It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions for people the are Eastern orthodox

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   
hey,

i know there are some EO people on ATS/BTS so i figured i would post this here. one of my professors that i highly respect in college is eastern orthodox and ive been kind of learning about what they believe. for those of you that dont know i am a christian in the missori synod lutheran denomination.

anyway, can anyone tell me what the EO believes on the following subjects i list and if anyone has been missori synod lutheran and has converted to EO can you tell me the main differences between the two on these subjects:

The divinity of Christ
Communion
Baptism
Marriage
homosexuality
original sin
the story of creation
The end times
role of woman
the demonic
People that speak in tongues ( i know this isnt a practice of lutheranism, but it is a big practice in pentecostal and nondenominational churches and i just want to know the EO churches POV on this
)

also i would also like to know how they differ from catholics. no offense to catholics or anything but i dont agree with ALOT of the catholic docturine so thats why i am asking.

Thanks a bunch!!

Kind Regards,
DigitalGrl

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Hi Digi/

I will answer to what am able.....

On the Divinity of Christ.....True God and perfect, consubstantial and of equal honour, co-enthroned and co-eternal with the Father...
Quote from scripture///All things were made by him;and without him was not anything made that was made(John 1,3;Heb. 1,3)
The Orthodox Church recognizes 7 ecumenical councils....The third Ecumenical council of Ephesus calls Jesus Christ
The fourth Ecumenical council of Chalcedon....

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
hey,

thanks helen! np about the length. this is exactly what i was looking for. of course if anyone else wants to chime in feel free

i have one more question however if you have time to answer

when i wrote the creation question down i should have explained what i was asking lol.

do they believe in a literal account of the creation story or do they think the story was symbolic and therefore embracing or believeing the theory of evolution? or do they believe that God created the world in a literal 7 days, or that 7 days is symbolic because the bible says a thousands years is like a day etc.., or do they think it is symbolic in the sense that the earth could be millions of years old?

my professor is an orthodox priest. you could never tell though. when he teaches he always says he is going to teach world religions from the point of view of that religion not a christian one and he truely does. thats why i respect him so much. he doesnt have an agenda. but he was a lutheran pastor for 25 years and so that struck me, because im lutheran and while i agree very much with the teachings of St. augustine and martin luther, none of the churches anymore seem to go by their example. i know some lutheran churches are all stuffy and strict but the docturine itself seems to forget about the unseen world, of angels and demons, and the temptations we go through. its emphasised that we do sin and that we ask for forgivness but to me we need tools for dealing with the other world.not like exorcims or anything. but satan isnt a comic book character to me and they kind of make it seem that way. i dont know lol.

anyway, i just read somewhere that EO believe that if you arent EO that you dont get into heaven is that true?

thanks again!!!
Kind Regards,
DigitalGRl

[edit on 10/01/2004 by DigitalGrl]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Hi Digi....

Hey, this is good!
Your going to have to believe everything I say now coz Im the only one that answered!

Just kidding!

Well,
Here is another excellent site(I'm still learning!)

An Online Orthodox Catechism.......QUOTE///
When God tells Moses ‘I am who I am’ (Ex.3:14), this means ‘I live, I am here, I am together with you’. At the same time this name emphasizes the superiority of God’s being over all other beings. He is the independent, primary, eternal being, the plenitude of being which is above being.
here

here is another site about the Divinity of Christ...Creature
or
Creator?
www.fatheralexander.org...

On how old the earth is....(reason I dont go into this , is because it is quite lengthy and , although I like reading, this needs concentration and at times i'm :bnghd:
....did I list this

OR .......Quote///2. Creation of the Earth, the Visible World.

After the creation of Heaven, the invisible, angelic world, God created out of nothing, by His word alone, earth, that is, the material from which He gradually made our visible, physical world, the visible sky, earth and all that is in them.

God could have created the world in a single instant, but since He wished from the very beginning that this world should live and develop step by step, He created it not in an instant, but over several periods of time, which in the Bible are called "days."

These "days" of creation were not the usual days that we know, consisting of twenty-four hours. Our days depend on the sun. However, during the first three "days" of creation there was no sun yet in existence, which means that the days described in Genesis could not have been the kind of days as we understand them.
The Bible was written by the Prophet Moses in the ancient Hebrew language, and in this language both "day" and a period of time are called by the same word Yom. It is impossible for us to know exactly what kind of days these were, even more so since we know that "one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day" (II Peter 3:8; Ps. 89:5).
Law of God

anyway, i just read somewhere that EO believe that if you arent EO that you dont get into heaven is that true?

