It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

G3/FNFAL clone or AR15?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
For recreational shooting would you rather have a G3/FNFAL clone in .308 or a AR15 variation in .223?

FNFAL/G3 clone

AR15

What is that green rubber thing on the bottom of the mag? Does it function like tape to hold multiple mags together or something?

I think I would rather have the .308 as its a bigger round with more stopping power and kick. I also see tons of cheap surplus .308 ammo although there is lots of .223 stuff out there too. I have looked all that much but it seems like a decent FNFAL clone can be had for $600-800 while a AR is more like $900-1200.

Which one is more accurate?

Reliable?

Which one do you think is the better overall weapon?

So which would would you pick and why?

[edit on 29-9-2005 by warpboost]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I would go with the AR-15......it's more popular, depending on where you're at...so parts might be easier to come by and you can do alot more with the AR-15..such as add-on items if you like that stuff. Like scopes, sights, lights all that stuff.

sporty

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpboost

What is that green rubber thing on the bottom of the mag? Does it function like tape to hold multiple mags together or something?

Howdie,

Its called a Mag Pull, you put them on the end of your mag, so that when you want one from your pouches, it is as easy as pulling on the mag pull, as trying to get a grip on a wet mag, tightly packed in the pouch while running is more that difficult, its a bloody art form! lol It just makes life easier.

- Phil

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I would reccommend one of these,

Its an Armalite AR-10T chambered for .308 - they are extremly accurate and can be used for hunting with the available 5 round magazine.

Many versions are available including traditional AR style carry handle, shorter carbine versions etc.

AR-10T Info

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Phoenix, I have seen the AR10 before and I think it's a pretty cool rifle
but aren't they pretty expensive compared to say an AR15?

edit: I just clicked the link and it says $2126. I'm sure you could find it a little cheaper but it's still a $2000 gun vs about $1000 for an AR15 or about $500-600 for the FNFAL kits I have seen.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Bushmaster in .223 Rem

.308 is a little too much of a thumper for me.

I prefer the 16 inch Bushies with the fixed stock and the removable carrying handle.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Kind of off topic, but I found this on securityarms.com for and have never seen anything like it, have you? From what I understand its a modified M1A with a M4 stock?

M1A Socom 16/ M4 CQB (All new and unfired)
Springfield Arms Socom 16 Rifle and SAGE EBR M4 CQB Stock
* All New
* Desert Tan M4 CQB Stock
* Vltor butt stock
* Tango Down pistol grip with storage compartment
$2195

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Just one word of advice, STAY AWAY from CETME rifles, they might appear like a good deal but they are the poorest FAL clones out there.

G-3 clones run you up a lot of money, AR-15's are good, but not much of a hunter besides small/medium game.

Why not go for a Dragunov rifle? they are usually around 800 plus a nice PSO illuminated scope on it, they fire the powerful russian 7.62x54R rounds, they are very cheap too, those old russian surpless rounds, yes they are the same fired by Mosin Nagants.

It seems you have the same taste as me, guns with a kick lol.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
hit post to quick

[edit on 29-9-2005 by Phoenix]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Phoenix, I have seen the AR10 before and I think it's a pretty cool rifle
but aren't they pretty expensive compared to say an AR15?

edit: I just clicked the link and it says $2126. I'm sure you could find it a little cheaper but it's still a $2000 gun vs about $1000 for an AR15 or about $500-600 for the FNFAL kits I have seen.

Got mine used in good condition for about $1200, but it was a good deal when it came along. It shoots very well and make for a good all purpose rifle.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Ceteme isn't actually an FAL clone, it's more related to G3.
CETEME58 was designed by a ex-mauser team that had earlier designed Stg44. CETEME 58 was then modified by west germans and the result was G3...

As for gun purchase i'd sugest Sako RK-92 or 95, if you're allergic to AK variants i'd suggest getting an AR chambered for 6.8 SPC

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Kind of off topic, but I found this on securityarms.com for and have never seen anything like it, have you? From what I understand its a modified M1A with a M4 stock?

