It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI to get veto power over PC software ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   

The Federal Communications Commission thinks you have the right to use software on your computer only if the FBI approves.

No, really. In an obscure "policy" document released around 9 p.m. ET last Friday, the FCC announced this remarkable decision.

According to the three-page document, to preserve the openness that characterizes today's Internet, "consumers are entitled to run applications and use services of their choice, subject to the needs of law enforcement." Read the last seven words again.

This is hilarious. So as long as law enforecment "approves" the software its ok to use. Thank god for open source as this approach, half-baked & brainless, will fail.

news.com.com...

Document source: hraunfoss.fcc.gov...

brill

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
It's issues such as this that I always struggle with.

On the one hand, I would hate it if a terrorist was able to plan and execute a devastating attack simply because they were using Skype or some other internet communication tool that prevented the authorities from detecting them.

But on the other hand, I feel that this is removing certain liberties and freedoms.

I guess it comes down to how much freedom am I willing to give up in order to ensure my safety. I just don't know....

new topics

join