It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US army plans to bulk-buy anthrax

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   

www.newscientist.com...

10:00 24 September 2005
NewScientist.com news service
David Hambling

THE US military wants to buy large quantities of anthrax, in a controversial move that is likely to raise questions over its commitment to treaties designed to limit the spread of biological weapons.

A series of contracts have been uncovered that relate to the US army's Dugway Proving Ground in Utah. They ask companies to tender for the production of bulk quantities of a non-virulent strain of anthrax, and for equipment to produce significant volumes of other biological agents.

Issued earlier this year, the contracts were discovered by Edward Hammond, director of the Sunshine Project, a US-German organisation that campaigns against the use of biological and chemical weapons.

One "biological services" contract specifies: "The company must have the ability and be willing to grow Bacillus anthracis Sterne strain at 1500-litre quantities." Other contracts are for fermentation equipment for producing 3000-litre batches of an unspecified biological agent, and sheep carcasses to test the efficiency of an incinerator for the disposal of infected livestock.

more...

Isn't this just a little ironic?

[edit on 24-9-2005 by loam]

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Irony Abounds

Originally posted by loam

A little.

Much more ironic would be what would happen if the U.S. decided not to do this, and was then unceremoniously wiped out by a biological warfare attack.

As it is, the U.S. is being razzed for not providing more disease-related data (as in the case of influenza) that could be used for biological warfare purposes.

Criticized for researching the data, criticized for knowing the data, and criticized for not sharing it.

How does that make sense?

The solution to the quandary: Ignore the critics.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Irony Abounds

Originally posted by loam

A little.

Much more ironic would be what would happen if the U.S. decided not to do this, and was then unceremoniously wiped out by a biological warfare attack.

As it is, the U.S. is being razzed for not providing more disease-related data (as in the case of influenza) that could be used for biological warfare purposes.

Criticized for researching the data, criticized for knowing the data, and criticized for not sharing it.

How does that make sense?

The solution to the quandary: Ignore the critics.

Huh? The Army is studying ANTHRAX? And needs BULK amounts to do it?

Come again?

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Ironic? More like highly disturbing.

Whatever use it is put to, however, the move could be seen as highly provocative by other nations, he says. "What would happen to the Biological Weapons Convention if other countries followed suit and built large biological production facilities at secretive military bases known for weapons testing?"

How much longer can we justify do as I say not as I do?

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Umm... what's wrong with what they are doing? Asking companies to provide non-virulent strands of anthrax to study how best to dispose of infected livestock sounds good to me. Would you rather the military be unprepared for such an event if it occurred?

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Not really..
I'd much rather they knew exactly what they were doing if another Anthrax related terrorist campaign were to happen. Last time there was a lot of uncertainty and inefficiency..
Since it's a non-virulent strain; I doubt they'd be planning to use it for any sinister chemical expiriments..
You wouldn't have heard about it if they were, at any rate..

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Okay then.

Everyone should do it. Name the countries we wouldn't be raising eyebrows at if they did the same thing.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
It's Only Fair

Originally posted by Relentless
Okay then.

Everyone should do it. Name the countries we wouldn't be raising eyebrows at if they did the same thing.

Same goes for nukes and nerve gas. Heck, let's buy a round for the house!

I'm not saying there's no reason for concern. The problem is that defense from this type of warfare necessarily involves research, testing and training -- which inherently overlaps with an offensive capability.

Is it worrisome that a nation with the world's second largest nuclear arsenal is researching biowarfare?

Maybe.

But as a citizen of that nation, I would be far more concerned if we weren't.

Is what I'm sayin'.

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Umm... what's wrong with what they are doing? Asking companies to provide non-virulent strands of anthrax to study how best to dispose of infected livestock sounds good to me. Would you rather the military be unprepared for such an event if it occurred?

Because last time you guys had it going around in letters the source was traced back to an American Lab.

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 02:19 AM
link   
There is quite an anthrax problem now in Manitoba Canada.

Six more animals have died from anthrax exposure in the Pembina Valley region, bringing Manitoba’s death toll to 33 cattle and horses this year.

One cow on an RM of Roblin farm and five horses on an RM of Argyle farm were confirmed dead due to anthrax earlier this week. This is the second anthrax fatality involving horses this summer.

The soil-borne bacteria, believed to be exposed due to this year’s wet weather, has killed animals on 11 Manitoba farms so far this year.

“They’re all in roughly the same area. It’s enough to cause a concern,” said Dr. Allan Preston, director of veterinary services for Manitoba Agriculture.

www.brandonsun.com...

Lucky me I live on a short drive away !

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   

By Majic

Is it worrisome that a nation with the world's second largest nuclear arsenal is researching biowarfare?

Maybe.

But as a citizen of that nation, I would be far more concerned if we weren't.

The justification for this is exactly the same as that for the "mini" nukes; and every time we enter into illegal territory concerning weapons it's all okay cos 'the big boys were going to do it first', never mind that we are the big boys.

I wish this kind of reasoning existed for civilians.

"I'm only growing this grass for research purposes officer. By night I'm a pro- active anti drugs campaigner, but I need to know my enemy!"

new topics

top topics

join