It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Trouble in Big China....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
China audit finds rampant government corruption

Looks like China has a corruption problem. I find it hard to believe that this news will build public confidence in the government there. This is FAR from good news for China who already has a large population of dissidents. The article states that over 4000 of these corrupt officials have fled the country with billions of Yuan, never recovered. I see much instability in China’s future…

Breitbart

“BEIJING (Reuters) - An investigation by China's state auditors released on Thursday has found rampant financial irregularities throughout government and said corruption in public administration is widespread.

The report found budget mismanagement in no less than 32 government ministries and departments, and was equally critical of the Finance Ministry and the National Development and Reform Commission, the two main bodies that disseminate cash.

Chinese leaders have said the government faces self-destruction is it fails to crack down on corruption but it remains a problem both for government and private business despite periodic clean-up campaigns.

"If the problems found by the auditors can't be solved, people will be disappointed and the audit administration will lose its authority," Qin Rongsheng, deputy director of China's Audit Research Association, was quoted as saying in the report carried in domestic media.

"It is hard to do the audits, but it is more difficult to get the problems solved," he said.

The report found some ministries overstated charges, hid income in secret accounts and managed to evade higher-level oversight….”

Read the rest.

It’s hard to imagine the people are that happy knowing all this money is going into the pockets of officials never to see the light of day again. And they really can’t do anything about it, it’s not like they can reelect or oust them.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   
welcome to capitalism

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shroomery
welcome to capitalism

And I like that. The people of China WANT IT, but the old Communist style government doesnt.

This will be interesting to see.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I wonder, what with the level of censorship the Chinese government has in place on the media, if the majority of China's citizens will even find out about this?

I've heard stories of Chinese reporters being jailed for something as simple as publishing their opinions on a controversial issue.

And if it does get out, I'd imagine the numbers would be drastically lower than what we're seeing now, to deter civil uprisings..

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shroomery
welcome to capitalism

So a country with a state runned economy equals capitalism? No, China is no longer as isolated as it once was which is why people suggest it is capitalist, but is far from this. The communist agenda still has a very strong grip.

But I am not surprised about the findings. China has undervalued its currency and lied to the WB about the amount of money in its banks in order to aquire loans. They are also lying about energy consumption say some economist because the energy consumption doesn't match up with the growth rate. Usually there is an expected increase in energy consumption as the growth rate rises. This has not happened in China so far as some have suggested.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
China is far way from becoming as corrupt as the US though

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Corruption has already become part of china's daily life, nowdays, officials don't take bribe are seen as eccentric, the recent "audit storm" just shows the tip of iceberg, and even the problems are found ,it is hard to resolve because the corrupted officials usually holds more power then those audit officers.

the propagander system often set up role models of a officer who don't take birbe, but it is of little use, some chinese people beleves china is the most corrupted country in the world, when I tell them there are countried which is more corrupted than china, they were really amazed.

BTW:most of those corrupted officials go to US, and the US government offered them protection, this also worsened the situation in China.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Hello i read your comments

How would you deal with this corruption?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
skippytjc

The article states that over 4000 of these corrupt officials have fled the country with billions of Yuan, never recovered. I see much instability in China’s future…

Is this the work of the government or greedy individuals ?

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty

So a country with a state runned economy equals capitalism? No, China is no longer as isolated as it once was which is why people suggest it is capitalist, but is far from this. The communist agenda still has a very strong grip.

An economic system in which the means of production and distribution are privately or corporately owned and development is proportionate to the accumulation and reinvestment of profits gained in a free market.

A definition of capitalism

China is not really a capitalist economy because a large majority of these are state owned.

But it is a market economy. production is not driven by quotas but by market demand.

Do you know this saying
"A communist in capitalist clothing"

This is most true with china

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Its very easy to get rid of corruption.

1. Accountability

2. An empowered and proffessional police force capable of enforceing the law.

3. Draconian Measures.

The problem is that while the police is professional and we do use draconian measures on a minutely basis accountability is hard.

We have some politicians who abuse their power and have enough of it in most cases to protect themselves from arrest but, thankfully political protection only goes so far and eventually they are either forced to leave (though unfortunatly with our tax dollars) or are arrested and summilarly executed.

Justice shall be served.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   

China audit finds rampant government corruption

that should read:

[insert country here] audit finds rampant government corruption

[edit on 6/10/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Corruption exists everywhere, if you wish for something to blame, blame God for making us full of imperfections. Our greed for money is universal, people from Cuba, US, Canada, England, China, Japan [insert country here] all have corruption problems. China just has more because it is in a very unique situation, the country is growing faster than its anti-corruption guidelines, how would I know? I've lived in China for the majority of my life.

China is very different than the US, the one particular among so many is our culture is based on the exchange of gifts. It is so serious that I wouldn't go to my friend's house without bringing some fruits or some goods for their children of parents. Meeting people who have big appetites simply put the gift bigger and to some extent involving money. Now in North America, the situation is drastically different, I am free to go to someone's houses without bringing gifts without fearing the brewing of questioning in the person's mind, in China, you'd be embarrassed for not bringing gifts. Corruption relates to this because some officials have big appetites compared to the rest of the population just like the officials in US. For them to have a good feeling about you being friendly, generous and nice, you'd have to bring a bigger gift than normal (sometimes involving money) because simply not everyone is an official. Technically, a social worker is not supposed to receive any kind of gifts and especially cash but based on tradition you get them and the guidelines would prove you to be corrupt.

Corruption also comes naturally when people acquire knowledge of the world. A famous Chinese saying is "Jing Di Zhi Wa" meaning a frog in the bottom of a well, the frog would only see the tiny piece of sky above him and he believes the sky is only that big. Some officials are like that and when some see the difference between a developing country and a developed country, they'd do stupid things to get to the developed country they saw often making moronic mistakes on judging the country without considering language barrier, education, employment, children and etc etc. Some who are hardcore would loot enormous amount of cash to another country which is a serious no no (execution).

There is so much to write about why and how China is corrupt in its unique way just like the rest of the world. You'd really have to experience China in life to comprehend this.

[edit on 7-10-2005 by COWlan]

top topics

join