It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Energy Drinks for Children?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
A new energy drink called KickStart Spark (TM), aimed at children from 4 yrs of age, has some people concerned about the ingredients and the wisdom of providing them to children so young. The drink contains, among other things, 60 mg. of caffeine per serving.

abcnews.go.com
Some Critics Call Caffeine Drinks for Children Risky

By MARC LALLANILLA, ABC News

Sept. 26, 2005 — There's nothing new in marketing products to children, even products intended for adults. But doctors are concerned that a new sports drink containing caffeine and other substances, marketed to children as young as 4 years old, may have gone too far.

Spark, a product aimed at adults and teens manufactured by Advocare of Carrollton, Texas, contains 120 milligrams of caffeine — roughly the same amount as a cup of coffee — as well as 200 mg of taurine and 50 mg of gamma-aminobutyric acid, a compound with stimulant properties.

These ingredients are usually found in energy drinks and sports beverages intended for elite athletes.

KickStart Spark, a related product specifically marketed for children 4 years and older, contains even more gamma-aminobutyric acid (100 mg), 200 mg of taurine and 60 mg of caffeine.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Since when did kids need energy? My six year old boy is on the go dawn to dusk, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

How can this be good for children? Thats like, two sodas worth of caffeine. The company, Advocare of Carrollton, Texas, is scrambling to justify their product. Critics are questioning the wisdom of having that concentration of caffeine in a children's beverage.

I think its just plain nuts. But then, that's just me.

[edit on 1-10-2005 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Its dumb plain and simple. Parents should avoid this product like the plague. It would be cheaper to sit you 4 year old down with a 5 pound bag of sugar and spoon. That would be better for them than this :shk: I have a 3 year old that runs from dawn to dusk. We need something to slow him down not speed him up

[edit on 10/1/05 by FredT]

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Honestly, now if kids drin kthese teachers will probably start saying so and so has ADD. NO!! He's wired up on caffeine!!! Is that company crazy!?!??! Marketing to 4 years olds....

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Sounds like the brilliant minds in Social Science Academia are experimenting again. Create a generation of Superhumans (no mental problems, 120% productive, quick mental process, self-sufficient etc) Like with all biological psychology, it is all trial and error.

Remember,,,the thought is, the weak and broken are the cause of societies ills and must be weeded out.

Sound familiar?
Nazi Germany
William (Bill) Bennetts comments
This administration trying to get away from Social Security etc

[edit on 1-10-2005 by magnito_student]

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
This is criminal.

Whoever thought of this should be shot in the head.

I'm sorry, but these kinds of companies need to be shut down asap as they are plainly irresponsible.

Cheers

JS

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Age 4? Um, I don't think so.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
This is even more lame than Carbonated Milk. Caffeen and stimulants, sugars and crap foods will jack up a kids system and ability to think and act normally. Soda's and candy and fast food crap over stimulates young children making it more difficult for them to pay attention, control their emotions, etc. Why do you think so many people, especially kids are taking medication for ADHD or something similar for uncontrolled behavior???

They get "buzzed" and too hyper active from all the crap like this stupid sports drink and or candy and soda and can't control themselves or their ability to pay attention to anything for more than a second and bounce off the walls. That is until it wears off and thier body then reacts by dropping out completely making them crabby and lazy and after some time in this cycle, addicted and dependant upon a cycle of Up's and Down's of high sugar/caffeen diets and ADHD medications.

If you don't believe me, then by all means experiment on your kids and see what happens. Just don't get mad at me when you see the results.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
A couple definitions and additional info here.

Taurine

gamma-aminobutyric acid

I found these little bits especially interesting.

(Taurine) There is evidence that it is an inhibitory neurotransmitter in the central nervous system.

and

With regard to the human brain, it has been asserted that GABA signals interfere with the registration and consolidation stages of memory formation. This is thought to be possible because the GABA system is found in the hippocampus, an area of brain which has been implicated in memory formation.

Taurine is also used in the digestion of lipids (proteins). So what gives with these ingredients?

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I can't believe it, what will they do next? Give kids amphetamines?
I can't understand why they would even consider giving kids stuff like this, it's beyond belief.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Ill buy it, and let my 8 year old drink it, right before he goes to his dads for the weekend....It will help him wash down the pixie stix....lol

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Energy Drink for kids......

It's called a can of soda...or a candy bar.

What's the need for an actual "drink"?!?!? WTF

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Amazing.

So, sure, it's bad for 4 year olds, but as the original post states, it's the same as about 2 cans of soda. Before all the naysayers jump on the Shame Wagon, just make sure you aren't guilty of giving your children soda.

I know I didn't at that age.

And I vehemently agree that kids don't need to act like they have "ADD". "Normal" kids gets tagged with that crap all the time. There is nothing wrong with active children.

And besides the fact that giving children that young cafeine, what about potential heart problems or the addiction factor given the child drinks large amounts of this garbage? Jeez...give the kid some Juicy Juice and let them play.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Hey I think this is a bad idea to market it to such a young age. It would be like giving a toddler a bottle of bawls. I gave a toddler a glass of bawls once, and boy was he wound up.
Now and days it is all about the money.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Nutrional drink for kids? wtf?

60mg caffeine for a 4 year old, they must want to really wire up the toddlers and get them ready for Ritalin addiction. What's next meth koolaid..egads!

Mountain Dew=12 ounces/ 55.0 mg caffeine
Coca-Cola=12 ounces/ 34.0 mg caffeine

My kid never had soda till she could buy her own and to this day she doesn't like it much. Damn if I would buy this product for any adolescent.

ADD, makes ya wonder how it started when you amp up your kids brain on caffeine.

[edit on 2-10-2005 by Regenmacher]

top topics

join