M1A Socom 16/ M4 CQB (All new and unfired)
Springfield Arms Socom 16 Rifle and SAGE EBR M4 CQB Stock
* All New
* Desert Tan M4 CQB Stock
* Vltor butt stock
* Tango Down pistol grip with storage compartment
$2195

The SOCOM 16 is a radically cut down M1A (or M14 if you prefer) with a minimum length 16 inch barrel and a muzzle brake to tame the .308. Recoil is pleasant but muzzle blast is apparently fierce. I have heard that some contractors in Iraq swear by them for absolute CQB firepower. Maybe someone managed to put an M4 stock on one - I wouldn't think that would work too well but who knows.

Personally I'd rather have a DS Arms FAL carbine if it had to be a .308.

There's still nothing wrong with an M4, but I prefer the 16 inch barrel over the 14.5 because that little pill needs every fps it can get to work well.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
QUOTE :”For recreational shooting would you rather have a G3/FNFAL clone in .308 or a AR15 variation in .223?”

What form does this “ recreational “ shooting take ? I have to ask , esp as you mention stopping power as a factor IMHO The only ` recreational ` shooting that requires an assault rifle is “ PRACTICAL “ competition shooting

Both guns you cite as choices are over priced and impractical for any sort of hunting [ and fall foul of reams of legislation ]

I don’t intend to insult you , but I get the impression You are more interested in the ` image ` of the firearm you wish to purchase than anything else

a gun like a ruger mini 14 fires .223 , looks KEWL and you can get hi cap mags

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
AR-15s are very popular for target shooting They are very accurate and well designed. They are also required for competitions in many of the top target-shooting competitions.

The Colt AR-15 and Springfield M1A are among the nation`s most popular rifles for marksmanship competitions

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
QUOTE :”For recreational shooting would you rather have a G3/FNFAL clone in .308 or a AR15 variation in .223?”

What form does this “ recreational “ shooting take ? I have to ask , esp as you mention stopping power as a factor IMHO The only ` recreational ` shooting that requires an assault rifle is “ PRACTICAL “ competition shooting

Both guns you cite as choices are over priced and impractical for any sort of hunting [ and fall foul of reams of legislation ]

I don’t intend to insult you , but I get the impression You are more interested in the ` image ` of the firearm you wish to purchase than anything else

a gun like a ruger mini 14 fires .223 , looks KEWL and you can get hi cap mags

You didn't insult me and I can assure you I'm not after some image you think a gun could provide
When I said recreational shooting I meant I want something that is fun to shoot, fun to look at, fairly reliable and accurate, relatively inexpensive ammo wise etc...

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 12:21 AM
link   
colt ar15 carbine (16 inch). highly accurate, light, well made; a beauty to shoot. if your looking for something fun and relatively cheap, believe me, its worth every penny (paid $900 for mine new....i've put probably 2 or 3 thousand rounds through it with no problems whatsover....then again, i keep it very well maintained). you can get 1000 rounds of ammo for a little over 100 bucks at several places online.

223 ammo:

www.cabelas.com...

www.georgia-arms.com...

another good one (and alot cheaper) is the marlin lever action 30-30. rounds are alot more expensive, but it has the added benefit of being a very nice hunting rifle as well......223 isnt a very good hunting caliber.

marlin 30-30:

www.marlinfirearms.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I'd suggest the FN FAL in the form of a Lithgow L1A1 SLR. Ex-Australian army, vinyl stock and body to make it lighter and more durable. Of course the limited number makes them kind of expensive, and they probably didn't export too many of them!

Maybe I've got this wrong, but I thought the conversion table looked like this:

.30in (US Federal) = 7.62mm (NATO)
.303in (Br Commonwealth) = 7.7mm
.308in = 7.92mm (German/Mauser)

And that first pic looks like and FN FAL Para, the folding stock version. Already kind of limited in number, the Brits who managed to score them in the Falklands absolutely refused to give them back, I believe.

[edit on 4-10-2005 by HowlrunnerIV]

new topics

top topics

join