It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you had a "brush with greatness"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I don't mean to boast or to drop names but I've had several "brushes with greatness". That's right, I have encountered some of the most important people one could imagine;

I once met Robert Vaughn. No, really! that's right, I actually stood within ten feet of this renowned actor and star of stage, screen and televison. Can you imagine the thrill of being in the presence of tv's famed Napolean Solo from the '60s, Man from U.N.C.L.E.? It's a moment that I'll never forget. But that's not all...

I once had a conversation with Steve Martin. Yep, that's right, Steve Martin had spoke with me at length. You know an important man like Steve doesn't say "oh, hello" to just anyone. I suppose that he could sense my own inherant greatness.

And I hope that noone thinks that I'm being excessive in my boastful admission that I was also within Ted Nugent's sphere of influence. But it's true. Ted's camoflaged Ford SUV came so close to my own vehicle on a Detroit freeway that we made momentary eye contact! I must admit that as he passed me on the freeway, he seemed to be trying to tell me something as he seemed to be yelling or shouting. He even pointed at me.

Yeah, I've certainly had my share of encounters with celebrities and notables. Have you had any "brushes with greatness"?

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Steve Martin is the devil! If you see him, ask him how Dean Torrence is doing. Dean Torrence is my uncle, "Jan & Dean". That's about it worth mentioning, lol, plus random surf music bands like Sufaris and Beach Boys.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I once had Thanksgiving Dinner with George Burns. He was dating my cousin. I have also danced with Jerry Jones...but at the time I didn't have a clue that he was anything more than an old man who wanted to dance with a college student! Niether of them seemed, at the time, like a brush with greatness...just some folks having a good time! But, perhaps that is greatness in itself, a feeling of equality with those who seem, by culture's definition, to be elite.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I bet the conversation with Steve Martin was great.

Um, none for me I can really share publicly except John Lydon (Johnny Rotten) hocking a big luggie on me about 20 years ago when we were staying at the same hotel. That was priceless.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I AM Ted Kennedy.

-I sold Paul Tsongas a pair of shorts once
-I have strung nearly all of the Kennedys tennis raquets at one time or another
-Helped Dee Brown (Celtics) once
-Sold clothing to Robert Plant a few times he went to Boston
-Sold Tony Bennet some socks
-Sold a digital camera to some soap star once, dont know his name but all the girls went gaga.
-Sold Tony Roberts (MASH) a ton of stuff once
-I got to watch a Michael Chang warm up once with his brother and father
-I went Blue Fin tuna fishing with Peter Benchley (Jaws author)

Not much "greatness", but some close calls. I want to add that Tony Bennet and Robert Plant are two of the nicest guys in the world. These guys are HUGE and still manage to be good people.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I have met:

John Lee Hooker
Son House
Lightin Hopkins
Allen Ginsburg

And lots of other famous people but they were only famous; not "great" like the above.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Don't know about "greatness", but...

We (my wife and I) were walking from Universal Studios (Orlando) to Islands of Adventure…as we got near the NBA café, we saw a huge towering black man fully 2 feet taller than those around him. She remarked to me, “Damn, he’s tall!”, and we nearly ran right into him as we rounded the corner… It was Shaq, hehe… No wonder!

Once, when in TIA (Tampa International Airport), I ran into Tone Loc (rapper) on the shuttle tram, hehe…

I’ve had pretty good conversations with both John DeLancey (“Q” from Star Trek), and Anthony Daniels (C-3PO from Star Wars) while at DragonCon in Atlanta. I’ve met (briefly) many other celebrities there as well, such as David Prowse (Darth Vader), Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca), and Kenny Baker (R2-D2) from Star Wars. I’ve met almost every major cast member of Babylon 5, and once talked with Richard Hatch (Apollo on Battlestar Galactica, not the Survivor! Winner, hehe….) about his plans to make a Galactica movie (this was before the new series…).

