It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has the U.S. abandoned the International Space Station?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
With the grounding of the U.S. Space Shuttle Fleet, the U.S., has abandoned the International Space Station. For all intents and purposes, it seems that the only country in the world which can supply and maintain the I.S.S. is Russia.

en.rian.ru...

This is an interesting link to Novosti, the Russian news and Information Agency.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
russia got it under control...I just cant believe they ditched Houston central....they said on cnn that the skeleton crew locked the door and handed control to the space station to Russia....and handed the keys to undisclosed security

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I think that this is nothing short of criminal. Certainly, I can understand NASA'S predicament over the Space Shuttle but it's difficult to comprehend how the Russians can continue to launch Soyuz spacecraft and the US has absolutely nothing (that we know about, anyway) to replace the Shuttles in the interim.

A prudent person might have considered having the Shuttles AND some sort of Apollo type spacecraft operating simultaneously.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Seems it's getting a wee bit expensive to run. In particular since the United States seems to be funding most all it's expenses. Dunno, but that's the way I feel about -- though there must be some sort of good scientific reasons that justify the money?

Dallas

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   
The only rockets that NASA or the USAF have are designed to carry small sattelites into Low Earth Orbit. Until the new ships come into service they won't be able to get enough cargo to the ISS to make it worth it.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I suppose no matter what the U.S. does or does not do re Shuttle, metalurgy alone for defence/offence purposes will keep them or other countries going up there maybe.

Dallas

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
The new CEV(?) will have a large cargo capacity, and is supposed to fly by 2012. They'll be able to service the ISS with that once it starts flying. And they're buying some Soyuz rockets to use between retirement of the Shuttle and activation of the CEV(?). The new rocket is suposed to be the seize or bigger than a Saturn V.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
The only rockets that NASA or the USAF have are designed to carry small sattelites into Low Earth Orbit. Until the new ships come into service they won't be able to get enough cargo to the ISS to make it worth it.

- The US has large rockets ya know.

I have mixed feelings about the ISS, its uber expensive, Nasa sinks billions into it every year. I think Nasa should make a site soley for people to see what kind of research is going on and has been done up there so far.

The US doesn't need something to fill the gap between the Shuttle and the CEV, the shuttles will be done in 2010, The CEV will take to space in 2012...Thats not much of a gap.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Well from what I read in another thread, they just bought a bunch of Soyuz rockets. I don't remember what thread, or where the article was from, but they had a link to an article that showed Congress approved the purchase of them.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Well from what I read in another thread, they just bought a bunch of Soyuz rockets. I don't remember what thread, or where the article was from, but they had a link to an article that showed Congress approved the purchase of them.

Really... I would appreciate a link...Since I thought that was illegal.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I suppose there cheaper and certainly we all pretty-much know reliable too. The russians have a great rocket system. When the Shuttle flights were cancelled the Russians were still effective with their Rockets.

Sending food and supplies and people up there. As well as sending people back down. My hat's off to those darn Russians -- and no failures!

Dallas

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 01:33 AM
link   
The US did more then its share of construction for the ISS.

Notice no new construction has really gone on since the Shuttle was grounded. Major parts of the ISS are so heavy that they cannot be lifted to the ISS by any other launcher currently in service besides the Shuttle.

The ESA's laboratory module Columbus is ready to go, but cannot be delivered into orbit because the Russians or anybody eles cant get it out there.

Then we could always get into the fact that Russia has used the ISS as its own space Hotel and they only charged 20 Million.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

Really... I would appreciate a link...Since I thought that was illegal.

I'll hunt it down either tonight or tomorrow.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I only tracked down this

NASA budget charts obtained by Space News indicate that 2 percent of NASAs aggregate budget through 2020 would be spent on Soyuz and cargo services for the space station. That information is omitted in an otherwise identical budget package released to reporters.

www.space.com...

Ive also come across The Iran Nonproliferation Act of 2000 which under Section 6 prohibits the U.S. Government from making payments in connection with ISS to the Russian space agency, organizations or entities under its control, or any other element of the Russian government

www.spaceref.com...

Im still looking this over though Im not too familar with it

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 02:36 AM
link   
*Like previously stated, NASA may buy a Soyuz. The U.S does have heavy lift rockets. Boeing's new 17 ton lift Delta IV Heavy rocket comes to mind.
www.boeing.com...

*60% of the ISS once completed will be American parts.

*The Russians have already said that they wouldn't care too much if America abandons the ISS. I bet they would be quick to invite China, since the U.S doesn't want China on the ISS.

[edit on 24-9-2005 by NWguy83]

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
I think that this is nothing short of criminal.

How, why? Is there even one piece of legal document that backs up your opinion?

new topics

top topics

join