existence.

typos

[edit on 29-1-2008 by depth om]

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
This all ties into sacred geometry. When you walk closely with God and practice meditation daily, you will eventually reach a state where you will see the nature of reality all tied in and made up of infinite fracts and geometrical shapes. This is part of the underlying nature of this reality and very few get to see this in real time.

Again mathematics only proves what mystics have been saying for thousands of years.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I'm not referring to anyone here, but these types of people in general.
All the "christ-like" gurus out there who act aloof and separated from our reality are doing themselves a disservice. It is against their message to let go of their ego. They didn't always have that ego. They chose to have it, and they might as well experience this reality as much as possible and learn from it then be separated in deep meditation all day.
Once you see this..... it's a double edged sword, because you know it's an honor because you're one of not many right now that see this... but yet, knowing it all means you are it all, and therefore you are alone. one day half of infinity from now, we'll all come to realize this in the universe, and then We'll be one isness again... and a few infinities later, we'll decide that we wanna go back to the illusion of being selves again. It's all one vibration between is and isn't, and you wanna be somewhere in the middle.

Thaqt way, like fractals, it allows you to see it all, but also see it all as separate parts that correlate exactly in the end.

one head in the light realm, the other end in the condensed realm.

one end in the chaotic spiral, other end in the geometry and order of it all.....

in the hizzle, fo' shizzle.

[edit on 3-2-2008 by indierockalien]

[edit on 3-2-2008 by indierockalien]

top topics

join