Only God can judge......."Judge not, that ye be not judged," (Matt. 7:1), "for if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you" (Matt, 6:14).

ALSO..... "For He saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth [struggleth], but of God that showeth mercy" (Rom. 9:15-16).
AND...... "For what have I to do to judge them also that are without?
Do not ye judge them that are within?
But them that are without God judgeth" (1 Cor. 5:12-13). God "will have mercy on whom He will have mercy" (Rom 9:18).
So I guess I am in no position to judge anyone(I have previously)whether what or how they deal with their lives is up to them......

Quote///
blasphemy against the Holy Spirit (Matt. 12:1-32).
The Holy Spirit is, above all, the Spirit of Truth, as the Saviour loved to refer to Him. Accordingly, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is blasphemy against the Truth, conscious and persistent opposition to it. The same text makes it clear that even blasphemy against the Son of Man—i.e. the Lord Jesus Christ, the incarnate Son of God Himself may be forgiven men, as it may be uttered in error or in ignorance and, subsequently may be covered by conversion and repentance (an example of such a converted and repentant blasphemer is the Apostle Paul. (See Acts 26:11 and I Tim. 1:13.)

"Who will have all men to be saved" (I Tim. 2:4) and "Who enlightens every man born into the world" (Jn. 1.43), undoubtedly is leading them also towards salvation In His own way.
read here

There are also teachings of the parables.....the parable of the Publican and the Pharisee///
Through His narration of the parable on how two people — a Pharisee and a tax collector — prayed in the temple, the Lord shows what kind of prayer is required of the Lord’s followers so that it can attract His help and protection.
www.intratext.com...

The Gospel’s Parables....just click to whichever you want to read.
www.intratext.com...

Angels and demons.....You should read a book called ''The Soul after Death'' by Fr Seraphim Rose......Great book!

Being tempted by unseen forces is true/temptations.....We all fall into bad habits(whatever they may be)It's recognising these as being bad that begins the healing process......eg/if your sick and you dont go to the Dr, then how can the Dr help you?
Its the same with God.....how can He help if you are too proud to ask for help!

Hope that helps a bit more.....
Take care....
IX
helen

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
thanks helen,
that helps alot
i totally agree with the view of creation thing. i know evangelical and what not take it to mean the earth is only 6-10 thousand years old because of that verse in the bible but when i read that verse i always took it as meaning that God isnt restrained by time. it was an analogy so to speak...if that makes sense. i dont however support the idea of evolution and the big bang.

if i were to become EO would i have to pray to saints? honestly that is something that i dont think that i could do. i just believe that they only way to the father is through christ and that he is my mediator in prayer. when i think of the idea of prayer to the saints i feel like i would be doing something really wrong if you know what i mean. oh 2 more things lol sorry.....tell me if i got this right...from what i gather you guys dont support the idea of a pope right? you all believe in self governing? and you guys dont believe in the idea of rapture like evagelical, pentecostal, and nondenominational do right?

thanks again!!

Digitalgrl

[edit on 10/01/2004 by DigitalGrl]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I read your topic title and was going to suggest "U2U helen670", but I see that you have already met the unofficial Supreme Hieromonk of the antipodes of ATS.

Comparison shopping is such an interesting exercise, even when it's just fenestral!

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Masked/

Comparison shopping is such an interesting exercise, even when it's just fenestral!

Shopping I know,
Exercise is,
well, interesting,
But what is JUST FENESTRAL???

how are you masked

and congratulations on tying the knot......I dont know how I know?
but may God bless you both.

helen

Digi...........If you are interested in Orthodoxy, it's not just a matter of going and becoming anOrthodox Christian....
You need to speak to a priest(whereabout r u ? u2u me if you like.)
about the Saints issue....again it would be best to speak to a priest...or maybe a priests wife (feel more comfortable)OR this web site has many converts and tell of their experiences...I guess you can try there.

HERE

Yes the Apostolic church is self governing....as was in the early church....
No rapture,
No chialism,
No favouritism,
Actually real old fashioned and no modernism...God is the same yesterday,today and tomorrow.
This site is also well written....From the book,
The Illumined Heart:
The Ancient Christian Path of Transformation ......
Frederica Mathews
www.frederica.com...

Take care...
helen

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
You have voted helen670 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

thanks a bunch helen! i really appreciate your patience in answering all my questions

Kind regards,
DigitalGrl

top topics

join