Met a few others too, but I never really succumb to being star-struck, so that may help in striking up conversation. I simply acknowledge that I enjoy their work, etc. etc.

[edit on 29-9-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
i met frank butxher from eastenders

and Lenox Lewis!

oni x x

ps: i was so young at both times i cannot remember but my sis and family tell me i have meet them. x x

[edit on 29-9-2005 by Oni x x]

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Well... let's see here I've had so many, I don't think I can name em all, but I'll try..., I met Andy warhol when I was about 4 or 5, When I was living on Long Island, I groomed Christy Brinkley's horse, she would come down to do cattle cutting while Billy Joel watched, so I met them both a few times, Ive had dinner with collin quinn and jimmy norton(known Jimmy about 6 years now, along with godfrey, met Ice tea, in So. beach Miami. Partied with the Bad boys crew, and have gone to a few of puff's white parties.

And I've smoked a "Cigarette" with tribe called quest and Da roots. Hung out with a lot of DJ's, I was a club kid in the early 90's so if you've ever seen the movie "Party Monster" Most of the main characters were friends of mine.Most of the DJ's that made it big I knew before they were famous, Red Alert,Junior Vasquez, Kid Capri, Superstar DJ Keoki, and Larry tee.

Hung out with Phil Anselmo, from Pantera, at the same time I met Peter Steele From Type O negative(I was supposed to roadie with a friend of mine)

And I've been on the today show in NYC, they had a fashion show on camofluage colors for spring , so I met Al roker,Katie COuric, Matt lauer, and John sagenthauer.

Mi Vida Loca, HUH?

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Greatness is relative. Great to me, might not be great to you.

Anyways, I have met DMX him once, been with in 1 foot of him at least 10 times. He shopped at the same RC shop I did(it closed last year.).

To me, he is the best/REALIST rapper there is. He talks about his bout with crack in his music. He is a little more into god than I would like, but hay where only human.

[edit on 30-9-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I've met a few people in music, like John Entwistle from the Who, Paul Weller, Ian Brown, members of Babyshambles (but not Pete). The bass player from Judas Priest ran the mixing desk at one of our gigs once, and a few years back, I got to hang out backstage with Ocean Colour Scene, when they were big.
Other than that, I've met Carol Vorderman (she presented me with an award when I was a kid), The Lord Mayor Of London (same do), and Bob Symes off Tomorrows World (same do).

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paul
I've met a few people in music, like John Entwistle from the Who, Paul Weller, Ian Brown, members of Babyshambles (but not Pete). The bass player from Judas Priest ran the mixing desk at one of our gigs once, and a few years back, I got to hang out backstage with Ocean Colour Scene, when they were big.
Other than that, I've met Carol Vorderman (she presented me with an award when I was a kid), The Lord Mayor Of London (same do), and Bob Symes off Tomorrows World (same do).

Wow....you met Ian Hill...bass player of Judas Priest....omg...you met a "metal god"...you have indeed been "brushed by greatness".

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I was talking about "brushes with greatness" with a friend of mine today. It prompted him to tell me about his brushes with greatness. When he told me that he had actually met Rutger Hauer, I was in awe. Rutger is one of my favorite "B" actors. He's appeared in some of my favorite films including "Blood of Heroes" (aka "Juggers"). Of course since he appeared in Frank Millers' "Sin City", his position in the heirarchy of actors may actually improve.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I briefly met and shook hands with the Governor of New York State, George Pataki.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
Wow....you met Ian Hill...bass player of Judas Priest....omg...you met a "metal god"...you have indeed been "brushed by greatness".

Haha, yeah I didn't know who he was til someone introduced us. He lives in the same town as me and has a little studio on a business park just down the road. The area I live in is quite a hotbed of metal gods!

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
Have you had any "brushes with greatness"?

I looked in the mirror this morning, does that count?

[edit on 3-10-2005 by UK Wizard]

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Counts more than meeting those other crazies.

new topics

top topics

join