It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: 27000 Year Old Ice Age Infants Found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
The perfectly preserved skeletons of two ice age infants measuring 40 centimetres have been found buried under a mammoths shoulder blade bone in Krems, North Austria. Hailed as the first discovery of it's kind in Europe, the infants were found buried in a grave 5.5 metres below the ground on the banks of the Danube River with a pearl necklace made from mammoth ivory. The grave was next to an area that was inhabited by "homo sapiens fossilis" in ancient times.

www.abc.net.au
"It is the first discovery of a child's grave dating from this period," excavation manager Christine Neugebauer-Maresch told the newspaper Kurier.

"They may have been twins but we have not yet been able to establish that," she told Die Presse.

The age of the skeletons will be analysed by the Institute of Natural Sciences in Vienna, which will also determine the cause of death.

'Homo sapiens fossilis' came out of Asia during the ice age as Neanderthal Man was dying out, and mastered stone and wood but did not discover metal.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a fantastic find. These children's skeletons will tell us much about the life of people 27,000 years ago. They must have been civilised to some extent as they used jewels for decoration and buried their dead.

Those poor children, I wonder how they died at such a young age.

[edit on 24-9-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I wonder if they are mix a product of 'Homo sapiens and Neanderthal, that would be a great find.

Some experts believe that the Neanderthal blended with the new more strong emerging homo sapiens.

I read somewhere that in the coast of Spain some bones of children were found in which they look like a mix of the two homo spaiens and neanderthal.

[edit on 24-9-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Perhaps they were used as a sacrifce to the mammoth since the pearls were made out of mammoth bone and they were found buried with a mammoth.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Excellent find, Mayet. Thanks.

Hope you update re: the DNA nalaysis.

Kudos on your work - good to see so much of it on the boards.

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
A very interesting find. I would also suggest that thier burial being next to a Mammoth is very intruiging indeed; however, sacrifice is something which was not contrived much later than the date of these bones.

I could be wrong, however.

Luxifero

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
This is a fantastic find. These children's skeletons will tell us much about the life of people 27,000 years ago. They must have been civilised to some extent as they used jewels for decoration and buried their dead.

Actually, the use of such jawels and the covering of the grave by a mammoth bone is highly civilised for the time period. We are told that during this period they should be a stone-age tribe, however crafting a necklace out of bones is not an easy thing to do. Drilling the holes in fact can be very difficult.

Do you have any images of the item as I wasn't able to find one?

Originally posted by Mayet
Those poor children, I wonder how they died at such a young age.

Originally posted by Luxifero
A very interesting find. I would also suggest that thier burial being next to a Mammoth is very intruiging indeed; however, sacrifice is something which was not contrived much later than the date of these bones.

Luxifero brings up a good point however the first [major] known cases of human sacrifice I believe come from the Ancient Greeks, Aztecs, Phoenicians and Carthaginians and this was at a much later date.

Do you know what level of damage exists upon the body? Are they frozen with tissue samples intact or is it just bone?

As for people saying they could be mixed between mix homo sapiens and Neanderthal, I find this highly unlikely. I do believe gen-bank proved that their is more chance [and genetic compatability] between modern day humans and chimps than their is with a Neanderthal...in fact, I do remember an article said it was more than impossible and we would have better luck with a human and a chimp if we tried to cross breed...

new topics

top topics

join